Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Hungarian - January challenge thread

Tags: Hungarian
 Language Learning Forum : Multilingual Lounge Post Reply
1549 messages over 194 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 128 ... 193 194 Next >>
maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4862 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, Bulgarian, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Latin, Modern Hebrew

Message 1017 of 1549
15 January 2012 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
maxval wrote:

You need to make difference between "volt" and "lett".
You're right, this is a recurring mistake of mine and I always seem to forget about in the next post. I understand the difference but can't seem to remember to distinguish between them in my posts. Hopefully writing this reply will drum it into my head!

Writing down something always helps. When studying Latin endings, I used to make tables. It is better than simple trying to memorize. I even was able to "discover" valuable regularities, that werent told by the grammar books.

I think it is a big error in many Hungarian grammars that they say "lesz" is future tense of "van".

No! In reality "van" and "lesz" are two separate verbs. The verb "van" doesnt have future tense, only present and past, and the verb "lesz" has all three tenses. The basic form of the verb "lesz" is not future, it is present, but it has a SENSE of futurity. I think that telling to the students that "lesz" is future of "van" is a big methodological mistake, because later when they discover the past tense of "lesz", they dont understand it: and it is a real mess, how it is possible that a future form of a present verb has past tense that is different from the past form of the present verb??? The easiest thing in Hungarian are the tenses, they are only 3 (in reality 2 and half, as future in many cases is obsolete), so there is no need to complicate things.
2 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 1018 of 1549
15 January 2012 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:

I think it is a big error in many Hungarian grammars that they say "lesz" is future tense of "van".

No! In reality "van" and "lesz" are two separate verbs. The verb "van" doesnt have future tense, only present and past, and the verb "lesz" has all three tenses. The basic form of the verb "lesz" is not future, it is present, but it has a SENSE of futurity. I think that telling to the students that "lesz" is future of "van" is a big methodological mistake, because later when they discover the past tense of "lesz", they dont understand it: and it is a real mess, how it is possible that a future form of a present verb has past tense that is different from the past form of the present verb??? The easiest thing in Hungarian are the tenses, they are only 3 (in reality 2 and half, as future in many cases is obsolete), so there is no need to complicate things.

But for example, how would you say "he'll be happy about that"? "boldog lesz arról"

Do you have an example of when "lesz" has only a present meaning?

Does "van" have an infinitive form too? Obviously I know that "lenni" is used (to further confuse students!) but is there something like "vanni"?
1 person has voted this message useful

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4862 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 1019 of 1549
15 January 2012 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
maxval wrote:

But for example, how would you say "he'll be happy about that"? "boldog lesz arról"

Do you have an example of when "lesz" has only a present meaning?

Does "van" have an infinitive form too? Obviously I know that "lenni" is used (to further confuse students!) but is there something like "vanni"?

The verb "van" has no future tense. It has an infinitive "vanni", but is used only in the phrase "vanni van". In all other cases "lenni" is used instead.

"Lesz" never has a present meaning, it is always future, but it is still a present tense verb, its future tense form is "lenni fog" or "majd lesz".

Edited by maxval on 15 January 2012 at 5:29pm

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4862 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 1020 of 1549
15 January 2012 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:

boldog lesz attól/amiatt

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 1021 of 1549
16 January 2012 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
Ive just translated the following letter on another thread here and just in case you (Maxval) don't notice it there, I'm posting it here too. I found translating to be a little more difficult than my stories because I had to try to follow the example and not make up my own way of saying something.

Dear James,
I send this letter to you to reply to the letter which you sent me last week. I'm pleased to know that your work is going well and that you have settled into your new house in Manchester.
I'm good, my University studies are going well although learning languages is difficult. Last August, me and my family went on holiday to Spani, we enjoyed ourselves very much and we saw many beautiful places, we swam in the sea and we loved going to Madrid and we think that it is an incredible city. I met a beautiful Spanish girl there called Maria and we still talk by e-mail and phone, I'm going to see her in Spain next month.
I still have the same hobbies, this morning I played a football match and my team won 2-0. I'm still learning languages and I still do boxing. Tomorrow I'm going to the cinema to watch the new movie "Baby Fockers", I love these films!
Do you miss London? I hope that you can visit me in the near future my friend?

