Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Iversen’s Multiconfused Log (see p.1!)

Tags: Multilingual
 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
3959 messages over 495 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 224 ... 494 495 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6453 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 1785 of 3959
19 April 2010 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
GER: Ein Bissel deutsches Fernsehen. Zuerst gab es eine Reportage vom Engelhartsberg in der Schweiz, wo die guten Leute irgendwann beschlossen haben, ihres Städtchen auf dem Gipfel eines Hügels ohne Wasser zu bauen. So wenn daß Regenwasser alle is, müßten sie früher das Wasser 100 m in der höhe tragen. Jetzt gibt es glücklicherweise eine Pumpe im Thal, aber die Engelhartsbergenser lieben immer noch ihre Quelle dort 'runten, und jedes Ostern feiern sie sie, indem sie eine immense Dekoration von Ostereier dort kreieren. Leider haben sie nicht viel Schwiizertüütsch gesprochen während der Sendung, nur ein Bißchen auf ihren 'r's gerrrolt. Danach gab es Sendungen über dem Jochenthal nahe Passau, wo es offensichtlich so mit Schlangen und Echsen vörmlich wimmelt: Ringelnatter, Eschulapnatter, Schlingnatter, Smaragdechsen und noch mehr Arten wurden erwähnt (und über alles schwebt der Bussard). Schließlich etwas über Kormorane und andere Wasservögel auf und nahe dem Isar, - und ich habe zufällig die Deutsche Untertexte auf der Seite 150 gefunden - ich brauchte sie nicht, aber schön zu wissen das so was existiert darunten..

DA: Vores tur til Løveparken ved Givskud var også vellykket, men havde ikke noget sprogligt islæt (udover dansk og diverse lyde fra dyrene).

SW: Söndag morgon steg jag också upp tidigt eftersom jag skulle till Köpenhamn. Och jag hade således möjlighet att se ett utmärkt program från "Kunskapskanalen" (på SV2) om epigenetik. Detta är en ny gren inom biologin där man studerar de genetiska mekanismer som på något sätt kompletterar arv genom DNA. Till exempel har vi typiskt två gener av varje slag - men det finns exempel på mekanismer som endast tillåter en sats gener att vara aktiv. Det verkar också vara mekanismer som förknippas med små bitar av fri RNA. Och de nämnde också en möjlighet som jag faktisk har nämnt här, nämligen att vanliga celler från vuxna kan föras tillbaka till ett stadium som odifferentierade stamceller, som till exempel kan användas för att återställa kroppsdelar eller hjärnceller. Ja, även hjärnceller! Vi fick höra om ett experiment där en Thomas Wobrock uppenbarligen lyckats med att bilda nya celler i hippocampus hos forsökspersoner med sådanne stamcell. Där ryckte minnepillrer et jätteskritt närmare! Det var en annan sak som jag gillade mycket: det var intervjuade forskare från många länder och de fik alla tala sitt eget språk (med svenska undertexter). Därför hörde jag växelvis svenska, holländska, tyska, engelska, spanska och franska.

IC: Í Kaupmannahöfn heyrði ég fyrirlestur um japanska eldfjöllum í ferðamenn-klúbbinn minn - og við gátum augljóslega einnig heyrð á íslenskum eldgósum. Og í eitt svona ferðalag er augljóslega mjög áhyggjuefni að heyra að flugvöllurinn má vera í lokuðu um nokkurt skeið enn, ef Eyjafjalla haldar áfram að spýja ut ösku.

-------

Saturday I went with my family to a Safaripark i Jutland (the 'Lionpark' at Givskud), so I had to get up early. In fact I got up much too earlier, so I had time to watch TV. Most of the stuff they send in the morning is strictly for children, but I fuind a string of fine nature/culture programs from German TV channels. For instance something about a small town Engelhartsberg in Switzerland, which is placed on top of a hill without water. So earlier the inhabitants relied on rainwater, and when that ran out that had to carry water 100 up from the valley. Now they have a pump, but they are so happy about their well that they make a big decoration around it each Easter with hundreds of painted eggs. After something about a reptile rich valley near Passau (a German town near the border to Austria), and finally something about birds on the Isar (the river that flows through Munchen (Munich)).

