forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 65 of 314
29 December 2014 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
TAC 2015 Q1 Goals:

While I am doing the TAC for two languages again this year, I am not going to focus on
both languages at the same time. I will have goals for both languages each time, but one
language will be heavily biased over the other for each quarter. In addition, I'm also
planning to focus on fewer goals at a time with higher goal posts rather than making fairly
minimal progress on a high number of goals.

Also, since I am primarily tracking this on a weekly basis (except for any monthly team
challenges that may appear), I'm considering today the start of my 2015 TAC.

Korean:

Korean is going to be the background language for Q1, not my primary focus. As such I
have only one established goal for this language and the difficulty of this goal is
intentionally minimal.

Goal K1: Watch Unsubbed Video (91 videos)

First I want to clarify that by "unsubbed" I'm only referring to English subtitles (via fan
subs, KBS World subbing, etc.). This distinction is important as Korean music shows and
Korean variety shows have lots of text onscreen, but still count as "unsubbed" for this
goal as long as they are not English subtitled videos. In fact, I would even be fine with
counting videos that are subbed into other language as long as the subtitled language
isn't my native one (ie. English). I also have no issues with counting videos I've watched
previously, including those I've watched with English subtitles.

There are two ulterior side motives behind this goal which makes it a very good goal
choice for me. The first motive is that it will help induce me to start watching music
shows more heavily again since I am far behind on them currently and need to catch back
up. That said, I've also determined that the only way to catch back up anytime soon is to
skip episodes, so I'll likely do that as well (i.e., watching one music show for a given
weekend rather than all three music shows for each given weekend). The second motive
is that it should induce me to start watching Running Man again. I was watching this
show quite heavily back when English subs were available from iSubs, but once their site
all but disappeared, I stopped watching them waiting for the site to return which it never
really did. I continued collecting the unsubbed versions, but that was more for future
rewatching use (as I always try to go unsubbed whenever possible when I rewatch a
show). This goal will make it worthwhile to start watching the unsubbed versions of these
shows instead as a first pass rather than just saving them for later rewatching.

The reason I picked "91" as the goal post is because weekly tracking will be more
convenient than monthly and 13 weeks x 7 days = 91 days for Q1. Thus this will be an
average of 1 unsubbed video per day. At this time I see no reason to dictate video
length (or switch the goal to hours) as this merely makes it more difficult to track the
goal and the only one I hurt by "cheating" at a goal like this is myself anyway.

Japanese:

Japanese is going to be my primary focus language for Q1. While this means I will have
more intensive goals for this language, I am still keeping the goal count low so I can keep
the goal posts for each goal higher than I would be able to otherwise.

Goal J1: Continue RTK (26 chapters)

Finishing RTK1 completely in Q1 is theoretically possible, but would require a much
faster pace than I have been doing them (thus greatly bumping my review counts) and
would reduce the time I can spend on other goals, so I will not attempt that as a single-
quarter goal. Instead my goal will simply be to ensure that I continue progressing at my
current rate. As my current rate is 2 chapters per week (1 on Saturday and 1 on
Sunday), I have set the goal accordingly. As a reminder, I'm doing an RTK Lite pass
followed by a clean up pass, thus my chapter total is effectively doubled over the 56 in
the book.

Goal J2: Textbooks (39 lessons)

I have finished Pimsleur Japanese 1-3 and am nearly done with the RTK Lite pass of
RTK1, so it is time to start on textbooks. My original idea for a goal was to do 1 lesson
per week in each of the 3 textbooks I'm most likely to use (Japanese for Busy People:
Kana Edition, Japanese for Everyone, and 일본어 무작정 따라하기). This would bring me
through lesson 13 of each book for a total of 39 lessons. However, the more I thought
about it setting it to 1 lesson per week per book seemed like a setup for failure since it
doesn't allow me any flexibility should I find myself preferring one textbook source over
another or growing tired of a textbook and stopping use of it. I had a similar issue with
TAC2014 by specifying sources and do not want to repeat that mistake. Thus the goal is
still 39 lessons, but does not specify where those lessons must originate. They can
come from any of those three textbooks, from other textbooks, from online learning
resources, etc. This goal, however, does not include language learning podcasts as
3/week is too easy of a goal for audio-based courses (since I can do those on my
commute unlike textbook or online study).

