United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4557 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 257 of 314
07 April 2015 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
I managed to keep up with a pace of 100 pages/day for two weeks, and then I hit a
roadblock, and really failed my challenge the second half of the month, so I'm calling
it an overall flop. It's not because of lack of motivation, more like lack of time. I
should make more realistic goals next time.

I really apologize for not showing up as frequently lately. I'll try to at least be
there regularly, and I hate to see the thread die. So make sure to pop in with any
comments.

If anyone is up for an April challenge, I was thinking of picking a topic and writing
about it, the same way we did our intro challenge back in January. At least it'll be
measurable, and not too infinite that it would fail. What would you like to write
about? A personal anecdote? Funny/weird/sad/surprising/inspiring situation? A favorite
hobby or thing? A mini story? Something factual or relevant to the culture of the
language being studied? Let me know.

I'll post a list soon of the March participants with their results, as soon as
everyone has posted their March results. Also, and I know I should be monitoring this,
but if anyone has been on any challenge here on the forum, let me know. I'll get back
in the swing of things in June, when my exams will hopefully all be over. I'll be here
of course, but not multiple times a day, more like every few days. So please bear with
me until June.

Also, I was thinking, maybe we should all pick a topic relevant to the
language/culture we're studying, and have monthly discussions on it. It could be a
language construction/vocab/grammar, book recommendations and summaries, movies/TV,
music, etc. It could also be about the culture. And we can always discuss some of
these things in the target language as a way of practicing our output. I know it's
vague, and you guys may have better ideas. I'd love to keep the discussions going, and
the team members coming together is always a great thing. So let me know your thoughts
on this.

Ok, I'll check in soon.

Edited by Woodsei on 07 April 2015 at 11:04pm

1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5742 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 258 of 314
07 April 2015 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
My own 100 challenge for the month was a very rapid flop, although it was successful at least in demonstrating to me that, right now, my head is not in the right place for more Japanese vocab study.

I would definitely be up for a writing challenge, I think it would be good for me to get creative in Japanese for once. But since we are already a week late in setting the challenge, how about we extend it into May?

Nieng Zhonghan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Antarctica
Joined 3431 days ago

108 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Japanese*, Spanish, Galician
Studies: Finnish, Icelandic, Armenian, Mongolian
Studies: Old English, Russian, English, German, Korean, Mandarin

Message 259 of 314
09 April 2015 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
I have successfully completed my March challenges.

Korean

On “active” task

I have shadowed 100 sentences taken from a book designed for that purpose.

On totally passive task

Reviewed 100 flashcards every week from my own TTMICK deck and the Evita’s one. I
reviewed 400 cards from my own deck and another 400 from Evita’s.

I think I should drop SRS as soon as I finish Evita's deck. It is great, though I
prefer other techniques.

Chinese

On active task

I wrote short texts whose total number reached at least 100 characters based on my HSK
books’ words and grammar topics I wanted to review. I also have written a full 100
character text about my daily routine. Somehow it has not appeared here on HTLAL or it
was deleted due to the server maintenance during the first or second week of March.
Unfortunately I haven’t made any backup here, but next time I will save it. Never
mind.

I also managed to do shadowing with the audio of HSK 3 book. I took 240 random
sentences or dialogues to make sure I still remember the correct usage, meaning, tones
(as most of times I remember the syllables accurately).

On passive task

I have compiled a deck on Anki containing A1 and A2 level (totally biased since it is
based on CEFR) grammar topics with sentences. It contains about 100 flashcards which I
finished at the end of last month.

I also created a TOCFL 1 and TOCFL2 decks containing words and expressions taken from
Taiwanese proficiency textbook. It contains about 800 decks and I managed to finish
both of them within a week.

Edited by Nieng Zhonghan on 09 April 2015 at 2:56pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4557 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 260 of 314
09 April 2015 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
@Nieng Zhonghan: You're amazing :) I should take a page from your book and set
realistic goals, not be too overambitious. Though to be fair, the big goal pushed me
some to maintain my pace for half the month, which is actually an accomplishment
considering how I tend to slack off. Oh well. I wish I'd kept that pace for the second
half of March rather than the first. My Tadoku scores are woefully low.

I agree, g-bod, that extending the challenge to include May would be fair. However, we
can make it longer, since we'll technically have over a month and a half. So, instead
of 3-6 sentences for beginners, we can move them up to say, 8-10. Intermediates: 10-20
or 10-15 sentences, and they could be in paragraph format. Advanced: I guess I should
say "write as much as you can!" but I think 20-30 sentences would be fair. What do you
guys think?

