Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Hungarian - January challenge thread

Tags: Hungarian
 Language Learning Forum : Multilingual Lounge Post Reply
1549 messages over 194 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 ... 193 194 Next >>
maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4862 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, Bulgarian, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Latin, Modern Hebrew

Message 209 of 1549
08 March 2011 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:

7. What does 'gond' mean in the sentence 'az idő nem gond'. I guess it means 'time doesn't matter' and in that case what is the difference between 'gond' and 'baj'?

You have really good questions!

Yes, it means what you guessed.

The difference is hard to explain. Gond is closer to worry and problem, while baj is closer to trouble and harm. In many sentences you can use both! In other cases it is not possible.

Here is an example:
"Nagy gondban vagyok, nem tudom hogyan kell mondani angolul azt, hogy "baj". De nem baj, szerintem Hribecek így is megérti."

"Nagy bajban vagyok, nem tudom hogyan kell mondani angolul azt, hogy "baj". De nem gond, szerintem Hribecek így is megérti."

but:

"Tegnap nagy baj történt velem, elvesztettem a táskámat." - you cant say here gond

"Nagy gondom van: nem találom a táskámat." - you cant say here baj

You can also say "Az idő nem számít".
2 persons have voted this message useful

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4862 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 210 of 1549
08 March 2011 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
I've learned recently that 'ik' verbs in the first person singular are always conjugated in the definite form, but there are several cases where you didnát correct this mistake. Is this just because there were too many mistakes so you let that one go or am I misinformed?

This a complex question. I need to give you some background info so you can understand it better. Most native Hungarian speakers also tend to mix up this!

First and most important: the ikes conjugation has NOTHING to do with the definite conjugation!!! Most Hungarians also think that they are the same, but this is not true.

A separate ikes conjugation exists only in the INDEFINITE conjugation, there is no and never has been a special definite ikes conjugation.

So ikes verbs has also two conjugations: indefinite and definite. The definite conjugation of the ikes verbs is and was always the same as the definite conjugation of the IKTELEN verbs. (Iktelen means non-ikes.)

Historically there was a special ikes conjugation in Singular and Present Tense only, for the 1st and 3rd person in Imperative and Conditional, and for all 3 persons in Indicative. In all other cases ikes conjugation was the same as iktelen.

For examples I will use the ikes verb LAKIK and the iktelen verb OLVAS.

First, the form for 2nd person Indicative, as it is the easiest.
LAKOL - OLVASOSZ.
The two forms combined into a single form more than 300 years ago.
Now both iktelen and ikes verbs use the same ending. The rule is the following:
-     if a verb ends in -dz / -s / -sz / -z – than it takes the former ikes ending,
-     if a verb has diffent last phonema – than it takes the former iktelen ending.
This is why now the correct form is OLVASOL and LAKSZ.
So there is no ikes conjugation for 2nd person Indicative since 300 years. You can encounter such forms as LAKOL only in very old literature.

Conditional Mood:
1st person: LAKNÁM – OLVASNÉK
3rd person: LAKNÉK - OLVASNA
The ikes form for the 3rd person as very, very archaic, is not in use at all. When an average Hungarian speaker sees this form in an old book, he thinks it is mistake, as he doesn’t identify it as 3rd person form.
The 1st person form is a little bit less archaic, every Hungarian native speaker will recognize it, but you will never see it in present day speech or writing.
So you can simply forget about conditional mood ikes conjugation.

Imperative Mood:
1st person: LAKJAM – OLVASSAK
3rd person: LAKJÉK - OLVASSON
These forms are considered “very high style”, they are almost out of everydays use. You can see the form for the 1st person in the speech and writing of highly educated persons only when they wish to use a high style. The form for the 3rd person is even less used, it is considered as kind of solemn archaic style. You can see it also in a few idiomatic sentences, for example the verb “tetszik” is mostly used in the “tessék” form, but in present days you can hear with increasing frequency “tessen” too.
So you can forget about imperative mood ikes conjugation too.

Now the most important: present tense 1st and 3rd person.
1st person: LAKOM - OLVASOK
3rd person: LAKIK – OLVAS

The 3rd person present form is the only one, when it is absolutely obligatory to use the ikes forn. This is obvious, as if there is no –ik ending, then it is not any more an ikes ige!

Now about your question: the 1st person form. This form is dying out in the present days. Older people use more frequently the ikes form. Also more educated people use more frequently too the ikes form. But in present day young peoples speech there is almost no ikes form. But even more educated people wont use ikes conjugation for many ikes verbs, as these forms now sound “artificially”.

