Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Hungarian - January challenge thread

Tags: Hungarian
 Language Learning Forum : Multilingual Lounge Post Reply
1549 messages over 194 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 145 ... 193 194 Next >>
hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 1153 of 1549
09 March 2012 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
So yes, you do have quite a strong accent! It sounds like a cross between a Czech and a Russian accent. I dont think Ive really heard a true Hungarian accent before. Its no worse than most Czech accents though and better than the typical French, Arabic, Chinese etc. accent.

First I'll give you credit for trying and managing to some extent to follow a similar pitch to the one used by the real King George VI in the original speech.

You say you already know your mistakes, but I'll tell you the basic ones that stood out to me anyway. Some of them are not too difficult to solve.

Your biggest problems are H or WH, R, K or C when it has a K sound, TH, V and the 'ay' sound as in 'play' or 'prevail' in the text.

H, WH and K (C) you pronounce from the back of your throat, so you need to keep your tongue away from the back of your throat for both and a lot lower too for H and WH.

Your R is too Slavic/Hungarian. You need to stop your tongue coming up so far. The English tongue barely flicks up to the upper teeth during an R. You should practise saying 'The red rat ran around the round roundabout rather rapidly' without moving your tongue at all during the r's!

You sometimes pronounce TH correctly but generally you pronounce it too much like T. Glue your tongue to the bottom of your upper teeth and force the sound between them.

You turn your V's into W's sometimes, like in 'vain' for example. Czechs do this too.

The 'ay' sound from 'prevail' which should be like in 'play' is not the same as the Hungarian '' sound as you pronounce it, it is more like maybe how 'ej' would sound.

Some basic words which you pronounced incorrectly were - mere, dear, own, now, hour, called, civilised.

Mere should be pronounced something like 'mir'.

Dear should be pronounced something like 'dir'.

Own should be pronounced something like 'bone' or 'clone', obviously without the first consonants.

Hour should be pronounced as two syllables or 1 1/2 syllables like 'ow.wa' would be pronounced in English.

The A in CALLED should be pronounced like the Hungarian 'O'.

civilised (...lised is only one syllable, as I expect you know)
Other words that you pronounced wrong were independence, stripped, pursuit, settled and resolutely. For example ST in English is pronounced more like it would be in Hungarian with a SH sound.

Id say you need to do more listening and maybe parroting in English because for some of the words it sounded like maybe you havent heard them before, maybe only read them.

I think you could improve a few of the things without a big problem.
2 persons have voted this message useful

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4862 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, Bulgarian, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Latin, Modern Hebrew

Message 1154 of 1549
10 March 2012 at 8:22am | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
So yes, you do have quite a strong accent! It sounds like a cross between a Czech and a Russian accent. I don�t think I�ve really heard a true Hungarian accent before. It�s no worse than most Czech accents though and better than the typical French, Arabic, Chinese etc. accent.

First I'll give you credit for trying and managing to some extent to follow a similar pitch to the one used by the real King George VI in the original speech.

You say you already know your mistakes, but I'll tell you the basic ones that stood out to me anyway. Some of them are not too difficult to solve.

Your biggest problems are H or WH, R, K or C when it has a K sound, TH, V and the 'ay' sound as in 'play' or 'prevail' in the text.

H, WH and K (C) you pronounce from the back of your throat, so you need to keep your tongue away from the back of your throat for both and a lot lower too for H and WH.

Your R is too Slavic/Hungarian. You need to stop your tongue coming up so far. The English tongue barely flicks up to the upper teeth during an R. You should practise saying 'The red rat ran around the round roundabout rather rapidly' without moving your tongue at all during the r's!

You sometimes pronounce TH correctly but generally you pronounce it too much like T. Glue your tongue to the bottom of your upper teeth and force the sound between them.

You turn your V's into W's sometimes, like in 'vain' for example. Czechs do this too.

The 'ay' sound from 'prevail' which should be like in 'play' is not the same as the Hungarian '�' sound as you pronounce it, it is more like maybe how 'ej' would sound.

Some basic words which you pronounced incorrectly were - mere, dear, own, now, hour, called, civilised.

Own should be pronounced something like 'bone' or 'clone', obviously without the first consonants.

Hour should be pronounced as two syllables or 1 1/2 syllables like 'ow.wa' would be pronounced in English.

Other words that you pronounced wrong were independence, stripped, pursuit, settled and resolutely. For example �ST� in English is pronounced more like it would be in Hungarian with a �SH� sound.

I�d say you need to do more listening and maybe parroting in English because for some of the words it sounded like maybe you haven�t heard them before, maybe only read them.

Thanks. When saying only words, I have a better pronunciation, but when speaking normally or reading a longer text, this is my usual pronunciation. I did the recording with no previous preparation, I simply listened to the original speech one time (the original one by George VI, not the film version).

