Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Hungarian - January challenge thread

Tags: Hungarian
 Language Learning Forum : Multilingual Lounge Post Reply
1549 messages over 194 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 79 ... 193 194 Next >>
maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4863 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, Bulgarian, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Latin, Modern Hebrew

Message 625 of 1549
18 May 2011 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:

maxval wrote:

2. Verbs having two stems, one with "sz", and another with vowel + "z". Imperative is always with the "z" stem. Only 3 such words: emlékszik, igyekszik, szándékszik - emlékezik, igyekezik, szándékozik.
This is excellent info because I've always wondered about emlékszik and how it tends to behave strangely and yet there is no explanation about it in my book. Does this mean that I can say in normal conversation emlékezem and it means the same as emlékszem?

Yes. In present indicative both stems can be used. In imperative only the "z"-stem.
2 persons have voted this message useful

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4863 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 626 of 1549
18 May 2011 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
maxval wrote:

3. Verbs with stems ending in two different consonants that add a vowel between the two consonants to their imperative forms where the ending begins with a consonant (the added vowel depends on the vowel harmony type of the stem). The problem here is the following: some of these verbs sometimes have double behaviour: they can add endings to their second stem, but they can add endings to their primary, dictionary stem too. There is no clear, general rule which verbs can be conjugated both with their primary and secondary stems, and which ones only with their secondary stems.

The following verbs are here:
- Verbs whose stem ends in -d.
- Verbs whose stem ends in -r.
- Some of the verbs whose stem ends in -l:
-- all verbs whose stem ends in -nl, -tl, -zsl,
-- some of the verbs ending in z - there are about 20 such verbs, I can give you the full list, if you wish.
-- some other verbs, about 25 verbs, I can give you the full list too.
Again, yes please, the lists would be great.

1st group:
áramlik, aránylik, bicsaklik, bomlik, bűzlik, csillámlik, csuklik, csuszamlik, döglik, feneklik, feslik, fénylik, foszlik, fuldoklik, gyülemlik, hajlik, haldoklik, hasonlik, hámlik, háramlik, iramlik, kéklik, ködlik, omlik, oszlik, ömlik, örvénylik, özönlik, romlik, sereglik, sikamlik, sillámlik, szólamlik, tündöklik, türemlik, világlik, villámlik, vöröslik, zajlik

2nd group:
bogárzik, burjánzik, dohányzik, érzik, fajzik, fellegzik, habzik, hangzik, hiányzik, hólyagzik, hullámzik, ivarzik, lélegzik, magzik, nyálzik, patakzik, pattogzik, párzik, porzik, rajzik, sugárzik, tajtékzik, vérengzik, vérzik, virágzik
3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6946 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 627 of 1549
18 May 2011 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:
hribecek wrote:
My book is good but you're better!

This depends on the methodology of the books author!

In many books you will read that "van" has a a future tense and a conditional. This may be considered true from a practical point of view, but this is simply not true from a linguistic point of view. So this a "lie" that is good on short term, but on long term is not good to tell to the student something that is not true because of practical reasons. This is my opinion.

In reality in Hungarian there are two separate verbs "van" and "lesz". "Lesz" is not future tense, and is definitely NOT the future tense of "van". It is true that "lesz" has a sense of futurity, but this is not the grammatical category of the verb, only its meaning. How else you will explain sentences like "Ott fogok lenni", future in more future?

For some reason, I keep thinking that "ott fogok lenni" is a bit verbose or maybe more emphatic than "ott leszek" (it makes me think of the modern perceived difference between "I shall be there" rather than "I'll/I will be there")
1 person has voted this message useful

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4863 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 628 of 1549
19 May 2011 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
maxval wrote:
hribecek wrote:
My book is good but you're better!

This depends on the methodology of the books author!

In many books you will read that "van" has a a future tense and a conditional. This may be considered true from a practical point of view, but this is simply not true from a linguistic point of view. So this a "lie" that is good on short term, but on long term is not good to tell to the student something that is not true because of practical reasons. This is my opinion.

In reality in Hungarian there are two separate verbs "van" and "lesz". "Lesz" is not future tense, and is definitely NOT the future tense of "van". It is true that "lesz" has a sense of futurity, but this is not the grammatical category of the verb, only its meaning. How else you will explain sentences like "Ott fogok lenni", future in more future?

