Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Iversen’s Multiconfused Log (see p.1!)

Tags: Multilingual
 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
3959 messages over 495 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 399 ... 494 495 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6453 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3185 of 3959
14 February 2013 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
Thanks to mahasiswa for that explanation. I still scratch my head to understand it, but it seems to me that there is some inner contradiction in the notion of abjad. In its unequivocal form it would be a writing system exclusively with signs for the consonants, but as a matter of fact you can indicate vowels in both Arabic and Hebrew - it is just not an obligatory feature, and the way you do it distinguishes them from the consonants (e.g. loose dots above or below the consonantal sign). Another layer of confusion is added by calling these vowel signs diacritical. Diacritics in the Latin and Cyricllic and Hellenic alphabets are signs you can put on a letter (consonant or vowel), but the result is another letter. The only exception from this are 1) the trema ¨, which in for instance Greek doesn't define new letter, but just that two wowels don't form a diphtong 2) the accent signs and things like the old aspiration signs in Greek which typically aren't called diacritics. Different languages may however have different conventions. For instance my Icelandic-English clearly defines letters with accent signs as different from letters without them, which is clear from the way words are sorted alphabetically. But in my Greek dictionaries accents don't influence the sorting sequence. In Polish the sorting sequence indicates that the diacritics define different letters, and that includes those signs which looks like accent signs. In French they don't.

In Ogham the vowel signs seem to be more like the consonants than the Irish text suggested - i.e. not dots but small strokes drawn upon the same long line as the consonants. And then Ogham is an alphat and its wowel signs are letters - expecially if they can't randomly omitted or written (which isn't speified in my sources). As for the Arabic and Hebrew writing systems it would be better to call them semi-Abjads because they do have vowels signs, but these sign are not obligatory and they are clearly different from the consonantal signs. One of the Arabic vowels (u ?) actually looks like one of Tarvos' escapees.

Edited by Iversen on 14 February 2013 at 11:27am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6453 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3186 of 3959
14 February 2013 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
RU: В автобусе с работы домой, я читал несколько дней книжку Полиглота о Дании. Я купил книгу, когда я бывал в России несколько лет назад, но тогда я не мог прочитать ее, а затем она исчез. Я нашел ее среди моих журналов. Мой родной город "Århus" пишется как "Орхус", но это лучше, чем ужасный правописание "Aarhus", так как наш бывший мэр налагал на нас. Последние новости в том, что вы сделали новый район, который получает имена "Aarhus Ø". Иногда я думаю, что нужно быть идиотом, чтобы быть политиком. "Rømø" пишется как ' Рёмё', потому что русский язык не имеет звук, похожий на датском /ø/ . Y пишется "Nyborg" как " Ню борг", но на самом деле "ы" дать более полное представление звука.

SP: He guardado la televisión española ayer y el día anterior. Hay a menudo emisiones de TVE, donde visitamos a los españoles en el extranjero y a los extranjeros en España. Anteayer hemos visitado una dama en Canadá y después fuimos en Kandy en Sri Lanka. Me gusta ver ciudades que yo también he visitado. Por desgracia, a menudo hay música de fondo feo, pero prefiero televisión española (TVE) a la televisión Italiana (Raiuno). Hace mucho tiempo que no vé SuperQuark o Passaggio al Oveste en Raiuno, y el resto de sus programas son realmente miserables.

IT: Due giorni fa ho visto, però, le notizie Italiane su Raiuno. Non accade ogni giorno che un papa dimissioni (in particolare in modo opzionale) - l'ultima volta che abbiamo visto qualcosa di questo genere fu nell'anno 1417 quando uno scisma con due o tre papi è stata risolto dal Concilio di Costanza, dove i cardinali spararono tre papi ed eleggeranno un solo nuovo papa, il Martino V. "Affermata l'autorità del concilio, i padri conciliari dichiararono antipapi Giovanni XXIII e Benedetto XIII. Il papa Gregorio XII, accettando l'autorità del concilio e per il bene della Chiesa preferì dimettersi spontaneamente."

