youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4137 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 73 of 314
03 January 2015 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
Just posted my self introduction on my log. Written it in
Mandarin, Japanese, and English (all more or less the same text, just translated).

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 03 January 2015 at 9:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4585 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 74 of 314
04 January 2015 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
自己紹介

皆さん今晩は。そしてあけましておめでとう ございます。
私は、3年前に、日本語を習い始めたけど, 二年間は, 大好きな日本語の勉強をやめている。 本
を読んだり、
テレビを見たりしましたが、 実際に勉強し ま せんでした。 私は今年は、 それを変更し たい   と考え
ています。
日本の文化や人々は私の心の中で特別な場所 を占めている。彼らの文化や考え方をもっと 学びたい。
日本の漫画、 アニメ、演劇(ドラマ)の 大ファンで、 日本のラジオショーを聞いて い る。      
私は日本語をもっと勉強して、 日本人と自 然 に会話できるまでになりたい。
        日本の新聞を 読み 、  TVニユース等 を聞いて   自然に 理解できるようになりたい。    
それゆえ、 今年、 私は上記5つのことに 専念 したい。

Self Introduction

Hello, good evening everyone, and Happy New Year!
I started learning Japanese 3 years ago, but for the past two years, haven't been
doing any studying. I read books and watched TV, but haven't done any actual studying.
I want to change that this year. The Japanese culture and its people hold a special
place in my heart. I want to learn more about their culture and ways. I'm also a big
fan of manga, anime, Jdrama, and listening to Japanese radio shows. I want to advance
in Japanese to the point where I can speak naturally to native speakers, and be able
to read and listen to any form of Japanese media with natural comprehension. Therefore
I intend to dedicate this year to doing just that.

EDIT:My self intro has been posted in my log. The
forum software is really making it hard to post a legible paragraph without garbling
up the characters. :S

EDIT: Thanks a lot for the tip, Ezy Ryder. I appreciate it.

Edited by Woodsei on 04 January 2015 at 4:24am

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4137 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 75 of 314
04 January 2015 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
You can try to add a space (ASCII space, not the Japanese IME space) after every clause. That
could do the trick.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4585 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 76 of 314
04 January 2015 at 7:40am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
你好!这是我的日记: language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39844&PN=1&TPN=1">Wha t Expug is doing in
. 我已经学汉语三年多。可是还不能说,也不能 说。我是巴西人三十年岁。我结婚了。我很
想 我们在这儿的中文越来越多,因为我不太喜欢 韩语,也不太喜欢日语。加油,朋友们!

Hello! TID=39844&PN=1&TPN=1">This is my log. I've already been studying Chinese for over
three years, but I still can't speak it.I am Brazilian, 30 y.o. I'm married. I really
wish we can write more and more Chinese here, because I don't like Korean or Japanese
much. GO ahead, friends!

So great to finally see you over here, Expugnator. Hopefully more Mandarin learners
would be actively participating and sharing their progress and resources. And Mandarin
is a language I'll want to learn, so I'm sure I'll learn a lot from you guys.

@Warp3 and Sooniye: Thanks for pitching in your support!

On another note, the January Tadoku reading contest is up and running, so, for those
of you who enjoy extensive reading, or reading in general, you might want to check it
out. Here's the link to the bot on Twitter.

Edited by Woodsei on 04 January 2015 at 7:47am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 77 of 314
04 January 2015 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
I've noticed that at least a couple members of these team have mentioned
JapanesePod101 in their logs. For those members, I have some questions:

- What are your thoughts on this series and would you recommend it?
- Are you using the paid functions or just the free downloads?
- For those who have also used Talk To Me In Korean's grammar podcasts are they
somewhat similar to those?
- Are there other Japanese learner podcasts that you would recommend in addition to or
instead of JapanesePod101?

Since finishing Pimsleur, my morning commute has been freed up again so I've reverted
to listening to music (Korean and Japanese, of course) like I do in the afternoon
commute. However, I'm not averse to the idea of adding language learning back to my
morning commute, especially if it is in the form of an entertaining podcast.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5770 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 78 of 314
04 January 2015 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
I can at least answer your first two questions.

Warp3 wrote:

I would definitely recommend the series. It's even better if you get hold of the pdf lesson notes and dialogue only tracks which can be used for shadowing or just revision.