For some reason, I keep thinking that "ott fogok lenni" is a bit verbose or maybe more emphatic than "ott leszek" (it makes me think of the modern perceived difference between "I shall be there" rather than "I'll/I will be there")

Yes, this is true. It is more emphatic.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5139 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 629 of 1549
20 May 2011 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
CHAPTER 10 (I’ve just realized that I wrote chapter 10 for the last one too! It was a mistake, the last one was chapter 9. I'll correct it)

Other chapters - 1 (page 58), 2 (page 6o), 3 (page 62), 4 (page 64), 5 (page 65), 6 (page 67), 7 (page 69), 8 (page 71), 9 (page 73)

AZ ESERNYŐ ALATT - A TIZEDIK FEJEZET

Lassan a kocsi kezd mozogni és felettük a fiúk hallják a jaguárt, hogy nem tetszik a mozgalom. Amikor az állatok a kocsit látják, kezdenek pánikba esni. A vaddisznók elfutnak a másik oldalhoz a helyiségben. A jaguár a kocsi tetőn egyszerre elugrik a tetőről és leszáll egy ketrecre, ahol sok majom van! Minden majom sikított és leugrik a ketrecről. A fiúknak kell megállniuk a kocsiban, mert most sok majom fut a kocsi kőré és két jaguár meg akarja őket ölni.

Lassan tovább vezet Elvis és már a férfihez közel vannak. Látják, hogy az egyik jaguár már fogta egy majmot és most őt/azt eszi. Végül a kocsi érkezik a férfihez , így Elvis kissén kinyíti az ablakot és mondja –

„Mondja el nekünk, hogyan onnan menekülhetünk és neki engedünk meg beszállni a kocsiba! Vihetük el magát a kórházba. Mit mond?”

Egyúttal, amikor beszél Elvis, a másik oldalon a kocsinál, Benny kiszáll a kocsiból. Óvatosan de gyorsan fut öt méterre, ahova van a fegyver. Gyorsan felszédi a fegyvert és és visszafut a kocsihoz. Beszáll és becsukja az ajtót.

„Engedd meg nekem beszállni, legy szíves! Meghalok, kell a kórházba mennem!” Szólja a férfi.

„Megengedük azt neki, először mondja el, honnan menekülhetünk!” Felelje Elvis.

„Van egy nagy ajtó abban az alagútban.” Rámutatja az alagútra, ahol már voltak a fiúk.

„Igen, azt tuduk, de zarva van és azt tudja is maga!” Mondja Elvis.

Már a férfi nagyon beteg és a hangja nagyon vékony.

„Rendben, legyetek szívesek, van egy másik ajtó az egyik nagy ketrecben, a fal mellett a helyiség hátul. Segítsetek, legyetek szívesek!” Kérlel a férfi.

„Na jó, nem hazudunk olyan, mint maga.” Elvis megfordul és kinyíti a hátsó ajtót.

A férfi lassan mászik az ajtóhoz és bemászik a kocsiba, de ebben a pillanatban jön az egyik jaguár és megharapja a férfit és kihúzza őt a kocsiból.   Gyorsan Elvis becsukja az ajtót. Bennynek a fegyver van és le lehet a jaguárt lőni, de a fiúk nem ölik meg az állatokat és nekik az állatok sokkal fontosok, mint a férfiak. A jaguár a férfit megeszi! A fiúknak nem tetszik ezt látni, így kezdenek az új tervükkel.

Elvis tolatja a kocsit és vezet irányval a nagy ketrechez a helyiség hátul.
Ebben a pillanatban az első ajtó nyílik ki és a két férfi bejön a helyiségbe. Ezúttal nagy fegyvereik és páncélük is vannak!    

I'm sure you've noticed that I use the formal you 'maga' and 'maguk' forms when the boys talk to the men and the informal 'te'and 'ti' forms when the men talk to the boys. Would this be realistic in this crazy situation!?

I don't mind if it is wrong though because I decided to do it that way to practise both forms.