IR: Rinne mé inné staidéar ar an tús airteagal Vicipéid ar stair na hÉireann, agus inis se an chuid seo den téacs faoi Ogham agus teanga na Gaeilge d'aois. Ní raibh an pobail Cheilteacha na hEorpa a scríobh i bhfad, agus mar sin Ogham go háirithe ar a dtugtar ó inscríbhinní ar gallán. Tá na inscríbhinní gann, áfach. Nuair a tháinig an Chríostaíocht go hÉirinn, scríobh manaigh finscéalta sean go leor síos, ach thionscnamh siad aibítir na Laidine. Léigh mé agus a chóipeáil alt "An tOgham agus an tSean-Ghaeilge", agus anois tá mé réidh chun ionsaí ar an Mheán-Aois. Mothaím go bhfuil airteagal seo níos éasca ná an airteagal faoi Eabhrais.

GR: Στην ελληνική οδηγός μου στην Αθήνα έφτασα χθες να μελετήσει τις ενότητες σχετικά με το κοινοβούλιο και τον κήπο (ή πάρκο) πίσω.

The last couple of days I have been studying a small guide to Denmark in Russian which I bought at the Sheremetjevo II airport last time I visited Russia. At the time it was too difficult for me, and it disappeared. But then I found it again among some old magazines, and this time the level is more suitable for extensive reading. The most funny aspect is the way Danish place names are rendered. My own town Århus is written like /orgus/ because Russian doesn't have a proper h - however its 'х' would be a better approximation. In the same way I personally think "ы" would be a better transkription of Danish "y" than the letter "ю", but I assume the principles have become too entrenched now to be changed. Byt the way: I have mentioned the completely idiotic change from "Århus" to "Aarhus" which our misguided former mayor imposed on our poor city before leaving for a minister job in the present government. Now his successors have dubbed a new area near the harbour as "Aarhus Ø". Eh, wasn't the idea to cleanse our city of any reference to the Danish alphabet?

I have watched Spanish TVE a couple of days in a row. Late in the evening they often have programs where they visit Spaniards abroad and abroadians in Spain. Unfortunately they have a tendency to add bad music - otherwise I would really have liked these programs, where I often can see places which I have visited during my own travels (like Ottawa in Canada and Kandy in Sri Lanka). I did however also watch the news from Raiuno a couple of days ago - it is not very often a reigning pope decides to go into 'early' retirement. Last time it happened was in 1417, where the concile in Konstanz deposed two popes and persuaded a third to retire so that the Catholic church could get back to a situation with just one pope.

And lo and behold, I have also studied Irish. I have made a bilingual version of a long article in my dear Vicipéid about Irish history, and I have copied and studied the sections about the old times, where also Ogham was mentioned. The Celtic tribes which occupied most of Europe long ago didn't write anything down, they apparently thought it was enough that their druids had a good memory. On Ireland and the adjoing parts of Great Britain (including Small Britain and Man) they did at least invent Ogham, but the majority of their inscriptions are short .. things hammered into menhirs and things like that. If they ever wrote on softer materials these things didn't survive, only the hard rocks. So it took a conversion to Christianity to really get some writing going on that island, and since then the Irish haven't looked back. Fortunately the first generations of monks recorded a number of Old Irish tales from the Pagan times, otherwise we wouldn't have known anything about the beliefs and tales of the Celts apart from a few fairly biased and mostly untrustworthy references in Roman historic works.

Edited by Iversen on 14 February 2013 at 10:33pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6453 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 3187 of 3959
14 February 2013 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
SP: Hay algunas veces sorpresas en el internet. Por ejemplo he visto hoy un video del sitio de RTVE sobre un asteroide que pesa 130.000 toneladas y pasará a solo 27.860 kilómetros de la Tierra mañana - 7 % de la distancia a la Luna. Pero no se huerta contra nuestra planeta y por eso no estamos todas en un estado de histeria en este momento - somos seres racionales. Sin embargo, se usted tiene un casco de bicicleta podria ser lógico llevarlo mañana.

Sometimes you get small surprises when you surf the internet. I have just watched a video at the homepage of the Spanish TV channel RTVE which claimed that a 130.000 ton asteroid will pass the Earth tomorrow at a distance of just 27,860 km - the Moon is 13-15 times further away at a distance somewhere between 356,400 and 406,700 kms. So if you have a bicycle helmet then maybe you should wear it tomorrow - something heavy might come surprisingly close to your head.

Edited by Iversen on 14 February 2013 at 11:10pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5674 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 3188 of 3959
15 February 2013 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Byt the way: I have mentioned the completely idiotic change from "Århus" to "Aarhus" which our misguided former mayor imposed on our poor city before leaving for a minister job in the present government. Now his successors have dubbed a new area near the harbour as "Aarhus Ø". Eh, wasn't the idea to cleanse our city of any reference to the Danish alphabet?