After that we went to the Lionpark.

Sunday I had to go to Copenhagen, so I got once again up earlier than planned, and this time I saw a splendid program on Swedish TV, an educational program about 'epigenetics', which is a new brach of biology which studies the genetic mechanismes beyond DNA. One thing they told about has also been mentioned here: the possibility of letting cells from adult humans develop 'backwards' into undifferentiated stemcells. On German scientist has apparently been able to use stemcells to induce the production of new braincells in the hippocampus area in the brain, which is a key center for our memory. This sound like 'memory pills' have come quite a lot closer. Apart from that they spoke about multicoloured flowers and diabetes and other things. And this program was also excellent in another way: it featured scientists from many countries, and they all spoke their own language (with Swedish undertitles): Swedish, Dutch, German, English, French and Spanish.

I primarily went to Copenhagen for a meeting in our travel club (where the thought of closed airports looms large and terrifying), and the theme for the lecture this time was appropriately enough the Japanese volcanoes with a member who is a volcano expert (this was actually arranged long before the present troubles). And the Icelandic volcanoes were of cause also mentioned.

Edited by Iversen on 26 May 2010 at 1:17am

1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5597 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 1786 of 3959
19 April 2010 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
IC: I wrote some time ago that Iceland was one of the few places, hvor a volcanic eruption would be seen as a minor incident compared to the economical situation. Since then the volcano at Eyjafjallajökull has spewed out a cloud of ash that has moved with the wind to Europe. The Danish airports have been closed today, and I have heard that even the airports of London suspended their flights. Well, Eyjafjallajökull has a larger neighbour, Katla, which historically have had a tendency to erupt in conjunction with those of the smaller one. So far it has been quiet there, but nobody can predict whether this will last.

The most renowned volcano on Iceland is called Hekla, but it was Laki that produced the worst eruption ever: it lasted from 8. June 1783 to February 1784, 200 mio tons of sulfuric acid was pumped into the atmosphere, the lava streamed from a 25 km long fissure and cobvered at the end 565 km2, and a quarter of the population of the Island died. We can hope that it won't be as dramatic this time.

Iversen, I am very interested in the topic of the volcanos on Iceland. There is not enough info about this on German TV, because all the focus is on the cancellation of the flights caused by the ash cloud. So thank you for giving background knowlegde on which important volcanos there are on Iceland (out of 30 as I read) and what the major and most recent eruptions were. I have my special problems with the memorization of the name of ~ Ejakjöll and was happy to get an explanation of this name in the other forum. I don't don't have any feeling of the Icelandic language, therefore I am struggling so hard with such a name. You would have the same problem with a relatively long Turkish word, I guess. In the development of the volcano topic, if you would like to share some infos, I will read this with interest. You may also write about this in another interesting language, if you like.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 19 April 2010 at 8:51pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6453 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 1787 of 3959
19 April 2010 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
I'll try to do that tomorrow, but I have to study now

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5597 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 1788 of 3959
19 April 2010 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I'll try to do that tomorrow, but I have to study now

Bonan studadon! Mi ne studis hodiaux, sed morgaux mi certe volos. Kiam mi skypis kun 4 homoj lastan sabaton, mi auxskultis Torbyrne paroli la danan kun autentika pronuncado kaj mi estis fiera kompreni, kion li diris al mi (sed mi nur kapablis respondi dane 3 vortojn).

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 19 April 2010 at 10:02pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6453 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 1789 of 3959
20 April 2010 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
ESP: Mi ne gustas multe telefonoj, sed hodiaŭ min registris la nova esperanto-forumo de Sprachprofi. Skribi estas OK.

IC: Ástandið í kringum eldfjall gosið er enn óljóst. Sum ríki hafa nú þegar opnað flugvelli sínum, en í Danmörku hafa bara hleypt af prófuflug, sem skýrslaði að loftið nú var hreint nóg fyrir flug. En enn lofthelgi yfir Danmörku (og Þýskaland) lokað. Eldfjallið sprengdi að vísu meira aska út mánudagur, en ekki svo hátt að vindur gæti tekið hana til Evrópu. Katla er enn róleg, en á síðustu þremum sinnum Eyjafell hafa haft eldgos, er Katla fylgt - 920, 1612, 1821-23. Og Katla er hluti af kerfi sem fela í sér a eldfjall sem heitir Eldgjá sem í árið 934 gós stærstu upphæð basalt, sem hefur nokkuð eldfjöll spúið í sögulegu tíma - um 18 km3 hrauninu.