Warp3 wrote:

For the price of one month's premium membership I downloaded what I wanted from the back catalogue with iTunes. Given the range and volume of material, I think it was very much worth the money. I'm not interested in any of the other paid for functions on the website, as I have plenty of other free tools to do the same job (like Anki!)
3 persons have voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5670 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 79 of 314
04 January 2015 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:

I'd recommend it, but I'm not the biggest fan either. Don't sign up on their website using your main e-mail address. They send out e-mails like crazy.

One of the main reasons I keep using it is because I've yet to find a good alternative for it. Assimil is fine, but I like to use a lot of dialogs and there just doesn't seem to be that many good dialog-based resources for Japanese. I've heard bad things about popular courses like Teach Yourself, Colloquial, etc. People talk up LL: Ultimate Japanese Advanced (which I have but haven't used), but it's all romaji. I might try it out something this year, though.

Quote:

The only thing I used my subscription for are in the PDFs (provides translation and grammar explanation) and dialog tracks (both need paid subscription). I did what g-bod did, paid a subscription and downloaded what I could.

However, if you don't mind the work, you can use Audacity (or other audio editing software) to create your own dialog tracks and just simply write out the translation if you want/need it. The lessons themselves are mostly "okay", but if you're looking for something to listen to while driving, they are good enough.

I don't listen to the lessons anymore. I just use the dialogs along with the PDFs (I use them the same way I use Assimil)

As for the PDFs, some seasons they are practically worthless, in some seasons they have a lot of content so they can be hit or miss. But if you have grammar textbooks or other resources providing grammar explanations and sample sentences, then you don't need them.

Quote:
- For those who have also used Talk To Me In Korean's grammar podcasts are they
somewhat similar to those?

Sorta. Each lesson focuses on a dialog and then the lesson will explain most of the dialog (anything that isn't too advanced for the level). They will focus a bit on a specific grammar point or word usage, but usually don't get too deep into it.

Edited by sabotai on 04 January 2015 at 7:22pm

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4585 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 80 of 314
04 January 2015 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
@Warp3: g-bod and sabotai just said what I was going to recommend, too. If you don't
mind hearing them explain the whole dialogue, and joke around a bit, it would probably
be beneficial. Get a one month subscription (the basic one gives you access to the
main podcasts, dialogue-only tracks, and pdfs, which is all you need, really) and
download them. If you really need the explanations and don't want to be reading the
pdfs all the time (driving to work, etc.) then listen to the main track, because they
supply the translation, vocabulary, grammar point, and some cultural/language
references in it all. Be warned, though, the beginner seasons have a fair amount of
English in them to explain the whole thing, understandably, so if that turns you off,
use the dialogue-only track. If not, then you're fine. They'll start going into more
Japanese in the intermediate levels, and actually listening to them explain stuff in
Japanese is pretty neat. However the main track takes anywhere between 12 minutes up
to 20-something minutes, while listening to the dialogue only takes you a minute and a
half at the most (2-3 I think with the advanced audioblog) and then you can read the
pdf.

The lesson quality, well, from those that I've heard, the language is the closest I've
seen to natural spoken speech than any other Japanese course on the market. I could be
wrong. But when you watch drama or anime for instance, you won't be in for a rude
awakening. They provide informal dialogues to a lot of the formal ones, so they show
you how speech can be contracted, as in colloquial speech. They speak at a natural
speed, especially starting at the intermediate levels, but not of course variety show-
type speeds (you'd still have to adapt to a learning curve there) but I think they do
a good job of helping you get to a good point of functioning well on your own.

The only downside that I have with them, really, is the sheer amount of tracks they
have, which would take me forever to go through. But as has been mentioned by g-bod
and sabotai, doing the dialogue-only tracks and reading the pdfs as you go along, like
Assimil, or LR (same, but you do a whole bunch of them in a row without stopping) then
that would save you significant time, and you do get exposed to a lot of high
frequency, natural vocabulary.

It doesn't replace native material, however, but it can definitely support you if you
use it in conjunction with real TV/video/podcasts/music/etc.

I wouldn't recommend any additional podcasts, really, Jpod is that comprehensive. Use
it in conjunction with native material.

I haven't tried TTMIK extensively (just a couple, I guess) but I think the format and
type of content is somewhat similar. I believe a lot of the hosts have been at Korean
Class 101 before that.

Edited by Woodsei on 04 January 2015 at 7:59pm

This discussion contains 314 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version