Afr: Ek kan nie hierdie veranderings verstaan nie. Miskien het die burgemeester van jou stad geglo dat die "Aa" makliker as "Å" vir engelsprekend toeriste te uitspraak sou wees. Dit is inderdaad 'n groot misgis want dit is regtig meer verwarrend en moeilik. Die eerste probleem is vir my dat die dobbel a soos 'n verkeerd gespel nederlands naam kyk, verder is die dobbel a enige baie skaars in geskrewe engels sien. Niemand weet nie hoe om dit te uitspraak nie. Die "Ø" is tog nie so moeilik te sê nie miskien jou stadsraad glo die "Ø" baie lekker is. Ja, ek weet dit maak nie saak nie wat ek dink aangesien ek is nie deens nie maar hierdie veranderings is onlogies.

Edited by mick33 on 15 February 2013 at 12:27am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6453 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 3189 of 3959
17 February 2013 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
AF: Dit was amusant weer 'n bietjie Afrikaans te sien, te danke aan Mick33.

I visited my mother and sister this weekend, and as usual we watched TV. When we watched a program about African animals I simply couldn't resist the temptation to tell my family that an elephant is a "fíl" in Icelandic. And a "slon" in Russian. And then my sister asked me what a mammoth is called in Russian and because I wasn't quite sure I happened to find a Danish-Russian dictionary in my travel bag to look it up. In most families the availability of this item might have been seen as slightly surprising, but my family has become used my antics. But alas, in this case I was betrayed by my dictionary - it didn't contain this immensely important and immensely Russian term. One day later while walking on the road to the nearest supermarket I suddenly remembered the correct term: мамонт (/mamont/). And of course I had to report this to my mother, and next time I speak to my sister she can't avoid being told too. You can't ask a question and then run away from the answer.

One funny thing about the scientific family name "Mammutidae" is that the term apparently first was used to describe mastodons (which have a flatter back than both 'our' elephants and the true mammoths), but say mammoth and everybody thinks "wholly mammoth" (Mammutus primigenius). Quote Wikipedia: "Mastodons (Greek: μαστός "breast" and ὀδούς, "tooth") are an extinct group of mammal species related to elephants, that inhabited North and Central America during the late Miocene or late Pliocene up to their extinction at the end of the Pleistocene 11,000 years ago. Their genus name is Mammut and they are members of the order Proboscidea." The woolly Mammoth - and its less hairy forerunners - was more closely related to the surviving elephants than it was to the Mastodons.

OK, 'nuff about paleontological names.

RU: В эти выходные я изучил статью из русский веб-сайт postnauka.ru. Статья была озаглавлена " Существует ли суперсимметрия в мире элементарных частиц?", и ответ - "да" (хотя отсутствие четких научных доказательств). Я уже описал ядерной физики как жанр, которая трудность переоценена, и эта статья подтвердила это. К счастью, я читал на эту тему статей на других языках, поэтому я не придется превратить простые термины, такие, как кварки, спина и квантовая хромодинамика. И "калибровочная теория", конечно, "gauge theory" на английском языке. Я, однако, более подробное объяснение чисел Грассмана, и я должен также повторять обстоятельства унитарные группы "SU (3) X SU (2) х U (1)". Но все знают, есть дыры в знаниях каждого.

DU: Onder de TV programma van dit weekend heb ik vooral te noemen "Kunst en Kitsch" van BVN in het Nederlands - hetzelfde soort programma word in het Zweeds genaamd "Antikrunden", in het Duits "Kunst und Krempel" en op Britse Engels zo iets als "Antiques Roadshow".

I have earlier claimed that the difficulty of articles about nuclear physics is somewhat overrated: there are a limited number of notions and 'buzzwords' you need to know beforehand (at least by name, but not necessarily in all their mathematical complexity). This weekend I have studied and partly copied an artikel from the Russian homepage postnauka.ru with the title "Is there supersymmetry in the world of elementary particles" (and according to the article the answer seems to be yes, although it may be slightly difficult to prove it). Luckily I have read about the same things in English and Danish and a few other languages, so simple words like quarks and spin and quantumchromodynamics were easy to recognize. I used a bilingual setup, but even without that I could probably also have guessed that "калибровочная теория" (calibration theory) meant "gauge theory" - but mostly because it hardly could be anything else. I'll have to look up afterwards what Grassmann numbers are (apart from being non-commutative), and my memories about non-Abelian groups proved too hazy to decode instantaneously an expression like "SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1)". But by and large the article was easy reading.

