Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Hungarian - January challenge thread

Tags: Hungarian
 Language Learning Forum : Multilingual Lounge Post Reply
1549 messages over 194 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 113 ... 193 194 Next >>
maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4862 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, Bulgarian, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Latin, Modern Hebrew

Message 897 of 1549
20 November 2011 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:

Have you ever heard native csángó speakers speak their dialect? How much do you understand?

I heard only songs, not real speech. I understood 70 %.

hribecek wrote:

Can you explain why you think Hungarians have developed this attitude to dialects in their language?

I dont know. Maybe this is a complex of inferiority.

hribecek wrote:

Personally I have a quite standard accent (when I say standard, I mean something like BBC English!), although someone from outside the South East of England would say I have a London Cockney accent. Funnily though a real London Cockney speaker would say that I speak nothing like them and speak completely standard or the Queen's English! The truth is somewhere in between.

For me the easiest to understand is the US Midwest pronunciation, I think this is the Standard version of American English. Second easiest is the British BBC English.

The most ununderstandable is the Texas and other Southern US dialects and the worst is the Afro-American version. When listening to Afro-American rap music, I understand no more then 10 %!!!

Outside of the US and UK, it is very difficult to understand the speech of Caribbean native English speakers. However there is an interesting feature: educated people from there usually speak two language versions: their own Caribbean dialect at home and Standard British in other situations. So when speaking with foreigners, they switch from Jamaican/Barbadosian/etc. to something like British English.

I have no problem with Indian English! Maybe because I have a lot of Indian colleagues.

For you, as a native speaker, which is the most difficult to understand English dialect?
3 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 898 of 1549
21 November 2011 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:

For me the easiest to understand is the US Midwest pronunciation, I think this is the Standard version of American English. Second easiest is the British BBC English.

The most ununderstandable is the Texas and other Southern US dialects and the worst is the Afro-American version. When listening to Afro-American rap music, I understand no more then 10 %!!!

Outside of the US and UK, it is very difficult to understand the speech of Caribbean native English speakers. However there is an interesting feature: educated people from there usually speak two language versions: their own Caribbean dialect at home and Standard British in other situations. So when speaking with foreigners, they switch from Jamaican/Barbadosian/etc. to something like British English.

I have no problem with Indian English! Maybe because I have a lot of Indian colleagues.

For you, as a native speaker, which is the most difficult to understand English dialect?

For me all American dialects are easy to understand because I grew up watching so many American films and series and listening to American music. I wouldn't be able to imitate for example the Afro-American dialect very well but understand everything or maybe 99.9%.

It's the same for Australian English, there were many Australian TV series when I was growing up so I understand Australian English perfectly too.

The most difficult dialects for me are the ones I've had the least exposure to; so strong Glaswegian is really difficult and strong Geordie (around Newcastle in England) is also sometimes very tricky. I remember asking Glaswegians to repeat themselves many times and still not understanding when I was there and the same but to a lesser extent in Newcastle.

New Zealand and South African English are also very easy to understand. The funny thing is that most Americans can't recognise the difference between a British, Australian and South African accent, to them they're the same! They are very different though and British people, Australians and South Africans can easily hear the big (for us) difference.

As you said, many native speakers can adapt their speech from their dialect to a standard form of English (although still with their local accent) and this is what Glaswegians had to do for me to understand them! I understand them better now but I still have to concentrate.

Here are some videos showing the Glaswegian accent -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXGP4Sez_Us - this one shows the big difference between standard American and Glaswegian.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMVOITJxdeg - this guy is speaking standard Scottish English but teaching some Glaswegian words.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc55XJY4wEU&feature=related - this is the best representation of Glaswegian English. Sometimes it's quite clear, maybe even for you, but for some parts I really have to concentrate to understand.   
2 persons have voted this message useful

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4862 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 899 of 1549
21 November 2011 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
maxval wrote:

For me all American dialects are easy to understand because I grew up watching so many American films and series and listening to American music. I wouldn't be able to imitate for example the Afro-American dialect very well but understand everything or maybe 99.9%.

