Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Hungarian - January challenge thread

Tags: Hungarian
 Language Learning Forum : Multilingual Lounge Post Reply
1549 messages over 194 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 104 ... 193 194 Next >>
hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5139 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 825 of 1549
03 November 2011 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:
hribecek wrote:
maxval wrote:

hribecek wrote:
Stefan ebben a pillanatban hallotta meg a férfit és azonnal kezdett
futni abba az irányba.

Melyik irányba?

Irányba a férfi hanghoz.

There is no prepositions in Hungarian, you have just tried to invent a Hungarian
preposition... :-)

Stefan ebben a pillanatban hallotta meg a férfit és azonnal kezdett futni a hang
irányába.

I've never quite understood how to use this construction properly, ever since I used it a few times in my 'under the umbrella' story. So thanks for clearing that up for me! It was worth a try to force an alien object into your language. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5139 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 826 of 1549
03 November 2011 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:

Question: what is the relationshio between "nem látta meg Stefan a hátizsákját" and
"Terry döntött, hogy fog kezdeni mászni"? I suppose you didnt want to say what you said
in this sentence...

hribecek wrote:

I did mean it like this but maybe I was expecting too much of the reader to read
between the lines. The relationship between the sentences is that Terry didn't see
Stefan's backpack and so started climbing the mountain, if he'd seen the rucksack, he
would have known that Stefan must be coming back soon because Stefan wouldn't have just
left his rucksack.

maxval wrote:

I understand. But you said something different. You said "Stefan didnt see his own
backpack, and for this reason Terry started climbing"!

"Nem látta meg Stefan a hátizsákját" means "Stefan didnt see his (own) "backpack" .

If you want to say "(he/she) didnt see Stefans backpack", then it will be "(ő) nem
látta meg Stefan hátizsákját" or "(ő) nem látta meg Stefannak a hátizsákját".

Oh! Okay, I see why it sounded so strange now. The definite article makes such a big difference to the meaning of the sentence!

Do you know any Slavic language speakers who have learned or are learning Hungarian? Obviously excepting Bulgarians, it must be really hard for them to come to terms with the importance of articles in Hungarian (they have enough trouble with English) and the definite and indefinite forms. I mean because they don't have articles themselves.

Edited by hribecek on 03 November 2011 at 12:07pm

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4863 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, Bulgarian, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Latin, Modern Hebrew

Message 827 of 1549
03 November 2011 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
maxval wrote:

Question: what is the relationshio between "nem látta meg Stefan a hátizsákját" and
"Terry döntött, hogy fog kezdeni mászni"? I suppose you didnt want to say what you said
in this sentence...

hribecek wrote:

I did mean it like this but maybe I was expecting too much of the reader to read
between the lines. The relationship between the sentences is that Terry didn't see
Stefan's backpack and so started climbing the mountain, if he'd seen the rucksack, he
would have known that Stefan must be coming back soon because Stefan wouldn't have just
left his rucksack.

maxval wrote:

I understand. But you said something different. You said "Stefan didnt see his own
backpack, and for this reason Terry started climbing"!

"Nem látta meg Stefan a hátizsákját" means "Stefan didnt see his (own) "backpack" .

If you want to say "(he/she) didnt see Stefans backpack", then it will be "(ő) nem
látta meg Stefan hátizsákját" or "(ő) nem látta meg Stefannak a hátizsákját".

Oh! Okay, I see why it sounded so strange now. The definite article makes such a big
difference to the meaning of the sentence!

Do you know any Slavic language speakers who have learned or are learning Hungarian?
Obviously excepting Bulgarians, it must be really hard for them to come to terms with
the importance of articles in Hungarian (they have enough trouble with English) and the
definite and indefinite forms. I mean because they don't have articles themselves.

I know Slavic native speakers who speak perfect Hungarian. The only problem for them is
the correct use of verbal prefixes: when pegged to the verb, when after the verb, and
when separated from the verb. This is something 99 % of non-Hungarians cannot learn. I
know only two persons who use even verbal prefixes correctly: a German and a Polish
native speaker.