Among the TV programs I have watched this weekend I would first and foremost mention "Kunst en Kitsch" from BVN (in Dutch), which I sneaked to watch while my mother was occupied elsewhere. An hour of pure babble without music about things which often have international names, that's good for my Dutch.

Edited by Iversen on 18 February 2013 at 10:22am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6453 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 3190 of 3959
21 February 2013 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
Well, a couple of days without updates and my log has been buried several pages down the list. The diligence and productiveness of the log-writing members of this forum is impressive!

I have been doing wordlists in Russian and other languages, and in Russian I have almost reached the end of the letter B. But I have also done some grammatical studies, as for instance the choice of verbal aspect in infinitives. Here the simple rule about imperfect for repeated actions and perfect for single actions is even less useful then in main phrases, and some of the rules of thumb that can be used instead have preciously little to do with the concepts used for the main phrases. One problem a learner encounters while looking for examples is of course to correctly separate the two kinds of verbs. There are once again a number of rules of thumb that can be applied, but ultimately you need to learn the aspect with each new verb. And therefore I try to quote both parts of an aspect pair when I do Russian wordlists.

I have not read any Russian texts since the one about supersymmetry, but I'll try to find something more of the same excellent quality from the same site. My intensive text studies have instead focused on Irish, Indonesian and Latin (using Harrius Potter II). In the bus-back-home-from-work I have read some old printouts in New Norwegian and Low German - things which I can read without a dictionary. And then I have 'wasted' some time on reading two books in Danish since Monday, one with politically incorrect jokes (mostly dirty) and one about the Darwin awards. To be nominated for a Darwin award you have to to something so totally idiotic that it permanently removed you from the human gene pool - eugenics for the do-it-yourself types, so to say. And I have one more volume about such idiots. Like the student from Ohio who wanted to see how close he could get his head to a moving train. Against all odds he survived, so he could not get the full award, only a honorable mention for his good intentions. And people under 18 are not accepted for nomination, which in my view is an unsavoury example of political correctness. Even the dodgy Oscar awards can nominate children, and the Darwin Awards have much more material to take from.

I have also followed up on another grammatical problem, but this time across several languages: the notion of free predicatives. The immediate cause was the discussion in Vos' new log about its first title. I'm not going to enter that discussion (or judge whether the first version was correct or not), but just mention that there were two grammatical issues in play: 1) would you use a plural in the Dutch expression corresponding to "new beginnings"? 2) what exactly is "klein" in the expression "klein beginnen"? The analysis presented in that thread was that "klein" is used as an adverb(ial), but the word itself is an adjective.

In more general terms - and not just referring to Dutch - a predicative is something that is adjectival or substantival and gives some information about a substantival part of the phrase. Adverbials can tell about the whole sentence/the verbal part OR an adjective - in short about just about anything apart from substantives. A subject predicative tells about the subject via a copula (X is Y), an object predicate tells about the object (X makes Y Z), and then there is a restgroup where the predicate tells about the state of a substantival element ... which actually is very close to the role of an adverbial. The substantival element can be the subject, but with something different from a copula or copula-like verb as the verbal of the phrase. "He left hungry because ..." or "He left, hungry, because ....". The 'free' predicatives have also fuzzy demarcation line towards at least two other grammatical categories, namely elements in extraposition and appositions. This whole part of the sentence analysis is complicated and badly described in most grammars, and no ... I don't publish a full scientific treatise tomorrow about the subject.   

IT: Questa mattina mi svegliai da un sogno interamente in itаliano. Mi trovava in una città con una stazione ferroviaria enorme, un porto e strade che mi ricordo di altri sogni. Ho comprato biglietti e cercato i treni che erano a diversi livelli - la stazione era un vero labirinto. Poi ritornai al mio albergo, e a questo punto avevo una bicicleta, che ho tirato attraverso il vestibolo e per un passaggio a un parcheggio accanto - "il nuovo parcheggio" - dove io prevedevo che sarebbe probabilmente rubato, ma questo era il problema dell'hotel perché era un bicicleta di noleggio e apparteneva all'hotel. Questo l'ho discusso con il ricezionista fino al momento che mi sono svegliato.

