Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5137 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 17 of 1549
14 January 2011 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Here is my first official task within the Hungarian January challenge. I decided to write a story and in my experience I remember the new vocabulary better when I write slightly weird and therefore memorable stories. This falls into that category!

JANUARY CHALLENGE WRITTEN TEXT 1

Furcsa történet – A macska Bob

Egy nagy Kutya, a neve Max, lákik magyarországban tó mellett. Nagyon tetszik enni a macskakt, mert rossz vannak és Maxnek ízliknek. Amikor őket látja, akar futni és megfogni őket.

Egy furcsa Macska, a neve Bob, utál is a macskakt és akar lenni kutya. Bob a macska mindig megy Maxhoz, mert ker lenni barátja, de Max csak ker enni Bobot!

Egy nap, Bob más macskaval beszel és mondi neki hogy jön ővel (with him?) és mennek tóhoz. Ez utána Bob Maxnek mondi hogy itt ebédja van! Max ebédját (macskat) láti és fut.

„Jó napot kívánok!” Max mondi és útána öt esziki.
„mmm, nagyon finom, macska ízlik. Köszönöm a ebédet, Bob, most nem kerek negéd enni. Segítheted engem, adheted nekem macskakt és leszek barátod, mit szerinted?”
„Azt hiszem, hogy nagyon jó, mert utálom macskakt, de lakni tevel (with you) kérek, mit mondsz?”
„Miért kérsz énvel lakni?”
„Mert itt sok veszélyes állat vannak, te kell.”
„Rendben, gyere. Lákhotsz fám alatt.”
„Igen, örülök.

Bob Maxval közösen hosszan lákik, pedig minden napok ekik étet adja – macskakt. De Bob már nem akar lakni Maxval, mert Max unalmas és tón Bob szeret legjobban és legveszélyebben állat lenni.

Bob mond minden macskakt hogy Max minden családjuk eszik. Most macskakt nagyon mérges vannak és akarnak megölni Maxt. Bobja ötlet van, azt mond Maxnek hogy ebéd (macska) fa mellett van és Max megy fahoz, mert éhes van. Max egy macskat lát és macskahoz megy, de most fábol sok macska ugrnek és megölnök Max.

Bob áll tó mellett és nagy állatok tóban lát. Földön már kiraly van és most akar cápa lenni!    

If anybody is still following this thread then please correct me. Corrections are very important to me and will be very much appreciated. Also, I'm in great need of spoken practise now, so if anybody has skype and would like to practise their Hungarian or do a language exchange then please let me know.   

Edited by hribecek on 14 January 2011 at 5:27pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6944 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 18 of 1549
14 January 2011 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
As you know I'm not a native speaker (nor do I consider myself to be fluent) but I'll pitch in as best as possible. I'm just hoping that someone even better-qualified jumps in to tidy things up more.

hribecek wrote:
Here is my first official task within the Hungarian January challenge. I decided to write a story and in my experience I remember the new vocabulary better when I write slightly weird and therefore memorable stories. This falls into that category!

JANUARY CHALLENGE WRITTEN TEXT 1

Chung’s corrections wrote:
Furcsa történet – A macska Bob

Egy nagy kutya, a neve Max, lakik Magyarországon egy tó mellett. Nagyon szereti enni a macskákat, mert rosszak vannak és Maxnak ízlenek. Amikor őket látja, akar futni és megfogni őket.

Egy furcsa macska, a neve Bob, utálja is a macskákat és kutya akar lenni. Bob mindig megy Maxhoz, mert akar lenni Max barátja, de Max csak akarja enni Bobot!

Egy napon, Bob egy másik macskával beszél és azt mondja, hogy jön vele és majd mennek a tóhoz. Eztán Bob Maxnak mondja, hogy itt van a Maxnak ebédje! Max az ebédjét (azaz a másik macskát) látja és szalad.