For most Slavic speakers the main problem is the pronunciation. If someone doesnt have
good musical capacities, then it is impossible to learn the correct pronunciation. But
this is valid for all languages! The hardest is for Eastern Slavs, and the easiest for
Western Slavs.

For example for a Bulgarian, it is something absolutely strange that there may be a
short stressed syllable and an unstressed long syllable. In Bulgarian, Serbian, Russian
there are only stressed and long syllables and unstressed and short syllables. However
this is not a problems for Czechs and Slovaks, as they have also long and short vowels
in any syllable.

I was asked many times by beginners "why are there many stresses in one word in
Hungarian?". Then I have to explain:
- in HU stress is always on the 1st syllable, there can be more than one stress only in
long compound words,
- unstressed syllables are also pronounced clearly, there is no vowel reduction,
- short and long vowels have no relation to stress.

In Bulgarian for example there are 8 vowels. 6 of them can be long or short, in
stressed syllable they are long and in unstressed are short. (The other 2 vowels are
always short, because they are only in unstressed syllables.) Longness-shortness plays
no role.

For a Bulgarian, Hungarian pronunciation is difficult. But for a Hungarian its also
difficult to learn correct Bulgarian pronunciation because of the vowel reduction. This
is something absolutely uncommon for a Hungarian. In Bulgarian there are 6 vowels in
stressed syllables, and only 4 in unstressed syllables, and only two vowels can be both
in stressed and unstressed syllales, all other are either in stressed or in unstressed.
(Only "e" and "i" can be both in unstressed and stressed syllables, they have no
reduction.)

P. S. - Not all Slavic languages lack the article. In Bulgarian there is definitive
article.

3 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5139 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 828 of 1549
03 November 2011 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for that insight. I always find it interesting to hear which problems are experienced by which nationalities in different languages. Something really easy for one nationality can be really difficult for another.

For example my Spanish friend, who's really good at English, has problems with expression possession, he always says things like 'the mother of my friend' instead of 'my friend's mother'. Czechs have no problem with this but really struggle with things that are easy for Spaniards.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5139 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 829 of 1549
03 November 2011 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:
hribecek wrote:

Do you know any Slavic language speakers who have learned or are learning Hungarian?
Obviously excepting Bulgarians, it must be really hard for them to come to terms with
the importance of articles in Hungarian (they have enough trouble with English) and the
definite and indefinite forms. I mean because they don't have articles themselves.

P. S. - Not all Slavic languages lack the article. In Bulgarian there is definitive
article.

I know Bulgarians have articles. That's what I meant by 'excepting Bulgarians'.

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4863 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 830 of 1549
04 November 2011 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
Thanks for that insight. I always find it interesting to hear which
problems are experienced by which nationalities in different languages. Something
really easy for one nationality can be really difficult for another.

For example my Spanish friend, who's really good at English, has problems with
expression possession, he always says things like 'the mother of my friend' instead of
'my friend's mother'. Czechs have no problem with this but really struggle with things
that are easy for Spaniards.

Let me tell about English!

For me - a Hungarian native speaker - there are four main problems in English:
- it is much harder to understand spoken English than written English,
- there are too many dialects, language versions, every one with its own pronunciation
specialities,
- there are too many vowels, and it is not easy to differentiate some of them, for
example for me it is hard to hear the difference between the vowels in "bad" / "bed"
and "but" / "box",
- making the difference when to use past simple tense and when present perfect tense.

I think everything else is a matter of practice.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5139 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 831 of 1549
06 November 2011 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
A KILENCEDIK FEJEZET – A HÁROM PÚPOS SZIGET

Richard tovább ment le a hegyen és tovább problémái voltak, mert a hegyoldal nagyon meredek és csúszós volt. Most pár veszélyes szikla volt és Richardnak át kellett mennie. Erősen tartotta az oldalt az egyik sziklán és lassan ment az arcával a sziklához, mert az út nagyon kis volt. Amikor tartotta a sziklaoldalt, hirtelen érezte, hogy a szikla mozog és fog esni. Gyorsan tovább ment a sziklaoldal előtt és majdnem már ment a szikla mellé, amikor a szikla le kezdett csúszni és Richardnak kellett ugrania a nagyobb út irányába, talán egy méter tőle.