Non so perché abbia sognato precisamente in itаliano - il mio prossimo viaggio va a Madeira dove si parla portoghese. Ma la stazione aveva qualche tratto in commune con la Stazione Centrale di Milano. Esso potrebbe essere la ragione per identificare tutto il luogo come itаliano, e perciò ho parlato itаliano a tutti nel sogno.

Edited by Iversen on 21 February 2013 at 1:41pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6453 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 3191 of 3959
22 February 2013 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday I spent most of the evening in my armchair doing text copies in my armchair. Just to recapitulate what I mean by 'doing text copies': in a number of languages I'm not nearly advanced enough to read a text fluently, even with a translation. In others I could do it, but then I wouldn't notice the grammar of the text, and I would be seriously tempted to skip a great part of the unknown words and expressions. The cure against this is to copy the text by hand while looking words and maybe grammatical things up (for instance by looking at my green grammar sheets, which I keep on a note stand beside my chair). This way I don't get through much actual text, but the number of new words on my paper afterwards is an excellent yardstick for how much new knowledge I really can acccumulate during a certain time period. With intensive study of the kind I described this will probably more than I would retain from the same time period spent on extensive reading or listening - insofar I knew the language well enough to do those things extensively. And I can switch to just notating the most interesting things as I get better, but copying a genuine text while you make sure that you understand it is still an effective way to force you to concentrate.

I read/studied/copied 1) the section about the trip in the flying car from Harrius Potter II in Latin, 2) the section on Medieval/Middle Irish in the Irish history article I have mentioned earlier, 3) some quotes from Greek newspapers about the economy, 4) a thing in Russian about world view and language and the one I'll write about here: 5) the section in my trusty guide to Singapore which deals with the Bird Park there, which I have visited several times. So here goes...

BA I: Saya telah mengunjungi taman burung di Jurong setiap kali saya telah mengunjungi Singapura. sekali mulai berhujan tropis ketika aku baru saja masuk ke dalam taman. Semua lainnya bergegas keluar, tapi saya menggunakan payung saya dan menikmati perjalanan melalui taman yang hampir sepi. Lain kali cuaca telah baik. Ada kira-kira 600 jenis burung dalam taman, dan - malu - saya tidak tahu semua nama-nama spesies, bahkan tidak dalam bahasa Inggris, tetapi tidak terutama dalam Bahasa Indonesia atau Melayu. Banyak spesies yang dikelompokkan berdasarkan kekerabatan. Misalnya, seluas dua puluh atau tiga puluh spesies rangkong dan di tempat lain, tidak ada tapi burung bayan-bayan di ratusan. Namun, ada juga tempat-tempat yang ditentukan secara geografis - seperti bangunan kaca besar dengan air terjun Afrika. Anda bisa mendapatkan ke taman burung dengan bus khusus dari stasiun metro Boon Lai. Anda juga dapat berjalan sedikit terakhir, tapi itu tidak sangat menarik. Bahkan ada telah sebuah peternakan buaya di sebelah taman burung, tapi itu ditutup sekarang. Sebelum saya datang untuk melihatnya - boo!

GE: Ich habe übrigens auch einmal Walsrode Vogelpark in Deutschland besucht. Es ist unklar wer von den beiden der größte Vogelpark der Welt ist, aber beide sind sehr empfehlungswert, und man sollte natürlich beide besuchen.

Edited by Iversen on 24 February 2013 at 10:53pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6453 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 3192 of 3959
24 February 2013 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
I have spent Friday evening and Saturday transferring travel articles from the magazine of my travel club to our new homepage, and while doing this I have mostly listened to music and watched TV ind Danish and English. Not good for my language studies, but hopefully something which will be appreciated by the members of the club.

But today I have been studying.

GE: Im Moment gucke ich deutsches Fernsehen - mit der Dame, die rund um in verschiedenen Teilen von Deutschland auf seinem Fahrrad fährt und dabei tatsächlich ganz interessante Sendungen macht. Dieses Mal ist es das Osnabrücker Land, wo man augenscheinlich Kartoffelsaft trinken kann. Gerade jetzt spricht sie mit einem Metallkünstler der ohne Visier schweißt - aber dabei schließt er seine Augen, und deshalb ist er noch nicht blind..