Köszönöm előre

Edited by hribecek on 20 May 2011 at 12:40pm

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4863 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 630 of 1549
20 May 2011 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:

I'm sure you've noticed that I use the formal you 'maga' and 'maguk' forms when the boys talk to the men and the informal 'te'and 'ti' forms when the men talk to the boys. Would this be realistic in this crazy situation!?

I have no time now for the corrections, but tomorrow I will do it! But I will answer now to your question.

Yes, this is called in Hungarian "csendőrpertu"... :-)

Normally both sides use the same form of T-V distinction!

There can be normally a difference in use between two sides only when one side is a child, and the other a grown up person. In this case it is normal if the child uses formal verb form and the adult uses informal verb form. But if it is a bigger child, an adolescent, than nowadays it is considered rare and strange. For example in school the teacher usually addresses children under 14 years informally, but children above 14 are usually addressed formally.

In any other case using different forms of T-V verbs is csendőrpertu - it means the sides are not equal, the name csendőrpertu means literally "gendarmerie informal", the gendarme using informal form, and the civil person using formal form.

Since 20 years there are big changes. Now it is normal to address a stranger of similar age in informal way, 20 years ago it was considered abnormal.

A special, lesser form of "csendőrpertu" is common in addressing people even now. Historically it was of normal use. For example it was absolutely normal the following situation: the 17 years old son of a landowner and a 50 years old peasant working for the landowner, in this case the peasant addressed the 17 years old boy as "mister + 1st name", but the boy addressed the peasant as "1st name" only or if he wanted to express more courtesy, as "uncle + 1st name".

These forms are so persistent that they were normally used in the communist era too. For example in a state enterprise a 35-years old manager was addressed by the cleaning woman or doorman or other service person as "comrade + last name", but the 35-years old manager addressed the 50-years old cleaning woman or the 65-years old doorman as "uncle + 1st name" / "aunt + 1st name" or even simply as "1st name" only in case of men.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6946 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 631 of 1549
20 May 2011 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:
hribecek wrote:

I have no time now for the corrections, but tomorrow I will do it! But I will answer now to your question.

Yes, this is called in Hungarian "csendőrpertu"... :-)

Normally both sides use the same form of T-V distinction!

There can be normally a difference in use between two sides only when one side is a child, and the other a grown up person. In this case it is normal if the child uses formal verb form and the adult uses informal verb form. But if it is a bigger child, an adolescent, than nowadays it is considered rare and strange. For example in school the teacher usually addresses children under 14 years informally, but children above 14 are usually addressed formally.

In any other case using different forms of T-V verbs is csendőrpertu - it means the sides are not equal, the name csendőrpertu means literally "gendarmerie informal", the gendarme using informal form, and the civil person using formal form.

Since 20 years there are big changes. Now it is normal to address a stranger of similar age in informal way, 20 years ago it was considered abnormal.

A special, lesser form of "csendőrpertu" is common in addressing people even now. Historically it was of normal use. For example it was absolutely normal the following situation: the 17 years old son of a landowner and a 50 years old peasant working for the landowner, in this case the peasant addressed the 17 years old boy as "mister + 1st name", but the boy addressed the peasant as "1st name" only or if he wanted to express more courtesy, as "uncle + 1st name".

These forms are so persistent that they were normally used in the communist era too. For example in a state enterprise a 35-years old manager was addressed by the cleaning woman or doorman or other service person as "comrade + last name", but the 35-years old manager addressed the 50-years old cleaning woman or the 65-years old doorman as "uncle + 1st name" / "aunt + 1st name" or even simply as "1st name" only in case of men.

Just as a comment, I've been addressing my barber who's much older than I as "Feri bácsi" rather than "Frank" or "Feri".

hribecek, you can also see this kind of addressing in Kodály's singspiel "Háry János". the Austrian nobles address the Hungarian coachman as "Marci" even though he is presumably older than most of them. On the other hand the main character Háry János who is a younger soldier and his girlfriend, Örzse address him as "Marci bácsi".
3 persons have voted this message useful

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4863 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 632 of 1549
21 May 2011 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

Just as a comment, I've been addressing my barber who's much older than I as "Feri bácsi" rather than "Frank" or "Feri".

This is because you are the client, he is much older, and you wish to express courtesy!

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 1549 messages over 194 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version