It's the same for Australian English, there were many Australian TV series when I was growing up so I understand Australian English perfectly too.

The most difficult dialects for me are the ones I've had the least exposure to; so strong Glaswegian is really difficult and strong Geordie (around Newcastle in England) is also sometimes very tricky. I remember asking Glaswegians to repeat themselves many times and still not understanding when I was there and the same but to a lesser extent in Newcastle.

New Zealand and South African English are also very easy to understand. The funny thing is that most Americans can't recognise the difference between a British, Australian and South African accent, to them they're the same! They are very different though and British people, Australians and South Africans can easily hear the big (for us) difference.

As you said, many native speakers can adapt their speech from their dialect to a standard form of English (although still with their local accent) and this is what Glaswegians had to do for me to understand them! I understand them better now but I still have to concentrate.

Here are some videos showing the Glaswegian accent -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXGP4Sez_Us - this one shows the big difference between standard American and Glaswegian.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMVOITJxdeg - this guy is speaking standard Scottish English but teaching some Glaswegian words.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc55XJY4wEU&feature=related - this is the best representation of Glaswegian English. Sometimes it's quite clear, maybe even for you, but for some parts I really have to concentrate to understand.   

Why is it called Glaswegian and not Glasgowian???
1 person has voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 900 of 1549
21 November 2011 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:

Why is it called Glaswegian and not Glasgowian???

I don't know but it's probably from Gaelic????? Good question!

I also don't know why people from Liverpool are called Scousers, people from Newcastle are called Geordies and some people from London are called Cockneys.

Edited by hribecek on 21 November 2011 at 5:14pm

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 901 of 1549
27 November 2011 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
A TIZENKETEDIK FEJEZET – A HÁROM PÚPOS SZIGET

Richard tovább feküdt a hegy oldaljában és a nagy szikla még Richard karján volt. Már nem fájt a karja, Richard nem érezt semmit és azt hitte, hogy ez rossz, mert jelentette, hogy már csak egy karja lesz. Valójában Richardnak a legfontosabb volt, hogy nem hal meg, hogy túlél, mert most tűnt, mintha nagyon nehéz lenne túlélni. Richardot meglepte, hogy nem volt sok a vérje a szikla körül, valójában nem látott vért. Ez jelenhette, hogy a szikla védte Richardot, mert a vérje a karjában nem tudott menekülni.

Közben, Sam, Terry és Stefan tovább mentek le a hegyről. Az emberek a ködben már nem beszéltek, de a három utazó tudta, hogy még ott vannak. Sam gyűjtött köveket és dobta őket a ködbe az emberek irányukba, de nem azt hallotta, hogy valakit ütött.   Parszor kutyák ugattak és ezúttal úgy látszott, hogy talán több, mint 4 kutya ott van.

Elértek a helyre, ahol leesett Richard és Stefan azonnal meglátott egy kalapot az úton és felismert, hogy tartozik Richardnak. Az út nagyon keskeny volt és az út mellett nagy sziklák voltak. Meglátták a nagy lyukot, ahol ezelőtt a szikla volt, ami ráesett Richardra.

„Az a kalap Richardé! Mi történt, hogy a kalapját hagyta? Ez az út nagyon veszélyes, remélem, hogy rendben van Richard.” Mondta Stefan.

„Én is, látod a lyukot a kalap mellett, azt hiszem, hogy ott volt egy nagy szikla. Richard, vagy ott!” Kiabálta Sam.

Még fújt a szél és bár Richard csak húsz méter tőlük volt, Richard nem hallotta Sam hangját. Sam és Stefan tovább kiabáltak és végre Richard őket hallotta. Boldog volt Richard és kiabált vissza olyan hangosan, mint tudott. Richard rájött gyorsan, hogy ez nagyon nehéz, mert már ott feküdt sokaig és egy kicsit veszítette a hangját és a másik problémája volt, hogy Richard körül sok szikla volt és a gyenge hangja nem utazott messze.