So this is not a linguistic question, this is a social question.
There are words that will be always used with ikes conjugation by highly educated people, for example LAKOM, ALSZOM, ESZEM, ISZOM, DOLGOZOM, etc. But many people will say LAKOK, ALSZOK, ESZEK, ISZOK, DOLGOZOK, etc.

I have no statistics data, but in my opinion 25 % of the Hungarian native speakers use the 1st person ikes form in some verbs, and 75 % don’t use it at all. These 25 % tend to think that the other 75 % are speaking “incorrectly”, but this is a myth.

So it is totally up to you. This is why I havent corrected these in your texts – I don’t consider using the iktelen conjugation an error, this is a normal form used by most native speakers too.

The most important thing is to remember that ikes conjugation IS NOT definite conjugation.

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4862 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 211 of 1549
08 March 2011 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
S3. You corrected one of my sentences as'Most tanítom vagyok, az angol nyelvet tanom', nem értem miért. I thought 'tanít' was a verb which would make the first part 'Now I teach I am', and if 'tanít' is a verb then when do I use 'tanom' and when 'tanítom'?

There are two diffent words: tanul and tanít. Tanul is learn, tanít is teach.

tanul:
tanulok / tanulom
tanulsz / tanulod
tanul / tanulja
tanulunk / tanuljuk
tanultok / tanuljátok
tanulnak / tanulják

tanít:
tanítok / tanítom
tanítsz / tanítod
tanít / tanítja
tanítunk / tanítjuk
taníttok OR tanítotok / tanítjátok
tanítanak / tanítják

1 person has voted this message useful

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4862 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 212 of 1549
08 March 2011 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:

Are there any rules for word order with verbs with prefixes? For example you corrected one sentence to be 'itt ébresztem fel', how do I know whether to prefix 'fel' or leave it seperate? I know you said this is very hard for foreigners to grasp but I'd like to try.

This is the hardest thing in Hungarian language!

There was a few years ago a poll among non-native foreign students at universities in Budapest with the question "What do you consider the hardest part in the Hungarian language?".

The answers were the following:
3rd place: the pronunciation,
2nd place: the correct use of the indefinite and the definite conjugation,
1st place with significantly overwhelming majority: the word order with verbal prefixes.

Problem is that there is no clear rule. The main rule is that it depends on the context and on the logical emphasis of the sentence.

There are three cases:
-     normal with the verb, preponed: elolvas (is the word “preponed” correct or it is my invention?)
-     postponed, after the verb: olvas el
-     separated: el (other word) olvas

Holnap elolvasom ezt a könyvet. – Tomorrow I will read this book - simple sentence.
Holnap olvasom el ezt a könyvet. Tomorrow I will read this book – exactly tomorrow, not today, or not the next week.

In negative sentences and in imperative sentences usually it is used in postponed version: “nem olvasom el”, “olvasd el”. But if there a diffent logical emphasis, it can be different. Example: “a könyvet nem elolvasom, hanem megtanulom” (I wont read the book, I will learn it”. Or “elolvasd” will be used if it is a very direct, aggressive command.

If there is a modal type word, usually the separated form is used:
A könyvet el kell olvasnod.

So my advive is to use in negative sentences the postponed version, this will be correct in 95 % of cases. In imperative setences use also this form, it will be correct. Nem olvasom el, olvasd el.

If you use a modal type verb, as kell, tud, lehet, etc, then always use the separated form. El kell olvasnom, el lehet olvasni, el tudom olvasni.

In normal positive indicative sentences it is the most difficult. Try to use the “normal”, preponed version, this will be correct in 50 % of the cases

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4862 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 213 of 1549
08 March 2011 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:
hribecek wrote:

Are there any rules for word order with verbs with prefixes? For example you corrected one sentence to be 'itt ébresztem fel', how do I know whether to prefix 'fel' or leave it seperate? I know you said this is very hard for foreigners to grasp but I'd like to try.

This is the hardest thing in Hungarian language!

There was a few years ago a poll among non-native foreign students at universities in Budapest with the question "What do you consider the hardest part in the Hungarian language?".

The answers were the following:
3rd place: the pronunciation,
2nd place: the correct use of the indefinite and the definite conjugation,
1st place with significantly overwhelming majority: the word order with verbal prefixes.

Problem is that there is no clear rule. The main rule is that it depends on the context and on the logical emphasis of the sentence.

There are three cases:
-     normal with the verb, preponed: elolvas (is the word “preponed” correct or it is my invention?)