„Jó napot kívánok!” mondja Max és akkor a másik macskát eszi.
„Mmm, nagyon finom, a macska ízlik. Köszönöm az ebédet, Bob. Most nem akarlak tegéd enni. Segítettél nekem, adott nekem macskát és tehát leszek barátod. Mit gondolsz erről?”

„Azt hiszem, hogy nagyon jó, mert én is utálom a macskákat, de akarok lakni veled. Mit mondsz?”

„Miért akarsz lakni velem?”
„Mert itt sok veszélyes állat van. Kellesz nekem/Szükségen van rád.”
„Rendben, gyere. Lákhatsz a fám alatt.”
„Igen, annak örülök.

Bob Maxval közösen hosszan lákik (Ed. this sentence is unintelligible to me), de mindennap ekik étet (Ed. this part is unintelligible to me) adja – macskákat. De Bob már nem akar lakni Maxxal, mert Max unalmas és a tónál Bob szeret a legjobb és a legveszélyebb állat lenni.

Bob mondja minden macskának, hogy Max minden családjuk eszik. A macskák most nagyon mérgesek vannak és akarnak megölni Maxot. Bobnak ötlet van: azt mondja Maxnak, hogy ebéd (macska) egy fa mellett van és így megy Max a fához, mert éhes. Max lát egy macskát és hozzá megy, de most a fáról sok macska leugrik és megöli Maxot.

Bob áll a tó mellett és nagy állatokat a tóban lát. A földön már király van és most akar cápa lenni!

hribicek wrote:
If anybody is still following this thread then please correct me. Corrections are very important to me and will be very much appreciated. Also, I'm in great need of spoken practise now, so if anybody has skype and would like to practise their Hungarian or do a language exchange then please let me know.   

As you can see, there's quite a lot that's been bolded. I stress that what I've corrected lies primarily with endings, with only a few instances where I've changed the word order or added words because I *think* their inclusion makes things "sound better" (Hungarian syntax is quite tricky to master and I'm the first to admit that I am far from expert in its use). In addition, I tried my best to keep the corrections for verbs in present tense (although my use of "segítettél" and "adott" show use of the past tense) even if the story itself is weird (as you describe it) and it could help a bit if we used different tenses as appropriate.

Although it'll take time for you to gain a sturdier base in Hungarian, I noticed certain recurrent errors. Here are the items that I believe that you should take out of this lesson.

---

1) the noun for "cat" is "macska". The nominative plural is macskák, accusative singular is macksát and the accusative plural is macskákat. I have no idea where "macskakt" is coming from.

---

2) when translating English personal pronouns with prepositions into Hungarian, you do not usually mechanically add the Hungarian case suffix to the pronoun. Instead you often take a stem that is related to the case suffix and to that add effectively a possessive suffix. Here are the patterns for cases that I noticed in your text.

"with" (suffix is -val/-vel)
velem (with me)
veled (with you - singular informal)
önnel (with you - singular formal)
vele (with him/her/it)
velünk (with us)
veletek (with you - plural informal)
önökkel (with you - plural formal)
velük (with them)

"to/for" (suffix is -nak/-nek: roughly corresponds to dative)
nekem (to me)
neked (to you - sing. informal)
önnek (to you - sing. formal)
neki (to him/her/it)
nekünk (to us)
nektek (to you - plur. informal)
önöknek (to you - plur. formal)
nekik (to them)

- (suffix is -t: accusative)
engem (me)
téged (you - sing. informal)
önt (you - sing. formal)
őt (him/her/it)
minket / bennünket (us)
titeket / benneteket (you - plur. informal)
önöket (you - plur. formal)
őket (them)

---

3) The most common word for "want" is "akarni". "Kérni" can be translated as "want" but it has more of a sense of "requesting", "asking for" or even "begging". For example, you're more likely to see in Hungarian:

- "Mit kérsz?" (What are you requesting? ~ What do you want?)
- "Egy kolát kérek, köszönöm" (I request a coke, thank you ~ A coke please, thank you)

Hearing "mit akarsz? here and thus responding with "Egy kolát akarok, köszönom" would be strange to native ears, but understandable.