Lassan Stefan, Terry és Sam átmentek a keskeny úton és Stefan felkapta a kalapot.

„Richardnak kell lennie itt közel, le kellett esnie itt. Nekünk meg kell találnunk őt. Megnézzünk lent ez az út alatt.” Javasolta Stefan.

„Igen, menjünk le ott, ahol nem túl meredek.” Beleegyezett Terry.

Mentek egy helyhez, ahol volt fű és tűnt bisztonságosabban és le kezdtek menni Richard iranyába.

Közben az emberek a ködben nézték és várták az alkalomját.

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4862 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 902 of 1549
27 November 2011 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:

A TIZENKETEDIK FEJEZET – A HÁROM PÚPOS SZIGET

A TIZENKETTEDIK FEJEZET – A HÁROM PÚPOS SZIGET

hribecek wrote:

Richard tovább feküdt a hegy oldaljában és a nagy szikla még Richard karján volt. Már nem fájt a karja, Richard nem érezt semmit és azt hitte, hogy ez rossz, mert jelentette, hogy már csak egy karja lesz.

Richard tovább feküdt a hegy oldalában és a nagy szikla még Richard karján volt. Már nem fájt a karja, Richard nem érzett semmit és azt hitte, hogy ez rossz, mert azt jelenti, hogy már csak egy karja lesz. .

hribecek wrote:

Valójában Richardnak a legfontosabb volt, hogy nem hal meg, hogy túlél, mert most tűnt, mintha nagyon nehéz lenne túlélni.

Valójában Richardnak a legfontosabb az volt, hogy ne haljon meg, hogy túlélje, mert most úgy tűnt, hogy nagyon nehéz lesz túlélnie.

In this case Imp. Mood needs to be used! Usually if there is a wish, then almost always Imp. is used.

hribecek wrote:

Richardot meglepte, hogy nem volt sok a vérje a szikla körül, valójában nem látott vért. Ez jelenhette, hogy a szikla védte Richardot, mert a vérje a karjában nem tudott menekülni.

Richardot meglepte, hogy nem volt sok a vére a szikla körül, valójában nem látott vért. Ez azt jelenthette, hogy a szikla védte Richardot, mert a vére a karjából nem tudott kifolyni.

hribecek wrote:

Közben, Sam, Terry és Stefan tovább mentek le a hegyről. Az emberek a ködben már nem beszéltek, de a három utazó tudta, hogy még ott vannak. Sam gyűjtött köveket és dobta őket a ködbe az emberek irányukba, de nem azt hallotta, hogy valakit ütött.   Parszor kutyák ugattak és ezúttal úgy látszott, hogy talán több, mint 4 kutya ott van.

Közben, Sam, Terry és Stefan tovább mentek le a hegyről. Az emberek a ködben már nem beszéltek, de a három utazó tudta, hogy még ott vannak. Sam gyűjtött köveket és dobta őket a ködbe az emberek irányába, de azt nem hallotta, hogy valakit megütöttek-e a kövek.   Párszor kutyák ugattak és ezúttal úgy látszott, hogy talán több, mint 4 kutya van ott.

hribecek wrote:

Elértek a helyre, ahol leesett Richard és Stefan azonnal meglátott egy kalapot az úton és felismert, hogy tartozik Richardnak. Az út nagyon keskeny volt és az út mellett nagy sziklák voltak. Meglátták a nagy lyukot, ahol ezelőtt a szikla volt, ami ráesett Richardra.