About the topic, I'm still mulling over that one, but I will post back tonight with a
few ideas for starters. Feel free y'all to leave your suggestions, too.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5625 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 261 of 314
19 April 2015 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
Btw, i know i'm not an official team member, but i still wanted to share that i've finally finished Pleco's New HSK 6 deck, a total of 5006 cards plus another 500 or so other cards i've added throughout the past year. I've been waiting for this moment since i started studying Mandarin over 3 years ago, and i'm finally there! There's still a long way for me to go before i really feel comfortable in Mandarin, but i feel like this is the year!

Keep up the studies and good work everyone!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 262 of 314
19 April 2015 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
Cross post from my language log:

I'm now 3 weeks into the 13 weeks of Q2 and am convinced that my goals are simply set too high for the time I have available. In fact, I often
find myself "giving up" on certain weekly goals on Saturday because they aren't reachable for the current week. Also I'm finding myself out of
the house more lately making some of these even harder to reach. Based on what I've proved is viable based on the past 3 weeks, I am thus
revising my goals as follows:

Goal K1: Active Study
Old Goal: 65 hrs (average of 5 hrs/week)
New Goal: 45 hrs (average of about 3.5 hrs/week, roughly 30 min/day)

Goal K2: Immersion
Old Goal: 156 hrs (average of 12 hrs/week)
New Goal: 130 hrs (average of 10 hrs/week)

Goal J1: Active Study
Old Goal: 26 hrs (average of 2 hrs/week)
New Goal: 22 hrs (average of about 1.7 hr/week, roughly 15 min/day)

Goal J2: Immersion
Old Goal: 52 hrs (average of 4 hrs/week)
New Goal: no change

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4557 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 263 of 314
01 May 2015 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
Hi folks,

Still here, and the team thread is still active, so don't disappear, keep updating,
and pop in and let me know how you guys are doing study-wise and whatnot. I owe you
all a big apology for not maintaining the thread frequently, and for those of you who
have sent me questions that I have yet to answer. I'll do my best to get around to
them, so please bear with me. I'm not updating my log because, as you may guess, I'm
too busy hitting the books. I'll get back in the wing of things once my test is over.
I should probably post a little update over there as well. One more month.

Anyway, for the team challenge that I should have posted well over 3 weeks ago, I'll
post it now, and make it our combined April/May challenge. I thought I'd use a writing
prompt as a monthly challenge, just to change things up a bit. Very similar to writing
prompts we used to get in school, or as a part of a writer's activity, but for
languages.

So here you go. I am listing 3 choices, and you can take your pick. Beginners 3-6
sentences, intermediates 6-10, and advanced 10-20.

1. If you were a hero, you would......

2. Write about a childhood memento, or something that you remember vividly and are
attached to. It could also be food.

3. A cat, a painting, and a wardrobe. Yes, really. I used to use those wacky prompts
back in school to make up a story or essay, and it was a lot of fun, especially when
doing it together with friends. We used to write the craziest things :) So anyway,
whatever comes to mind, that has all three together, and would make some sort of
coherent story, would be good.

We can also offer each other pointers and corrections in our respective languages. You
have the choice of either posting them here, or on your own logs, but if you do choose
the latter, just post a link here so we can all read it :)

Let me know if you'll be doing the challenge. Hoping to here from you soon!

2 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4557 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 264 of 314
01 May 2015 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
@Crush: This is a bit late, but, you're always welcome to contribute here and post
your achievements, since we're all doing this East Asian languages thing :)
Congratulations! That's certainly an achievement, so keep it up! Good to hear from
you, too:)

Ok, so here's the long overdue list for the March challenge results.

Participants and Achievements

1. Woodsei: Only half the challenge completed. Which means not completed :S I blame my
boards.
2. Warp3: Not completed.
3. g-bod: Not completed.
4. stifa: Not completed.
5. Ezy ryder: Not completed.
6. Nieng Zhonghan: Completed! Congratulations :)
7. Expugnator: Completed. Congrats!

The goal was vague, and most of us didn't succeed, so I'll post more specific,
targeted goals for the upcoming months, like the above one.

For everyone who participated, though, regardless of the results, thanks for making
the effort, and I'm sure we all did learn a little bit more. Let's all keep it up.

If I've missed anyone in the above list, let me know, and I'll update it.

Edited by Woodsei on 01 May 2015 at 4:43pm

This discussion contains 314 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version