Kedves James
Feladom ezt a levelet, ahogy válasz a levelnek, amit a mult héten feladtál nekem. Örülök annak, hogy neked jól megy a munkádban és hogy már kényelmes vagy az új házodban Manchesterben.
Jól vagyok, a tanulás egyetemen jól megy, bár nyelvtanulás nehéz.
A mult Augusztusban, én és a családom Spanyolországba szabadságra mentünk. Éreztük magunkat nagyon jól és láttunk sok szép helyet. Úsztunk a tengerben és Madrid nekünk nagyon tetszett, szerintünk nagyszerű város. Ott találkoztam egy csinos spanyol lányt, a neve Maria és tovább beszéltünk emaillel és a telefonnal, a jövű hónapban elmegyek hozzá spanyolországba.
Még az ugyanaz hobbaim vannak, ma délelőtt fociztam és nyert a csapatom 2-o. Tovébb tanulok nyelveket és tovább bokszom. Holnap a moziba megyek a filmre "Baby Fockers", ezeket a filmeket imádom!
Hiányzik neked London? Azt remélem, hogy nemsokára meglátogathatsz engem, barátom.

Edited by hribecek on 16 January 2012 at 12:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4862 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 1022 of 1549
16 January 2012 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 

hribecek wrote:
Dear James,
I send this letter to you to reply to the letter which you sent me last week. I'm pleased to know that your work is going well and that you have settled into your new house in Manchester.
I'm good, my University studies are going well although learning languages is difficult. Last August, me and my family went on holiday to Spani, we enjoyed ourselves very much and we saw many beautiful places, we swam in the sea and we loved going to Madrid and we think that it is an incredible city. I met a beautiful Spanish girl there called Maria and we still talk by e-mail and phone, I'm going to see her in Spain next month.
I still have the same hobbies, this morning I played a football match and my team won 2-0. I'm still learning languages and I still do boxing. Tomorrow I'm going to the cinema to watch the new movie "Baby Fockers", I love these films!

First, lets do an experiment. I didnt look your translation! I will do now a totally new translation of the original English text. Later today, I will see your text too, and will correct any errors if there are errors. Please not the I will do not only a grammatically correct translation, but also a "full" translation, I mean I will adapt the letter to Hungarian. You know about the 5 levels of translation, I think. OK?

Kedves James!

Ezzel a levelemmel a múlt heti leveledre válaszolok. Örülök, hogy munkáddal kapcsolatban minden rendben van és
hogy beköltöztél új manchesteri házadba.

Én jól vagyok, az egyetemi tanulmányaim jól haladnak, bár a nyelvtanulás nehéz. Tavaly augusztusban a családommal Spanyolországban voltunk nyaralni, jól éreztük magunkat, sok szép helyet láttunk, úsztunk a tengerben, s nagyon örültünk, hogy Madridba is el tudtunk jutni, a város nagyszerű! Találkoztam ott egy gyönyörű spanyol lánnyal, a neve Maria, mostanáig tartjuk egymással a kapcsolatot emailben és telefonon, a jövő hónapban utazom Spanyolországba, hogy láthassam őt.

Nekem a hobbijaim még mindig ugyanazok, ma reggel fociztam, a csapatom 2-0-ra nyert. Még mindig tanulok nyelveket és bokszolok. Holnap moziba fogok menni megnézi a "Baby Fockers" című új filmet, szeretem az ilyen filmeket!

Hiányzik neked London? Remélem, barátom, hogy a közeljövőben meg fogsz tudni látogatni!