I expect this goal to be the trickiest of the three as finding time for textbook study has
always been a challenge, but I need to make time for it so I'm stating it as a goal to help
induce that.

Goal J3: Watch Videos (273 videos)

Unlike Korean, I'm still early enough in my Japanese studies that I feel that I still get
plenty of benefit from English subbed media (mostly in the form of vocabulary
acquisition). As such, my goal for Japanese media is merely to watch videos without
requiring them to be unsubbed. However since my language focus is Japanese for Q1 and
because I'm allowing subtitled media, I'm tripling the goal post compared to that of
Korean.

3 persons have voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4655 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 66 of 314
30 December 2014 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
My log

1 person has voted this message useful

Nieng Zhonghan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Antarctica
Joined 3453 days ago

108 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Japanese*, Spanish, Galician
Studies: Finnish, Icelandic, Armenian, Mongolian
Studies: Old English, Russian, English, German, Korean, Mandarin

Message 67 of 314
31 December 2014 at 3:32am | IP Logged 
Woodsei,

I decided to join the Asian team. (Mandarin and Korean).

Here is my log. TID=39571&PN=1&TPN=4">how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/fo rum_posts.asp?
TID=39571&PN=1&TPN=4

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4579 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 68 of 314
31 December 2014 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
@stifa: added :)

@Nieng Zhonghan: Welcome to the team! Glad you'll be with us this year, and I'll be
following your inspiring progress throughout :)

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4579 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 69 of 314
03 January 2015 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
Hello Team!

We're 3 days into the TAC, and I thought I'd come in and check in on everyone.

So, a few notes:

1. Resources Posts: This is a work in progress. You'll be seeing the lists frequently
updated over the next few days, as I have very very little chances to work at the
computer for extended periods, courtesy of work and my never-ending board exams. But
I'm planning to have all of the links in place by the end of this week.

2. Some of you haven't yet supplied their links to their individual logs. Would nice
to hear from you, so that I can add them to the members list, and so that everyone
would have a chance at visiting your logs.

3. Self-intros: I thought, as did a few others, that it would be nice to post intros
of ourselves in the target languages here on the team thread, or we can link to our
logs, if they get posted there. For beginners, 1 or 2 sentences in Japanese would
suffice, and more if you can handle it would be nice, but not required. Intermediates
could write around 6 sentences (is that too low of a scale) and above if they can, but
again, not really a requirement. Advanced learners obviously should write more than
that. Posting an English translation below the intro is also good to help people who
are relative beginners in the language, or are studying a different language,
understand what we've shared about ourselves.

4. Monthly Challenge: We could either consider the above self-introduction as our
first challenge, or decide on a different topic. Since I feel a lot of us are busy,
I'm going with the introduction as the first monthly task. Let me know your thoughts
on this.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 70 of 314
03 January 2015 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
I'm fine with using the target language self-introductions as the January challenge. That
seems to have become the default January challenge for TAC teams for the past few years
anyway.

Sooniye
Diglot
Groupie
Sweden
Joined 3679 days ago

44 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Spanish, Danish, Turkish, Japanese, Croatian, Hindi, Hungarian, Albanian

Message 71 of 314
03 January 2015 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
The introduction seems like a fine January challenge indeed.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 72 of 314
03 January 2015 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
你好!这是我的日记: What Expug is doing in 2015. 我已经学汉语三年多。可是还不能说,也不能 说。我是巴西人三十年岁。我结婚了。我很想 我们在这儿的中文越来越多,因为我不太喜欢 韩语,也不太喜欢日语。加油,朋友们!

Hello! This is my log. I've already been studying Chinese for over three years, but I still can't speak it.I am Brazilian, 30 y.o. I'm married. I really wish we can write more and more Chinese here, because I don't like Korean or Japanese much. GO ahead, friends!

Edited by Expugnator on 03 January 2015 at 8:57pm

This discussion contains 314 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version