- "Mit akarsz csinálni?" (What do you want to do?)
- "Semmit nem akarok csinálni." (I don't want to do anything)

---

4) A final -a, or -e usually lengthens when followed by a case suffix.

kutya = dog; kutyák = dogs; kutyának = to a dog
ebédje = his/her lunch; ebédjét = his/her lunch (accusative); ebédjében = in his/her lunch

---

5) The -v- in the suffix "-val/-vel" ("with") turns into the consonant preceding it OR the entire suffix causes the preceding vowel to lengthen. I point this out because I remember seeing "Maxval" instead of "Maxxal". Here are some examples of what I mean:

Monika; Monikával (with Monika)
Eszter; Eszterrel (not *"Esztervel") (with Eszter)

---

6) Don't forget vowel harmony. I noticed some instances of "Maxnek" rather than "Maxnak" or "mondi" rather than "mondja". Where applicable, the suffix's vowel quality corresponds to that of the main word.

---

7) For verbs, assimilate the difference between indefinite and definite conjugation while also accounting for vowel harmony.

- a) "mondani" (a "classic" verb with back vowels and so relying on suffixes with back-vowels.)

- indefinite conjugation, present tense
(én) mondok; (te) mondsz; (ön),(ő) mond; (mi) mondunk; (ti) mond(o)tok; (önök),(ők) mondnak

- definite conjugation, present tense
(én) mondom; (te) mondod; (ön),(ő) mondja; (mi) mondjuk; (ti) mondjátok; (önök),(ők) mondják

- b) "kérni" (a "classic" verb with front vowels and so relying on suffixes with front-vowels.)

- indefinite conjugation, present tense
(én) kérek; (te) kérsz; (ön),(ő) kér; (mi) kérünk; (ti) kértek; (önök),(ők) kérnek

- definite conjugation, present tense
(én) kérem; (te) kéred; (ön),(ő) kéri; (mi) kerjük; (ti) kéritek; (önök),(ők) kérik

---

8) When you use the verb "mondani" to express the idea "says that...", you use the definite conjugation. The idea in Hungarian is that you're really stating "I/you/he/she, etc. says it, that..." with the "it" being the definite direct object forcing you to use the definite conjugation. A related rule is that if you use the conjunction "hogy" as a subordinate conjunction (kind of like the Czech relative pronoun, "že", as in "řekl jsem, že..." or "myslím, že..."), then the verb in the antecedant is in definite conjugation.

- Azt mondják, hogy sokan akarnak tanulni magyarul. ("They say (it/that) that many want to learn Hungarian." ~ "It is said that many want to learn Hungarian.")
- Azt gondoltam, hogy otthon voltál!" ("I thought (it/that) that you were at home!")

---

9) Because these are common "-ik" verbs, I would memorize or assimilate these now.

enni (to eat)
- indefinite, present
eszek, eszel, eszik, eszünk, esztek, esznek

- definite, present
eszem, eszed, eszi, esszük, eszitek, eszik

inni (to drink)
- indefinite, present
iszok, iszol, iszik, iszunk, isztok, isznak

- definite, present
iszom, iszod, issza, isszuk, isszátok, isszák

ízelni (to be tasty - "defective" verb in indefinite only)
ízlik (it tastes (good) ~ it is tasty); ízelnek (they taste (good) ~ they are tasty)

---

10) See this blog entry for concepts behind translating the verb "to like" (I noted that you used "szeretni" where it'd be better to use "akarni"). It also touches on "ízlik".

In fact the entire blog is full of good information on grammar and everyday idioms. Bookmark it if you haven't done so already.
2 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5137 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 19 of 1549
15 January 2011 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
Wow, thanks so much for those corrections Chung, they're so helpful! I've got so much to learn.

For a couple of them I should have known better, but a lot of very helpful tips. The pronoun 'vel/val' forms I hadn't studied yet and couldn't find them in my books before I began the text so thank you for conjugating them and everything else for me.