Stefan és Sam már elértek arra a helyre, ahol volt Terry és rájöttek, hogy Terry már nincs. Stefan nem volt mérges, mert ezelőtt aggódott Terry miatt, hogy talán Terrynek már rosszabb van. ’Amikor Terry itt nincs, ez jelent, hogy nem olyan beteg’. Mondta magának.   Sam jól volt, de sajnos vérzett a lábán és a kezén és érezte magát egy kicsit gyengén.

„Stefan, kellene pihennem pár percig, mert tovább vérzek és akarok valamit tenni a sebekre.” Megmagyárazta Sam.

„Rendben, a hátizsákomban pár kötés van. Akarod őket?” Kérdezte Stefan.

„Igen, kötések jók lennének. Kellene innem is. Azt hiszed, hogy az apád minkét keres?” Kérdezte Sam.

„ez lehet.   Örülök, hogy jól van, de remélem, hogy nem ment messze, mert valahol a kutyák még vannak.” Válaszolta Stefan.

„Igazad van, jobban teszed, ha a névét kiabálod.   Lehet, hogy közel van.” Adott tanácsot Sam.

Stefan kezdte kiabálni Terry névét, de Terry nem válaszolt.   Sam leült és felvette a kötéseket, közben Stefan tovább kiabált Terry névét.

Terry már a hegytetejére érte el, nagyon fáradt volt, de ezúttal ment lassan és párszor megállt, mert akart pihenni, hogy nincs megint problémája a szívével. Leült egy sziklára és kivett egy italt a hátizsákjából, szomjas volt. Sokat ivott és jobban érezte magát. Amikor beivott, meghallott valamit mögötte a ködben. Hallgatott és biztos benne volt, hogy valaki vagy valami mögötte van.

„Stefan, az te vagy? Sam, Richard? Vagyok itt.... Ki megy ott?” Kérdezte Terry, de senki sem válaszolt.

Terry azt meghallta, hogy valami lélegzik és hogy kövek mozognak.

„Ki van ott? Hallok téged. Mit csinálsz? Mondj meg valamit.” Mondta.

Terry azt érezte, hogy valami vagy valaki állt a ködben és nem tetszett neki, hogy nem válaszol.

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4863 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 832 of 1549
06 November 2011 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:

Richard tovább ment le a hegyen és tovább problémái voltak, mert a hegyoldal nagyon meredek és csúszós volt. Most pár veszélyes szikla volt és Richardnak át kellett mennie.

Richard tovább ment le a hegyen és további problémái voltak, mert a hegyoldal nagyon meredek és csúszós volt. Most pár veszélyes szikla volt és Richardnak át kellett mennie rajtuk.

hribecek wrote:

Erősen tartotta az oldalt az egyik sziklán és lassan ment az arcával a sziklához, mert az út nagyon kis volt.

Ezt a mondatot nem értem!

hribecek wrote:

Amikor tartotta a sziklaoldalt, hirtelen érezte, hogy a szikla mozog és fog esni.

Amikor tartotta a sziklaoldalt, hirtelen érezte, hogy a szikla mozog és le fog esni.

De ezzel a mondattal valami baj van: ki vagy mi tartotta a sziklaoldalt és hol?

hribecek wrote:

Gyorsan tovább ment a sziklaoldal előtt és majdnem már ment a szikla mellé, amikor a szikla le kezdett csúszni és Richardnak kellett ugrania a nagyobb út irányába, talán egy méter tőle.

Gyorsan tovább ment a sziklaoldal előtt és majdnem már elment a szikla mellett, amikor a szikla le kezdett csúszni és Richardnak kellett ugrania a nagyobb út irányába, talán egy méterre tőle.

hribecek wrote:
Stefan és Sam már elértek arra a helyre, ahol volt Terry és rájöttek, hogy Terry már nincs.

Stefan és Sam már elértek arra a helyre, ahol volt Terry és rájöttek, hogy Terry már nincs ott.

hribecek wrote:
Stefan nem volt mérges, mert ezelőtt aggódott Terry miatt, hogy talán Terrynek már rosszabb van.

