Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Iversen’s Multiconfused Log (see p.1!)

Tags: Multilingual
 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
3959 messages over 495 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 433 ... 494 495 Next >>

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5452 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 3457 of 3959
02 December 2013 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
I overheard a conversation some days ago, when it was said that Julius was more common in my area than anywhere else in Sweden (in fact, the person had never met ANYONE named Julius before moving here).

Interesting blog post:
http://survivinglifeinsweden.blogspot.se/2012/12/swedish-bab y-names-redux.html

The other side of the spectrum is those who name their kids Anné, Pierré, Helené...
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 5246 days ago

9078 posts - 16471 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3458 of 3959
04 December 2013 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
DU: Ik zat in mijn werk-leunstoel gisteren en hadde niets te lezen op Nederlands (mijn computer met internet enz. is buiten bereik van mijn fauteuil). Zo ik studeerde de inhoud van de achterkant van mijn boekenplank (waartoe de fictie is vewijst), en ik vond daar een klein, maar dicht gedrukte boekje dat ik helemaal ben vergeten: "Het ontwaken der Mensheid" van Herbert Kühn,Prisma 1958, duitse originaal van 1954. Toen waren de Neanderthalers, Homo erectus en sommige Australopithecus-species bekend, maar sinds 1954 heeft de paleontologen veel nieuwe hominiden en prehominiden gevonden, en sommige van deze ontdekkingen hebben de interpretatie van de oudere vondsten diepgaand veranderd - dus het boek is nu zeker verouderd. Maar het onderwerp interesseert me, en de stijl en de dichte druk zal het zeer bruikbaar als goedenacht-lezen maken. Het ontwaken van de mensheid wordt zo mijn nieuwe slaapwel pil - welk ironie!

I can't reach my computer with the internet connection from my comfy chair, and yesterday evening I needed something to read in Dutch so I consulted the backside of my bookshelves where I keep all the fictional books. Among these I found a little second-hand book from 1958 called 'The awakening of mankind'. And no, it isn't science fiction - on the contrary, it is a non-fictional account of the early history of man. The problem is that in 1954 the only Neanderthals, Homo erectus and bones of a few Australopithecus species were known, but the paleontologists have found lots of new bones and other remains since then, and some of these fundamentally change the view we have on the extinct hominids and prehominids. But the theme is interesting, and because of the somewhat heavy writing style and the small print this account will certainly function well as goodnight reading. The awakening of mankind thus becomes a sleeping pill for me - somewhat ironically.

I had also time to study a page of Harry Potter in Irish and some Indonesian, but then I fell asleep.

Edited by Iversen on 04 December 2013 at 1:57pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 5246 days ago

9078 posts - 16471 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3459 of 3959
05 December 2013 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
IC: Ég hef núna óg gert orðreikningum á íslensku, og niðurstöðurnar voru almennt eins og búist. Tiltölulega mörg orð voru metinn sem 'giskaleg', og þetta er sem auðvitað vegna bakgrunni mínum í dönsku. Sumir orðarætur sem eg vissi ekki, átti mörg afleiður, og þetta kostaði mig alveg fullt á vog. Til dæmi þekkti ég ekki "kafa" (Dönsk: 'at dykke', ensk 'to dive'), en það finnast marg afleiðsla, eins óg "köfun föt", "köfun námskeið", "köfunartæki", "kafari", "köfun" og svo framvegis Og gamla orðabók Sigurðssons hafði nóg af tilvísanir til símskeytum og símbréf sem ég hef ekki gert neitt til að læra.

My Icelandic wordcounts gave the following results:
Iðunnar: 9000 known (43%) and 3000 guessable (13%) out of roughly 20.000
Sigurdsson: 8000 known (42%) and 2000 guessable (12%) out of roughly 18.000

The percentages for guessable words are fairly high, but given that it is a Nordic language where I have read comparatively few texts and listened even less this isn't really surprising. In 2009 I got 48% resp. 53% 'known' words (which back then included guessable words), and you may ask why I haven't made any progress. Well maybe I have, and then I have just been more fuzzy about knowing the corrrect meanings this time. However I also 'lost' a number of pages with many words based on a few roots, which I didn't know (like "kafa" for 'to dive').

In Sigurdsson I counted every 50th page, and one of these happened to be the one with at least ten words for telegrams and telegraphs – which I haven't spent much effort on – and telephones, which I do know. Their common root is síma, which means thread. An oldfashioned telephone with a cable is a "sími"– but a mobile phone is farsíma (far-thread) even though the cable has disappeared long ago. That's how the linguistically conservative Icelanders deal with modern contraptions. They ask themselves: what would Egil Skallagrimsson have called this thing (before he planted his axe in your skull)? OK, then that's also how we should call it. But this attitude may be under attack from youngsters who care less about the glorious past than about the current affairs of their American pop idols. Otherwise the word "hotel" wouldn't have seeped into the Icelandic language.

Edited by Iversen on 05 December 2013 at 1:33pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3371 days ago

2371 posts - 3675 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 3460 of 3959
05 December 2013 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
Would "hotel" have otherwise been the equivalent of "rock-dwelling for many unrelated
people with built-in hot-springs"? :-)

Iversen

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

/forum/forum_posts.asp, line 1160