Holnap elolvasom ezt a könyvet. – Tomorrow I will read this book - simple sentence.
Holnap olvasom el ezt a könyvet. Tomorrow I will read this book – exactly tomorrow, not today, or not the next week.

In negative sentences and in imperative sentences usually it is used in postponed version: “nem olvasom el”, “olvasd el”. But if there a diffent logical emphasis, it can be different. Example: “a könyvet nem elolvasom, hanem megtanulom” (I wont read the book, I will learn it”. Or “elolvasd” will be used if it is a very direct, aggressive command.

If there is a modal type word, usually the separated form is used:
A könyvet el kell olvasnod.

So my advive is to use in negative sentences the postponed version, this will be correct in 95 % of cases. In imperative setences use also this form, it will be correct. Nem olvasom el, olvasd el.

If you use a modal type verb, as kell, tud, lehet, etc, then always use the separated form. El kell olvasnom, el lehet olvasni, el tudom olvasni.

In normal positive indicative sentences it is the most difficult. Try to use the “normal”, preponed version, this will be correct in 50 % of the cases

Something interesting. A few years ago I worked for the Finnish company Nokia. Nokia has the policy to transfer most of its departments outside of Finland – the reason is obvious, Finland is among the first places in Europe in salary/wage level, for example Finnish wages are 20-30 % higher than British wages and are 3 times higher than in the Czech Republic. (I think in Europe only Norway, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein and Monaco have higher salaries than Finland.)

So, the Customer Support Department and the Complains Department for Eastern and Central Europe is in Bulgaria. I worked there, first in CS, then in the Complains Department. There were 20 language groups for every major language of importance for Nokia (German, Czech, Slovak, Polish, Hungarian, Ukraian, etc, now I wont give the full list). In the Hungarian group there were half of the people native speakers and the other half Bulgarian native speakers who know Hungarian. The level among them was very high, everybody was at a C2 level, there was even people with Hungarian literary awards! Some of them had a little accent, but this is normal, they had no grammatical errors – accent is a problem when speaking by the phone, but in replying to emails its obviously not a problem (we had both phone and email support).

The only mistake these colleagues sometimes made was the word order with verbal prefixes! In cases when the logical emphasis was not in the usual place, they committed mistakes. So this is normal. The only way to learn this is to read Hungarian texts and practice. I personally know foreigners who never commit mistakes. My father had such an Austrian friend. Hungarians even didn’t suspect that he wasn’t with Hungarian native language. Once, a Hungarian heard him speaking German and said “wow, you speak German very good, how did you learn German so perfectly”. When he told German was his native language, the Hungarian man didn’t want to believe it.

Something different, I have to mention it. I am sorry to say that, but a big part, maybe half of the Hungarians are kind of xenophobic and racist people. There were attacks from clients against colleagues speaking C2 level with a little accent of the kind of “So Nokia has no enough money to hire NORMAL people? Are you a f**king Thailandese whore? Go back to Thailand or China or Russia or wherever you came from and learn Hungarian!”.

But don’t worry about this, the other half of the Hungarians are normal people!

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 214 of 1549
08 March 2011 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:
hribecek wrote:
S3. You corrected one of my sentences as'Most tanítom vagyok, az angol nyelvet tanom', nem értem miért. I thought 'tanít' was a verb which would make the first part 'Now I teach I am', and if 'tanít' is a verb then when do I use 'tanom' and when 'tanítom'?

There are two diffent words: tanul and tanít. Tanul is learn, tanít is teach.

It's quite possible that I'm being stupid here but I still don't get this. My English sentence was 'Now I'm a teacher, I teach English', so I don't understand why the translation is 'most tanítom vagyok, az angol nyelvet tanom'?

What is 'tanom' from? And why wouldn't it be 'most tanár vagyok, az angol nyelvet tanítom'??

I know that 'tanul' is learn.

Edited by hribecek on 08 March 2011 at 12:41pm

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 215 of 1549
08 March 2011 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:

There are three cases:

To be honest I'm not sure exactly what the correct linguistic term for this is but I'm pretty sure it's not preponed and postponed. I would say prefixed for the first but I don't know about the second because it's not a suffix obviously. I'd say simply that the verbal particle (is this even the right term for them!?) comes after the verb. I haven't studied any languages with this ability to separate the particle from the verb so I'm not sure of the correct term.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 216 of 1549
08 March 2011 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
Thanks as usual for such a thorough answer. You're such a fantastic resource for me!

This discussion contains 1549 messages over 194 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version