Mi rosszabb Terrynek?

hribecek wrote:
Amikor Terry itt nincs, ez jelent, hogy nem olyan beteg’. Mondta magának.   Sam jól volt, de sajnos vérzett a lábán és a kezén és érezte magát egy kicsit gyengén.

Ha Terry itt nincs, ez azt jelenti, hogy nem olyan beteg’. Mondta magának.   Sam jól volt, de sajnos vérzett a lábán és a kezén és érezte magát egy kicsit gyengén.

hribecek wrote:
„Stefan, kellene pihennem pár percig, mert tovább vérzek és akarok valamit tenni a sebekre.” Megmagyárazta Sam.

„Stefan, kellene pihennem pár percig, mert tovább vérzek és akarok valamit tenni a sebekre.” magyarázta Sam.

hribecek wrote:
„Rendben, a hátizsákomban pár kötés van. Akarod őket?” Kérdezte Stefan.

OK, but "pár kötés" is not good. Better: "kötszer".

hribecek wrote:
„Igen, kötések jók lennének. Kellene innem is. Azt hiszed, hogy az apád minkét keres?” Kérdezte Sam.

„Igen, a kötszer jó lenne. Kellene innom is. Azt hiszed, hogy az apád keres minket?” Kérdezte Sam.

hribecek wrote:
„ez lehet.   Örülök, hogy jól van, de remélem, hogy nem ment messze, mert valahol a kutyák még vannak.” Válaszolta Stefan.

Lehet.   Örülök, hogy jól van, de remélem, hogy nem ment messze, mert valahol a kutyák még vannak.” Válaszolta Stefan.

hribecek wrote:
„Igazad van, jobban teszed, ha a névét kiabálod.   Lehet, hogy közel van.” Adott tanácsot Sam.

„Igazad van, jobban teszed, ha a nevét kiabálod.   Lehet, hogy közel van.” Adott tanácsot Sam.

hribecek wrote:
Stefan kezdte kiabálni Terry névét, de Terry nem válaszolt.   Sam leült és felvette a kötéseket, közben Stefan tovább kiabált Terry névét.

Stefan kezdte kiabálni Terry neét, de Terry nem válaszolt.   Sam leült és felvette a kötszert, közben Stefan tovább kiabálta Terry nevét.

hribecek wrote:
Terry már a hegytetejére érte el, nagyon fáradt volt, de ezúttal ment lassan és párszor megállt, mert akart pihenni, hogy nincs megint problémája a szívével. Leült egy sziklára és kivett egy italt a hátizsákjából, szomjas volt. Sokat ivott és jobban érezte magát. Amikor beivott, meghallott valamit mögötte a ködben. Hallgatott és biztos benne volt, hogy valaki vagy valami mögötte van.

Terry már elért a hegy tetejére, nagyon fáradt volt, de ezúttal ment lassan és párszor megállt, mert akart pihenni, hogy ne legyen megint problémája a szívével. Leült egy sziklára és kivett egy italt a hátizsákjából, szomjas volt. Sokat ivott és jobban érezte magát. Amikor befejezte az ivást, meghallott valamit maga mögött a ködben. Hallgatott és biztos benne volt, hogy valaki vagy valami mögötte van.

hribecek wrote:
„Stefan, az te vagy? Sam, Richard? Vagyok itt.... Ki megy ott?” Kérdezte Terry, de senki sem válaszolt.

„Stefan, az te vagy? Sam, Richard? Itt vagyok itt.... Ki megy ott?” Kérdezte Terry, de senki sem válaszolt.

hribecek wrote:
Terry azt meghallta, hogy valami lélegzik és hogy kövek mozognak.

Terry meghallotta, hogy valami lélegzik és hogy kövek mozognak.

hribecek wrote:
„Ki van ott? Hallok téged. Mit csinálsz? Mondj meg valamit.” Mondta.

„Ki van ott? Hallak téged. Mit csinálsz? Mondj meg valamit.” Mondta.

hallok - for 3rd person object
hallak - for 2nd person object

hribecek wrote:
Terry azt érezte, hogy valami vagy valaki állt a ködben és nem tetszett neki, hogy nem válaszol.

Edited by maxval on 06 November 2011 at 8:47pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 1549 messages over 194 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version