United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 249 of 314
22 March 2015 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
Speaking of grammar constructions, I generally use this site for grammar lookups:
http://www.koreangrammaticalforms.com/

3 persons have voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4137 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 250 of 314
28 March 2015 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
I just translated Herman's Hermits' version of "I'm Henry VIII" into Chinese. Could
memorizing the corrected lyrics count for the (long overdue) February challenge?
1 person has voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4585 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 251 of 314
29 March 2015 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
@Ezy Ryder: Since it's directly in your TL, any learning you do counts!

I really apologize, guys, for the lack of updates. I'm still plugging away at the March
challenge, but it's been getting significantly more difficult to keep it up, as my exams
are approaching, and I'm in panic mode a lot of the time now. Anyway, Just wanted to tell
you to keep at it, and let me know before the month is up how you guys have been doing
with our challenge! I'll also try to pop in on your threads as soon as I can.

Also, did anyone here participate in the last 6 week challenge, or the current Tadoku?

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 252 of 314
29 March 2015 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Copy/paste from my weekly log update:
I'm calling an overall failure on my Team 東亞 March challenge. I ended this week with only 15 minutes read in each
language, all of which was done last Sunday. I just can't seem to motivate myself to read during the week and having to
play catch up every Saturday was getting tiring. Technically there are 3 more days left in the challenge period, but I'd
rather just call this one and await the next team challenge.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 253 of 314
29 March 2015 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Sorry for the double post, but It's also time for me to change quarters in my TAC goals, so it seems appropriate to post my recap and new goals
here:

TAC 2015 Q1 Recap

Korean:

Goal K1: Watch Unsubbed Video (91 videos)
Result = Partial Success (70 videos watched)

While this goal did increase the amount of unsubbed Korean video I watched, which was the point of the goal, it also had the somewhat
unplanned side-effect of reducing the overall amount of Korean video I watched by forcing the unsubbed requirement. In addition, since I was
counting shows, not time, it was a bit demotivating compared to the Japanese video challenge which usually involved shorter videos. Were I to
do this goal again, I would make two changes: a) the goal would be time based, not "video count" based and b) the goal would encourage
unsubbed video (perhaps via a multiplier) but would still count subbed video.

Japanese:

Goal J1: Continue RTK (26 chapters)
Result = Failure (12 chapters)

While it does appear from the numbers that I made it halfway to the goal, nearly all that work was done in the first few weeks (in a push to finish
the RTK Lite pass), then I simply never touched RTK again for the rest of the quarter. Not only did I not continue into my 2nd pass of the book,
but I also stopped reviewing the RTK deck in Anki and simply never started back.

Goal J2: Textbooks (39 lessons)
Result = Failure, but not really (7 lessons)

The reason I consider this "not really a failure" is because I did not stop actively studying Japanese. Had I simply stopped active study
completely, this would have been a solid failure. However it may be better worded that I simply changed methods and started using the JALUP
Beginner deck (which I then turned into its own challenge) instead of textbooks.

Goal J3: Watch Videos (273 videos)
Result = Success (280 videos)

This is the only goal of the group that I almost always met (and often surpassed) every week. In fact, if I hadn't backed off a bit in the past couple
weeks my video count would have been even higher than it was. My weekly average needed to be 21 videos, but due to steadily overshooting the
goal I only had 13 videos left to watch in the final week to reach my goal (and still watched 20).

Goal J4: JALUP Beginner (1000 cards)
Result = Partial Success (836 cards)

This goal was a late addition and more or less replaced my textbook goal (even though that wasn't quite the original intent). I started to burn out
on this a bit during the past few weeks which is the only reason I didn't meet the goal as I was completely on target prior to that. I do plan to
finish this deck, but I'm going to continue at a reduced pace rather than the 20/day I was maintaining originally.

---

TAC 2015 Q2 Goals

As stated at the beginning of Q1, I will be shifting my focus language each quarter. As such, Korean will be my primary focus for Q2. I've also
made my goals more "vague" this time so I can be more flexible about how I study, immerse, etc. without torpedoing my own goals in the
process.

Korean:

Now that Korean is back in the hot seat, it's time to make some progress.

Goal K1: Active Study (65 hours)

I couldn't quite decide what method to use to study Korean for Q2. In addition my Q1 textbook goal for Japanese proved that even something as
vague as "textbook" isn't vague enough to allow flexible learning. So instead, all I'm counting here is time. That time can be spent doing Anki
reviews, gold lists, intensive reading (including LingQ), textbooks, translation work, language learning videos, language learning podcasts, etc. As
long as it is active learning time, it counts.

Goal K2: Immersion (156 hours)

This is similar to goal K1, but for less active methods including extensive reading, TV, and listening. Originally I planned to make video watching
its own goal again, but it really made more sense to include it here so I can be more flexible about what immersion methods I use.

I do, however, want to encourage L2 only immersion (as I had planned to do with my video goal), so I'm going to use a 0.5x multiplier for English
subtitles. This subtitle multiplier applies to either subtitled video or to bilingual reading, but only for English. Subtitles in Korean, Japanese,
Spanish, or any other language does not incur any penalty.

One note, however, is that I'm *not* counting generic music listening (e.g. in the car) in this goal. My reason is not for the same reason JALUP
doesn't heavily count music (as he deems music near useless as immersion but I wholeheartedly disagree with that assessment based on my
own experience). The primary reason is that my MP3 player has a mix of Korean, Japanese, and Spanish music (and even a Cantonese song), so
unless I force a specific language for each trip in the car, it is difficult to quantify how much immersion time I had per language. However,
watching music shows still counts as does listening to the "Memorized" genre on my MP3 player which only includes songs that I have
memorized (assuming I skip the sole Japanese song in that genre when doing so).

Japanese

Japanese will be more in the background for Q2, but I don't want to push it too far back since the language is still newer and thus less embedded
than Korean. My goals for Japanese are basically the same as my Korean goals, just with lower goalposts.

Goal J1: Active Study (26 hours)

Same as the K1 goal, but for Japanese. As an incentive to use my K-to-J textbook, use of any Korean-based learning materials will count toward
both K1 and J1 simultaneously.

Goal J2: Immersion (52 hours)

Same as the K2 goal, but for Japanese and with no modifier for subtitles.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4453 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 254 of 314
02 April 2015 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
I'm afraid I've been AWOL for most of the month (well, AWOL from this thread, but my Japanese is still
meandering along!).

I did wonder what I could do 100 of, but I couldn't come up with anything suitable. I certainly couldn't
manage 100 pages read per day (or even per week, as it turns out). 100 daily reviews in Anki didn't seem
much of a challenge and 100 minutes of anything daily is something that I knew I wouldn't manage (unless I
counted 100 minutes of non-audio Japanese I suppose).

Anyway, I wimped out :-( I promise to try harder for April.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4661 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 255 of 314
02 April 2015 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
I didn't finish my goal either, even though it was pretty simple. Anyway, I did write
some Japanese on my log, but that was about my language study, an my goal was to write
about anything but that, but I had no idea what to write...

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4137 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 256 of 314
02 April 2015 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
I failed as well. My goal was to read 100 minutes a day. March might have not been
particularly busy for me, but it was quite stressful, which will be my excuse of choice.
The last few days I've been watching a T-drama with subtitles though. With my listening
comprehension, it pretty much can count as reading, so I hope to make up for March soon
(history likes to repeat, eh?).

This discussion contains 314 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version