I forgot to write in the last post that I haven't studied the past tense yet and so I can only write in the present. I've skimmed over it briefly and only know that you have to throw a T in there somewhere.

MACSKAKT came from my own hopeful logic of macska plus plural k and accusative t.

I tried to write it without using a dictionary or grammar reference because I wanted to really work my Hungarian brain.

Bob Maxval közösen hosszan lákik (Ed. this sentence is unintelligible to me), de mindennap ekik étet (Ed. this part is unintelligible to me) adja –
UNQUOTE

Here I wanted to say 'Bob with Max a long time together lives and every day him food gives (literal translation)' I realise I made a mistake in the second clause, it maybe should be 'és egyész nap neki étet adja.'

Thanks again for all the corrections, next time I'll probably stick to something normal and a bit easier to see how I do. Thanks also for the blog tip, I'll check it out and add it to my bookmarks.

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5197 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 20 of 1549
16 January 2011 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
I really am shortcut in my time (does that make sens in English ?) and posted a story I made up last year when I was in Pécs (so : tavaly) and hope that a good soul corrects me :). Of course, my conversation level wasn't that high, but I was very proud of the progresses I had made :) That will happen to you, Hribecek, when you will travel to Hungary. You will understand a lot of word !

So, my story :

Ebben az évben Pécs európa kulturalis fővárosa. Juliusban Pecsben nyáraltam - harom nap. Tavaly voltam Budapesten. Sajnos csak egy kicsit beszélek magyarul.
Erdémes Pecsre jönni ! Ezen a héten a városban áltálában sok seláltunk. Szent Peter és Pál Bazilikaról Szechenyiterre, Főpostaról (Reformatus templom) Városházara, minden érdekes és szép. A shopping is nagyon erdekel engem, mert a ruhákat tetszik nekem: kek, piros, drapp, csikos, pottytos stb ! Nem mint otthon !

A kedden este utázom Budapestre vonattal egy barátomhoz. A főpalyaudvara gyalog.
- Jó napot kívanok.
- Jó napot kívanok. Kérek egy jegyet Budapestre.
- Csak oda ?
- Nem, elnézest ! Oda-vissza ! Kérek egy returjegyet Budapestre.
- Normalis vagy diakjegyet ?
- Diak, légyen szíves... Köszönöm.... Viszontlátásra !

A 10:20-as vonattal utázom és mindjárt 10 óra !
- Hova sietsz ? Maradj egy kicsit ! mondja az anyukam.
- Nem lehet, nem akarok későm a vonatomat.
- De majd sms-ezol ? Vigyázz magadra ! Oké ?
- Nem baj ! Csá!
- Jó utát ! Puszi
    ***     &nb sp; ***         &nb sp;  ***     &nb sp; ***        ***
"Figyelem ! Figyelem ! Az elso vágány mellet kerjük vigyázni ! Vonat indul az első vágányra."

***     ***       ***   &nb sp; &nb sp;       ***      &nb sp; ***         &nb sp;    ***

Megerkézek. A barátom már varja rám.
- Örülök, hogy lattak tegedet ! Van kedved valamit inni ?
- Iszok egy kisfröccsöt, légy szíves.
- Jó. Gyerünk.
***         &nb sp;  ***     &nb sp;      ***      &nb sp;     ***         &nb sp;  ***     &nb sp; ***

Vissza Pécsben néztek a fontos focimeccset: Spanyolorszag # Hollandiarorszag. De sajnos álszom. Kemény a napom volt !

Viszlát, Kisfröccs

Kisfröccs

There's your answer to what means "Kisfröccs" ;)And a "kisfröccs" isn't the same as a "Spritzer" in Germany or Austria : the taste is completely different.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5137 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 21 of 1549
17 January 2011 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Szia Kisfröccs!
I'll make sure I order a kisfröccs in Hungary.

Értem a történeted, de néhány szót nem értem. Kérdezheteklek (3 suffixes in that word! Is it correct?), mi felent mindjárt?

Nem értem is 'Kemény a napom volt'?