I had a problem in one place: "we loved going to Madrid" - plase explain what EXACTLY means this expression! So maybe here I will have to make a correction in the text! I understood it as "we loved that we had the possibility to go to Madrid", is this fully correct?

An other thing: why you say "I love these films"? Do you want to say "I love this kind of films", dont you? You know, my English is not prefect, this is why I am asking. I understood this sentence as "I love this kind of films", but I am not totally sure.

Edited by maxval on 16 January 2012 at 2:28pm

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4862 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 1023 of 1549
16 January 2012 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:

Kedves James
Feladom ezt a levelet, ahogy válasz a levelnek, amit a mult héten feladtál nekem. Örülök annak, hogy neked jól megy a munkádban és hogy már kényelmes vagy az új házodban Manchesterben.
A mult Augusztusban, én és a családom Spanyolországba szabadságra mentünk. Éreztük magunkat nagyon jól és láttunk sok szép helyet. Úsztunk a tengerben és Madrid nekünk nagyon tetszett, szerintünk nagyszerű város. Ott találkoztam egy csinos spanyol lányt, a neve Maria és tovább beszéltünk emaillel és a telefonnal, a jövű hónapban elmegyek hozzá spanyolországba.
Még az ugyanaz hobbaim vannak, ma délelőtt fociztam és nyert a csapatom 2-o. Tovébb tanulok nyelveket és tovább bokszom. Holnap a moziba megyek a filmre "Baby Fockers", ezeket a filmeket imádom!
Hiányzik neked London? Azt remélem, hogy nemsokára meglátogathatsz engem, barátom.

Now I will keep your style and your choice of words (unless they are not correct), and will correct only the errors!

Kedves James
Feladom ezt a levelet, hogy válaszoljak a levélre, amit a múlt héten feladtál nekem. Örülök annak, hogy neked minden jól megy a munkádban és hogy már kényelmesen beköltöztél az új házadba Manchesterben.
Jól vagyok, a tanulás az egyetemen jól megy, bár a nyelvtanulás nehéz.
A múlt augusztusban, én és a családom Spanyolországba szabadságra mentünk. Éreztük magunkat nagyon jól és láttunk sok szép helyet. Úsztunk a tengerben és Madrid nekünk nagyon tetszett, szerintünk nagyszerű város. Ott találkoztam egy csinos spanyol lánnyal, a neve Maria és azóta is beszélünk emailben és a telefonon, a jövő hónapban elmegyek hozzá Spanyolországba.
Még az ugyanazok a hobbijaim vannak, ma délelőtt fociztam és nyert a csapatom 2-o-ra. Továbbra is tanulok nyelveket és továbbra is bokszolok. Holnap a moziba megyek a "Baby Fockers" filmre, ezeket a filmeket imádom!

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4862 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 1024 of 1549
16 January 2012 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
Ive just translated the following letter on another thread here and just in case you (Maxval) don't notice it there, I'm posting it here too. I found translating to be a little more difficult than my stories because I had to try to follow the example and not make up my own way of saying something.

Dear James,

Kedves James

Notes:

- "jól megy a munkád", but it is not OK to say "jól megy a munkádban", in this case you need to add "minden",

- felad is OK, but a little strange to begin a letter with it, as felad means "put in the mail", and it may be only at the end of a letter, e. g. "most megyek és feladom ezt a levelet",

- capitalization is less frequent in Hungarian than in English, for example the names of the months are always with small first letter!

- "tovább beszéltünk" means we started to talk at one moment and didnt finish it - you wanted to say something different, so it will be "azóta is beszélünk", "továbbra is beszélünk",

- the verb for box is "bokszol" (did you know the box a sport has also a Hungarian name "ökölvívás" and a boxist is called "ökölvívó", however these words are not used in colloquial speech - e. g. the Hungarian Boxing Federation is called Magyar Ökölvívó Szövetség, see: http://www.boxing.hu/

This discussion contains 1549 messages over 194 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version