1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 313 of 314
27 September 2015 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
I'm here, though I appear to have taken an unplanned 4 month language break. A
combination of being busy at work and spending most of my spare time on other
hobbies led to my active language study being all but abandoned. I've continued
passive activities (TV, music, etc.) as normal in both Korean and Japanese (Spanish is
still on hiatus), but nothing I'd call active study during that time.

I see the board has been having issues again during my absence and wish I could say I
were surprised. I just registered on what I assume is the site everyone here is
referencing (forum.language-learners.org, which is where how-to-learn-any-language.org
redirects).
1 person has voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4585 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 314 of 314
29 September 2015 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
Good to see you back, Warp3. I was away the last month too; new job, lots of studying.
Didn't know the site had issues again. Three members have moved over there (Nieng Zhonghan,
TheRealCZ, and stifa, because of these issues, so if you want to know where they are,
they're over there. And really, I think with the frequency of this outages, it's about time
I start a log there myself, as I don't know how things will turn out.

Misskj, I totally get what you're trying to say. I'm not having difficulty coming up with
things to say, or actually producing Japanese; it's more like, I'm very shy about
initiating a conversation, and my mind goes blank. I have been practicing just talking
about my day to myself daily. I try to talk about new people I meet, how I feel about
things, summarizing the entire day, certain events, or past events, and plans for the
future. Very basic, but I'm gradually stringing longer and more complex sentences. For
instance, if I try to convey a thought, I start of with a very basic, basic sentence, then
I gradually try to add to its level of complexity (add one adjective, then two, turn it
from active to passive, past to present to future, or any combination of these, make it
into a clause, etc.) and keep saying it until it starts feeling and sounding comfortable.
And of course, my penpal gives me pointers every now and then (still got to actually get on
Skype and talk, email works fine for now). It's helping a lot.

Anyway, off to work on that other log at the .org forum. Will keep you updated.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 314 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version