Ég hef lært nokkuð um eldgós Íslands þessa dagana, og einnig um eldgós almennt. Þegar   Þegar hitinn steinefni hækkar upp frá möttul jarðar, setja þeir sig í kviku hólfa einhvers staðar á leiðinni. Þá ákvarða innihald lofttegundir (þ.mt. vatnsgufa) sprengiefni máttur, en innihalið af sílíkatsambönd ákvarðar hversu hraunið se seigt, og svona hvort allt springur í hlutur í einu, eða það rennur smám saman út.

Af 205 viðburðir í sögulegu tíma voru 192 einstaklinga gos og 13 "Sinueldar", sem felaðu í sér tvo eða fleiri gos. Af þeim 192 einstaklingur voru 33 skýrslað of onákvæmt, 124 voru sprengifimir, 14 hreinn gós af hrauni og 21 voru blandaðir. Aska er gjóska ('Tephra') með mjög lítið korn, en ég hef ekki séð tala um hversu mikið ösku mismunandi tegundir eldstöðva gjósu.

EN: I have been reading quite a lot about volcanoes these last days, not least those on Iceland. Katla - the nasty one near EyjaFell - is reported to be quiet so far, but the last three times Eyjafell erupted Katla followed a few months later. And Katla is just one part of af whole system of more or less active volcanoes, - another volcano in the chain is the 'Eldgjá' (= 'fire-chasm'), which spewed out something like 18 km3 lava in 934, shortly after the colonisation of Island by the vikings. What a welcome! But the eruption of Laki (or Skfta) in 1783 was worse because of the fumes.

By the way: the name you see everywhere these days is "Eyjafjallajökull". This actually isn't the volcano itself, but the glacier on top of it. The (rarely used) name Eyjafell (Eyjafjall- in derivations) means Island-mountain, and in one Icelandic source I saw this explained by the fact that it can be seen from the Westmanna islands - well, hard to prove, given that flights to Iceland are suspended right now...

When hot material moves upwards from the mantle of the Earth it fill out enormous magma chambers somewhere, and then it is the enclosed gases that determine the explosive force - but the content of silica determines the consistency, and if a volcano blocks because of the consistency of the lava then it will sooner or later explode. Most volcanoes in Iceland have exploded, but some have just been relatively tranquil effusions of thin lava. Volcanos that are high and conical like the drawings are called stratovolcanoes ("Eldkeila" in Icelandic). Hekla is a stratovolcano, though a rather flat one, but most icelandic volcanoes are flat, and then they are called shield volcanoes.

Apart from that I finished reading Bjowulf yesterday, and today I have been studying the historical background for this Anglosaxon poem. Most of the peoples mentioned in the poem have been identified: the Danes, the Finns, the Frisians and the Swedes. But Beowulf is a Geat, and this has given the scholars some problems. Traditionally and for linguistic reasons you would identify 'geat' with Swedish 'göter' (Old Norse 'gautar'), i.e. people from the area known as Götaland (Göteborg is the main city in that area now, but it was founded as late as 1621). However Beowuld was ostensibly buried in a mound close to the sea in a place with 'whales' (porpoises?), and there is a theory that the location could be Gotland. Jordanes refers to Gautigoths ('Geat-goths'= Westgoths?), Ostrogoths and Vagoths. and the latter group could possibly live on Gotland. In Beowulf it is just stated that they live to the East of the Danes and presumably close to the Swedes.