Basically this is the usual Hungarian accent in English. However Hungarian native speakers who are beginners in English tend to make other mistakes too:
- they always pronounce "th" as "t" or "d",
- they put the stress on the 1st syllable,
- they always pronounce "w" as "v",
- they always pronounce "r" as Hungarian "r",
- they never pronounce diphtongs, they pronounce instead long vowels or two syllables.

You say something interesting: "You turn your V's into W's sometimes, like in 'vain' for example. Czechs do this too." - yes, this is very interesting. I see the same with many people. For Hungarian native speakers "w" is a very difficult sound, beginners say "v". But when they learn the correct pronunciation of "w", they rend to pronounce "w" even in situations when the correct sound is "v". I dont know the explanation of this!

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4862 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 1155 of 1549
10 March 2012 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
So yes, you do have quite a strong accent! It sounds like a cross between a Czech and a Russian accent. I don�t think I�ve really heard a true Hungarian accent before. It�s no worse than most Czech accents though and better than the typical French, Arabic, Chinese etc. accent.

The 'ay' sound from 'prevail' which should be like in 'play' is not the same as the Hungarian '�' sound as you pronounce it, it is more like maybe how 'ej' would sound.

Other words that you pronounced wrong were independence, stripped, pursuit, settled and resolutely. For example �ST� in English is pronounced more like it would be in Hungarian with a �SH� sound.

I�d say you need to do more listening and maybe parroting in English because for some of the words it sounded like maybe you haven�t heard them before, maybe only read them.

Something else.

Hungarian accent is very, very strong. In 99 % of the cases, Hungarian native language of a speaker can be detected easily. My favorite example is George Soros (Soros György), who has been living in the UK and the USA since 1947. He speaks very well English, however after the 3rd sentence said by him it is clear that his native language is Hungarian. Example and for comparation he speaking in Hungarian.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 1156 of 1549
11 March 2012 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
A HUSZONÖTÖDIK FEJEZET – A HÁROM PÚPOS SZIGET

A napok elmúltek és tovább az utazók kaptak sok ételt az emberektől. Állandóan nagyon tele éreztek az utazók, a gyomruk mindig fájt és tovább akartak hányni, de nem tudtak. Most már biztosok voltak benne, hogy az emberek adnak ennyi ételt, mert végül tervezik enni az utazókat.

Sam még nem tudott állni, mert az emberek gyakran rúgtak bele a lábába. Az utazók gyomruk egyre nagyobb lettek és a kezük tovább a fejük felett lógtak a kötelekben. Az emberek azt hitték, hogy nincs lehetőség, hogyan menekülnének az utazók, de egy dolgot nem vettek észre. Az utazók kezüknek nehezség tovább húzta a köteleken és emiatt a kezük egyre lazább lett. Az utazók rájöttek, hogy ez történik, bár már nem érezték a kezüket. Azt hitték, hogy a vérük már nem érnek a kezükbe és nem tudták mozgatni az ujjukat. Sam tovább le próbalt húzni a kezét a kötelből, Stefan is.

Egy napon két ember a helyiségben volt és adott ételt az utazóknak, amikor Sam azt érezte, hogy végre a kéze esik le a kötelből. Ez volt természetesen jó újság, de azt jelentette is, hogy az emberek Sam esést fogják látni.

Sam tudta, hogy ez a nagy lehetősége és az emberek nem láthatják. Így Sam be kezdett lökni a földbe a gyenge és sérült lábával, hogy még nem kiessen a kötelből a földre. Ez volt nagyon nehéz Samnak, mert majdnem nem tudta használni a lábát, de sikerült, mert pár perc után az emberek kimentek a helyiségből és bezárták az ajtót. Sam keze végre kiesett a kötelből és Sam leesett a földre.

Stefan természetesen ezt látta és végre újra remélte, hogy minden jó lesz. Valójában nagyon szomorú volt, mert hitte, hogy az apja halott, de most csak akart menekülni, hogy megkeresse a rendőrséget, mert nagyon kívánta, hogy megbüntetsék ezeket a gonosz embereket. Most a legfontosabb volt az, hogy menekülnek.

Lassan Samnak fel sikerült ülnie, de a lába túl serült volt, hogy felálljon. A helyiség sarkában volt egy szék, ezért Sam lassan mászott a helyiség sarkjához és át kezdte lökni a széket a padlón Stefan irányába. Elért Stefanhoz és tette a széket pontosan Stefan elé. Akkor lassan felmászott a székre és sikerült ülnie a széken.
„Most kell használnom a testedet, hogy felmásszak a kötelhez a kezed körül. Ez fog fájni neked, de más mód nincs.” Mondta Sam Stefannak.