Elértek a helyre, ahol leesett Richard és Stefan azonnal meglátott egy kalapot az úton és felismerte, hogy az Richardhoz tartozik. Az út nagyon keskeny volt és az út mellett nagy sziklák voltak. Meglátták a nagy lyukat, ahol ezelőtt a szikla volt, ami ráesett Richardra.

hribecek wrote:

„Az a kalap Richardé! Mi történt, hogy a kalapját hagyta? Ez az út nagyon veszélyes, remélem, hogy rendben van Richard.” Mondta Stefan.

„Az a kalap Richardé! Mi történt, hogy a kalapját itt hagyta? Ez az út nagyon veszélyes, remélem, hogy rendben van Richard.” Mondta Stefan.

hribecek wrote:

„Én is, látod a lyukot a kalap mellett, azt hiszem, hogy ott volt egy nagy szikla. Richard, vagy ott!” Kiabálta Sam.

„Én is, látod a lyukat a kalap mellett, azt hiszem, hogy ott volt egy nagy szikla. Richard, ott vagy?” Kiabálta Sam.

hribecek wrote:

Még fújt a szél és bár Richard csak húsz méter tőlük volt, Richard nem hallotta Sam hangját. Sam és Stefan tovább kiabáltak és végre Richard őket hallotta. Boldog volt Richard és kiabált vissza olyan hangosan, mint tudott. Richard rájött gyorsan, hogy ez nagyon nehéz, mert már ott feküdt sokaig és egy kicsit veszítette a hangját és a másik problémája volt, hogy Richard körül sok szikla volt és a gyenge hangja nem utazott messze.

Még fújt a szél és bár Richard csak húsz méterre tőlük volt, Richard nem hallotta Sam hangját. Sam és Stefan tovább kiabáltak és végre Richard őket meghallotta. Boldog volt Richard és kiabált vissza olyan hangosan, ahogy tudott. Richard rájött gyorsan, hogy ez nagyon nehéz, mert már ott feküdt sok ideje és egy kicsit elveszítette a hangját és a másik problémája az volt, hogy Richard körül sok szikla volt és a gyenge hangja nem hallatszott messze.

Sokáig - is only used for time forward. For backward it cannot be used!

hribecek wrote:

Lassan Stefan, Terry és Sam átmentek a keskeny úton és Stefan felkapta a kalapot.
„Richardnak kell lennie itt közel, le kellett esnie itt. Nekünk meg kell találnunk őt. Megnézzünk lent ez az út alatt.” Javasolta Stefan.

„Richardnak kell lennie itt közel, le kellett esnie itt. Nekünk meg kell találnunk őt. Megnézzük lent ez alatt az út alatt.” Javasolta Stefan.

With demonstrative pronouns the postpositions are used doubled!
Az út - ez az út - az az út
Az út alatt - ez alatt az út alatt - az alatt az út alatt

hribecek wrote:

„Igen, menjünk le ott, ahol nem túl meredek.” Beleegyezett Terry.
Mentek egy helyhez, ahol volt fű és tűnt bisztonságosabban és le kezdtek menni Richard iranyába.

„Igen, menjünk le oda, ahol nem túl meredek.” egyezett bele Terry.
Mentek egy helyre, ahol volt fű és biztonságosabbnak tűnt és le kezdtek menni Richard irányába.

hribecek wrote:

Közben az emberek a ködben nézték és várták az alkalomját.

Közben az emberek a ködben nézték és várták az alkalmát.

Minek az alkalmát nézték és várták???

Edited by maxval on 27 November 2011 at 5:53pm

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 903 of 1549
27 November 2011 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:

With demonstrative pronouns the postpositions are used doubled!
Az út - ez az út - az az út
Az út alatt - ez alatt az út alatt - az alatt az út alatt

That's new for me. It feels like such a strange structure for my brain, I'll have to do some re-wiring!   

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 904 of 1549
27 November 2011 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:

Közben az emberek a ködben nézték és várták az alkalmát.

Minek az alkalmát nézték és várták???

Az alkalmát támadásnak.

Their opportunity to attack the travellers.

This discussion contains 1549 messages over 194 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version