FR: D'ailleurs on peut en ce moment suivre un course à chiens pour des aveugles (pas les chiens, les humains évidemment). Or ce programme est en anglais - et je vois beaucoup trop de télé en anglais. Aujourd'hui, j'ai vu, par exemple, quelques programmes avec tourisme extrême au Canada sur Explorer, et nous avons eu une fois de plus l'histoire de la conquête britannique de la ville fortifiée de Québec. Le général Anglais Wolfe a trouvé une route par laquelle on pouvait grimper jusqu'au Champs d'Abraham. Un soldat Français a vu les Anglais très tôt dans le matin et il a reveillé le général Montcalm, qui pourtant a réfusé croire le pauvre gardien - et seulement après une autre uniquement après un nouveau message a-t-il mobilisé l'armée française. Donc Québec - et toute la province - est tombé au Anglais. Et si les Anglais n'avaient pas eu besoin de la loyauté des francophones contre les armées des États-Unis nouveau-nés ils auraient peut-être pu éradiquer la culture et language française de Québec. En effet les francophones au Louisiana sont des réfugiés du Canada.

ES: Antes esto he visto un programa en TVE con científicos y marineros a bordo del buque de investigación Malaspina, que dio la vuelta al mundo durante sei o siete meses. He visto tantos programas de este genero que los partecipantes parecieron casi como enviados del espacio cuando hablaban español. Una observación: los cientificos no hablaban mucho sopra las perspectivas cientificas de su trabajo, lo cual es un poco sorprendente porque su razón para ir en un tal expedición debe ser hacer ciencia. Pero para mi como estudiante de idiomas fue una emisión bastante util porque la gente hablaban mucho y la música por una vez no estaba seriamente terrible. Más tarde he visto otro programa en la seria Españoles por el Mundo, con españoles que viván en San Diego y otros lugares en los Estados Unidos.

IT: E finalmente ho guardato le notizie in Italiano - senza la parte politica (dove la campagna ellettorale sta diventando sempre più surreale). Ho visto l'ultimo discorso del papa alla gente che stavano nella Piazza San Pietro, e ho visto anche che c'è ora un anello di ferro 'rosso' con super-sicurezza intorno di tutta l'area del Vaticano. I prezzi degli alberghi sono aumentati a doppia nella città - por fortuna ci sono stato qualche anno fa e non necesito anderci. E poi ci erano raporti di neve forte in per esempio Liguria e Toscana - ma ho visto Roma e il Vaticano senza neve.

I have watched TV, of course: German TV with a lady on bicycle who visits area after area and makes quite good programs about her experiences - which in this case included a visit to museum curators, a metal artist who welded his works with closed eyes and a person who served potato juice. Germany has apparently its share of excentrics. Most of the afternoon I watched programs in English, including several programs about extreme tourism in Canada - including a visit to the town Québec, where we got the history about its conquest. The English general Wolfe had found a way to get his army up to the Heights of Abraham. A guard reported this to the French general Montcalm who refuses to believe it. Only after one more report did he mobilise, and then it was too late. This battle could have changed Québec to one more Anglophone state in the later Canada after suitable pressure and repression (after all the Francophone Acadians in Louisiana were driven out of Canada), but ironically it was the rebellion in the United States which 'saved' the French - they pledged support for the English in that fight in return for the right to continue speaking French. Sometimes history is decided by random coincidences rather than logic.

I also watched a Spanish program about the 'Expedición Malaspina', which refer to a ship which has sailed around on the seas for 6-7 months with around forty scientist (to be exchanged for other during the period) and a large crew. At one point it struck me that watching people speak Spanish in such a program was like watching beings from outer spaces - most programs of this type are in English. Besides I would have liked some more details about the research done - but otherwise it was a good program with lots of talk and not too much disgusting music. Later I watched some of a program in the series about Spaniards in the World (this time from San Diego and other places in the US), and in between I watched the news from Italy. Strangely enough I didn't see anything about the upcoming elections, but a lot about the (probably) last public speech by the pope and a lot about heavy snowfall in several parts of the country.

And in this moment I am watching an Anglophone program about sasquatch research (i.e. searching for bigfoot). Which means people walking around two and two in a dark Alaskan wood full of well-documented bears while photographing with night vision equipment and listening for strange sounds.

And my own studies? OK, mostly Russian and some Irish.

Edited by Iversen on 25 February 2013 at 12:03am

This discussion contains 3959 messages over 495 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version