„Értem, kész vagyok. Egy kicsit majd tudok segíteni. Majd fellökök a lábaman, hogy magasan leszél.” Válaszolta Stefan.

„Rendben. Most elkezdek.” Mondta Sam és akkor elért a gyenge kezzel Stefan vállára.   

1 person has voted this message useful

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4862 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 1157 of 1549
11 March 2012 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 

hribecek wrote:

A napok elmúltek és tovább az utazók kaptak sok ételt az emberektől. Állandóan nagyon
tele éreztek az utazók, a gyomruk mindig fájt és tovább akartak hányni, de nem tudtak.
Most már biztosok voltak benne, hogy az emberek adnak ennyi ételt, mert végül tervezik
enni az utazókat.

A napok múltak és az utazók továbbra is kaptak sok ételt az emberektől.
Állandóan nagyon tele éreztek magukat az utazók, a gyomruk mindig fájt és tovább
akartak hányni, de nem tudtak. Most már biztosak voltak benne, hogy az emberek
azért adnak ennyi ételt, mert végül tervezik megenni őket .

biztos - biztosok/biztosak - This is a typical case with two plurals, with "o" -
biztosok - it is a noun, and with "a" - biztosak - it is an adjective.

In the last sentence we have almost the same case which we discussed the last time.
First there is a subject "ők" (unmarked, but its there) and this "ők" is the same as
"utazók", so later you cannot use "utazók" as object, as this make the text unclear, it
may mean that there are some other "utazók" there!

hribecek wrote:

Sam még nem tudott állni, mert az emberek gyakran rúgtak bele a lábába. Az utazók
gyomruk egyre nagyobb lettek és a kezük tovább a fejük felett lógtak a kötelekben. Az
emberek azt hitték, hogy nincs lehetőség, hogyan menekülnének az utazók, de egy dolgot
nem vettek észre. Az utazók kezüknek nehezség tovább húzta a köteleken és emiatt a
kezük egyre lazább lett. Az utazók rájöttek, hogy ez történik, bár már nem érezték a
kezüket. Azt hitték, hogy a vérük már nem érnek a kezükbe és nem tudták mozgatni az
ujjukat. Sam tovább le próbalt húzni a kezét a kötelből, Stefan is.

Sam még nem tudott állni, mert az emberek gyakran rúgtak bele a lábába. Az utazók
gyomra egyre nagyobb lett és a kezük tovább a fejük felett lógtak a
kötelekben. Az emberek azt hitték, hogy nincs lehetőség, hogy
elmenekülhetnének az utazók, de egy dolgot nem vettek észre. ?(Az
utazók kezüknek nehezség tovább húzta a köteleken és emiatt a kezük egyre lazább
lett.)?
Az utazók rájöttek, hogy ez történik, bár már nem érezték a kezüket. Azt
hitték, hogy a vérük már nem ér a kezükbe és nem tudták mozgatni az ujjukat.
Sam tovább próbálta kihúzni a kezét a kötelből, Stefan is.

Az utazók kezüknek nehezség tovább húzta a köteleken és emiatt a kezük egyre lazább
lett. - please explain here what you wanted to say!

gyomruk - we discussed this matter a few months ago, remember that plural 3rd person
possesive endings are used only when there is a marked or unmarked personal pronoun,
and only singular 3rd person ending is used when there is a noun!

hribecek wrote:

Egy napon két ember a helyiségben volt és adott ételt az utazóknak, amikor Sam azt
érezte, hogy végre a kéze esik le a kötelből. Ez volt természetesen jó újság, de azt
jelentette is, hogy az emberek Sam esést fogják látni.

Egy napon két ember a helyiségben volt és adott ételt az utazóknak, amikor Sam azt
érezte, hogy végre a keze kiesik a kötelből. Ez volt természetesen jó
újság, de azt is jelentette, hogy az emberek Sam esését látni
fogják

I didnt correct "a keze kiesik a kötélből", however this is a little strange, I
would use here a different verb e. g. "kicsúszik"

fogják látni - this en emphasis here, and here it is not logical - "az emberek Sam
esését fogják látni" means that the men will see exactly the falling of Sam, and not
something else

hribecek wrote:

Sam tudta, hogy ez a nagy lehetősége és az emberek nem láthatják. Így Sam be kezdett
lökni a földbe a gyenge és sérült lábával, hogy még nem kiessen a kötelből a földre.
Ez volt nagyon nehéz Samnak, mert majdnem nem tudta használni a lábát, de sikerült,
mert pár perc után az emberek kimentek a helyiségből és bezárták az ajtót. Sam keze
végre kiesett a kötelből és Sam leesett a földre.