Edited by Iversen on 22 April 2010 at 2:24pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6453 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 1790 of 3959
22 April 2010 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
FR: Hier j'ai d'abord écouté la musique du compositeur russe A. Scriabine pendant quelques heures: la deuxième symphonie, le Poème Divin et le Poème de l'Extase, mais surtout des oeuvres pour le piano: les sonates no. 2 à 10, les 24 Préludes op. 11 et autres. Les premières oeuvres de cet excentrique musical était écrites dans un style romantique mesuré et tonale, mais elles deviennent de plus en plus exaltées, fragmentaires, compliquées rytmiquement et en ce qui concerne la tonalité. On ne perd pas les sens d'un centre tonal, mais les harmonies ne sont pas exactement ceux qu'on trouve dans les manuels d'harmonique. En effet il a inventé un accord personnel auquel il a attribué des characthéristiques quasi-religieuses, et il a utilisé cet accord comme le fondement de toute son oeuvre tardive. Ce qui, bien sûr, reflète la philosophie de plus en plus délirante du compositeur. Scriabin est mort en 1915, et peut-être c'était la meilleure chose pour lui. Il est difficile de voir comment il aurait pu s'intégrer dans la vie musicale sous Staline.

---

Et pourquoi écrire ceci en français? Très simple: tous les noms des aures sone en français, et il en est de même avec les indications d'éxécution pour les musiciens -tout en français.

Yesterday I have listened for several hours to the music of the Russian composer Scriabin: several orchestral works and a lont of piano music, including all sonata except the first, 24 preludes op. 11 and some other works. In the oldest works we hear a romanticists, but one who still wrote in classical, welldefined pattern with a normal harmony. But as time goes by he develops a style where rhythm and tonality more and more are dissolved in a shimmering web of tones. Instead the music is structured through melodic mannerisms (ascending lines with an extatic resolution), a harmony built around a complicated chord which he treated almost as a divine thing and a rhythm that eschews everything square and simple - which of course makes it difficult to play. On Youtube you can hear the Etude op. 8 no. 12 in at least 20-30 recordings with different pianists, and the reason it obviously that is a work that really tests their prowess. Scriabin died in 1915, and maybe it was just as well - it is difficult to see how he could have fitted into the musical life under Stalin.

Edited by Iversen on 22 April 2010 at 2:54pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6453 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 1791 of 3959
22 April 2010 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
ahem ... I have made a mistake. You shouldn't call the notorious volcano Eyjafell, because even the Icelanders don't do it. It was just my guess about what the volcano below the ice presumable might be named - and the guess was wrong. I have now checked the facts, and it seems that that Eyjafell is used about an administrative area somewhere, while Eyjafjöll is used about the volcano - so it is better to say Eyjafjöll (pronounced like 'eyjafjödl').

However while researching the true name of the darned thing I stumpled over an article at the homepage of RUV about the problems that foreigners have had with the pronunciation of the glacier-upon-the-volcano-(near-the)-islands - Eyjafjallajökull. The title is Eyjafjw¡xzq!.. ¿hvað?.

Hobbema
United States
Joined 5491 days ago

541 posts - 575 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, French, Dutch

Message 1792 of 3959
23 April 2010 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

Yesterday I have listened for several hours to the music of the Russian composer Scriabin: several orchestral works and a lont of piano music, including all sonata except the first, 24 preludes op. 11 and some other works. In the oldest works we hear a romanticists, but one who still wrote in classical, welldefined pattern with a normal harmony. But as time goes by he develops a style where rhythm and tonality more and more are dissolved in a shimmering web of tones. Instead the music is structured through melodic mannerisms (ascending lines with an extatic resolution), a harmony built around a complicated chord which he treated almost as a divine thing and a rhythm that eschews everything square and simple - which of course makes it difficult to play. On Youtube you can hear the Etude op. 8 no. 12 in at least 20-30 recordings with different pianists, and the reason it obviously that is a work that really tests their prowess. Scriabin died in 1915, and maybe it was just as well - it is difficult to see how he could have fitted into the musical life under Stalin.

Dat is interessant, ik weet niet veel van de muziek van Scriabin.

That is interesting, I don't know much of Scriabin's music. I wonder about his development that you mentioned from traditional rhythm and tonality to a style of music that is more (contemporary?)? Scriabin is not alone with this pattern; early Schoenberg has very traditional harmonies, but later he moves into style and techniques which are, if nothing else, controversial. Beethoven everyone assumes as traditionally classical, but his later chamber music leans toward very new things.

And in art. Picasso is definitely non-representational, but some of his earlier works, sketches and such, were very representational and realistic.

So I wonder what so often pushes the great ones from something traditionally accepted into styles more controversial.

This discussion contains 3959 messages over 495 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version