Azt hiszem, látom a hibakadat, talán. (csak hibak, mert alomos vagy vagy sietsz (Can the words for 'you are' and 'or' be next to each other when they're the same?).

Mellesleg, magyar zene hallgatok és májd nézem a filmet - 'The gods must be crazy' magyar nyelvel.

In Hungarian, how do you say 'How do you say?' and how do you say 'crazy'. My small dictionary doesn't have it.

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5197 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 22 of 1549
17 January 2011 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
Köszi az olvasásodot és a javításodot !

Hi hi, vidám vagy !

az álom : the sleep
az alom : the litter (Ne legyen gondod ! Akartok a barátom "szép álmokát" kíváni és mondtam "szép almokát". Sokat nevettet :) )

"kemény a napom volt" = My day was "harsh". Do not mix up "kemény" with "kémény". My old teacher laughed a lot:)

BTW : http://szotar.sztaki.hu/angol-magyar

Checkbox : 1) Kis-/nagybetű nem számít :yes !(do not take in account maj /min letter)
Checkbox 2) Ékezet nem számít :yes ! (do not take in account the accents)

Szia ;)... farádt vagyok, azért most megyek

Kisfröccs

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4861 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, Bulgarian, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Latin, Modern Hebrew

Message 23 of 1549
17 January 2011 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
Corrected version: style not changed, only grammatical and syntax errors were corrected.

Furcsa történet – Bob, a macska

Egy nagy kutya, a neve Max, Magyarországon lakik, egy tó mellett.
Nagyon szereti enni a macskákat, mert rosszak és Maxnak ízlenek. Amikor őket látja, futni akar és meg akarja fogni őket.

Egy furcsa macska, a neve Bob, is utálja a macskákat és kutya akar lenni. Bob mindig megy Maxhoz, mert Max barátja akar lenni, de Max csak meg akarja enni Bobot!

Egy napon, Bob egy másik macskával beszél és azt mondja, hogy jöjjön vele és majd elmennek a tóhoz. Ezután Bob Maxnak azt mondja, hogy itt van a Maxnak az ebédje! Max az ebédjét (azaz a másik macskát) látja és szalad.

„Jó napot kívánok!” mondja Max és akkor a másik macskát megeszi.
„Mmm, nagyon finom, a macska ízlik. Köszönöm az ebédet, Bob. Most nem akarlak téged megenni. Segítettél nekem, adtál nekem macskát, tehát leszek a barátod. Mit gondolsz erről?”

„Azt hiszem, hogy nagyon jó, mert én is utálom a macskákat, de veled akarok lakni. Mit mondsz?”

„Miért akarsz lakni velem?”
„Mert itt sok veszélyes állat van. Kellesz nekem.”
„Rendben, gyere. Lakhatsz a fám alatt.”
„Igen, ennek örülök.

(uniintelligible) De Bob már nem akar Maxszal lakni, mert Max unalmas és a tónál Bob szeretne a legjobb és a legveszélyebb állat lenni.

Bob azt mondja minden macskának, hogy Max egész családjukat meg eszi. A macskák most nagyon mérgesek és meg akarják ölni Maxot. Bobnak egy ötlete van: azt mondja Maxnak, hogy az ebéd (macska) egy fa mellett van és így Max megy a fához, mert éhes. Max lát egy macskát és oda megy hozzá, de most a fáról sok macska leugrik és megöli Maxot.

Bob áll a tó mellett és a tóban nagy állatokat lát. A szárazföldön már ő a király és most cápa akar lenni!

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4861 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, Bulgarian, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Latin, Modern Hebrew

Message 24 of 1549
18 January 2011 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:

Here I wanted to say 'Bob with Max a long time together lives and every day him food gives (literal translation)' I realise I made a mistake in the second clause, it maybe should be 'és egyész nap neki étet adja.'

Bob hosszú ideje Maxszal együtt lakik, s minden nap ad neki ételt.

Edited by maxval on 18 January 2011 at 2:08pm

This discussion contains 1549 messages over 194 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version