Sam tudta, hogy ez a nagy lehetősége és az emberek nem láthatják meg. Így Sam
kezdte lökni a földet a gyenge és sérült lábával, hogy még ne essen
ki
a kötelből a földre. Ez volt nagyon nehéz Samnak, mert majdnem nem tudta
használni a lábát, de sikerült, mert pár perc után az emberek kimentek a helyiségből és
bezárták az ajtót. Sam keze végre kiesett a kötelből és Sam leesett a földre.

I have to say that I didnt understand this part of the story! I corrected the
errors, but I dont understand it logically... What is the connection between kicking
the floor and not falling from the rope? This Sam must be some kind of talented circus
artist... :-)

hribecek wrote:

Stefan természetesen ezt látta és végre újra remélte, hogy minden jó lesz. Valójában
nagyon szomorú volt, mert hitte, hogy az apja halott, de most csak akart menekülni,
hogy megkeresse a rendőrséget, mert nagyon kívánta, hogy megbüntetsék ezeket a gonosz
embereket. Most a legfontosabb volt az, hogy menekülnek.

Stefan természetesen ezt látta és végre újra remélte, hogy minden jó lesz. Valójában
nagyon szomorú volt, mert azt hitte, hogy az apja halott, de most csak akart
menekülni, hogy megkeresse a rendőrséget, mert nagyon kívánta, hogy megbüntessék
ezeket a gonosz embereket. Most a legfontosabb volt az, hogy megmenekülnek.

Remeber about t-s change in some verbs!

hribecek wrote:

Lassan Samnak fel sikerült ülnie, de a lába túl serült volt, hogy felálljon. A
helyiség sarkában volt egy szék, ezért Sam lassan mászott a helyiség sarkjához és át
kezdte lökni a széket a padlón Stefan irányába. Elért Stefanhoz és tette a széket
pontosan Stefan elé. Akkor lassan felmászott a székre és sikerült ülnie a széken.
„Most kell használnom a testedet, hogy felmásszak a kötelhez a kezed körül. Ez fog
fájni neked, de más mód nincs.” Mondta Sam Stefannak.

Lassan Samnak fel sikerült ülnie, de a lába túl sérült volt, hogy felálljon. A
helyiség sarkában volt egy szék, ezért Sam lassan mászott a helyiség sarkához és
kezdte lökni a széket a padlón Stefan irányába. Elért Stefanhoz és tette a
széket pontosan Stefan elé. Akkor lassan felmászott a székre és sikerült ülnie a
széken.
„Most kell használnom a testedet, hogy felmásszak a kötelhez a kezed köré. Ez
fog fájni neked, de más mód nincs.” Mondta Sam Stefannak.

hribecek wrote:

„Értem, kész vagyok. Egy kicsit majd tudok segíteni. Majd fellökök a lábaman, hogy
magasan leszél.” Válaszolta Stefan.

„Rendben. Most elkezdek.” Mondta Sam és akkor elért a gyenge kezzel Stefan vállára.   

„Értem, kész vagyok. Egy kicsit majd tudok segíteni. ?(Majd fellökök a lábaman,
hogy magasan leszél.)?
” Válaszolta Stefan.

„Rendben. Most elkezdem.” Mondta Sam és akkor elért a gyenge kézzel
Stefan vállára.   

I am not sure about "Sam akkor elért a gyenge kézzel Stefan vállára" - whose hand?
why on Stefans shoulder?

Also please explain "Majd fellökök a lábaman, hogy magasan leszél. Majd fellökök a
lábaman, hogy magasan leszél." this is incorrect, but I dont want to correct it without
understanding what you mean.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 1158 of 1549
11 March 2012 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:
In the last sentence we have almost the same case which we discussed the last time.
First there is a subject "ők" (unmarked, but its there) and this "ők" is the same as
"utazók", so later you cannot use "utazók" as object, as this make the text unclear, it
may mean that there are some other "utazók" there!

I guess it's a case of my writing being too slow and so I forget the flow of the sentence and how I'd structured the start of the sentence. I read through it before posting it but obviously my reading is too slow too!

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 1159 of 1549
11 March 2012 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:
Az utazók kezüknek nehezség tovább húzta a köteleken és emiatt a kezük egyre lazább
lett. - please explain here what you wanted to say!
"The weight of the travellers was pulling down on the ropes and because of this their hands were getting looser."

I realise I shouldn't have written 'kezüknek'. Would it be correct without this word?

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 1160 of 1549
11 March 2012 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:
gyomruk - we discussed this matter a few months ago, remember that plural 3rd person
possesive endings are used only when there is a marked or unmarked personal pronoun,
and only singular 3rd person ending is used when there is a noun!
I remember but I was confusing it with "gyomraik" as the one that can't be used in this case.

Does my semtence mean that Sam and Stefan share one stomach? :))

This discussion contains 1549 messages over 194 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version