United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5771 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 161 of 314
01 February 2015 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
もう 二月になった のに、私の自己紹介を 受け入れて くれませんか。

Even though it's now February, would you accept my self introduction?

2008年に 日本語を勉強し始めました。 なぜ6年間前に その難しい言語に 興味を持ったのか もうよく 思い出せないんですが、何とか 私の生活の一部に なりました。

I started studying Japanese in 2008. I don't really remember why I was interested in this difficult language 6 years ago, but somehow it became part of my life.

2012年に 日本語能力試験 N2を合格しました。 それから 日本語力は あまり上達しません。 私の責任ですから 文句を言えないんですが、 まだちょっと がっかりしています。 実は、日本に引っ越して 仕事をしたくないし、 もうテレビ番組を見ると だいたい分かるし、 今はN1とか C1の能力に 目指す気がない。

I passed JLPT N2 in 2012. Since then my ability hasn't really improved. I can't complain because it's my responsibility, but I'm still a bit disappointed. Actually, since I don't want to move to Japan and work there, and I can already mostly understand TV programmes, I don't have the motivation to aim for N1 or C1 abilities at the moment.

それにしても 読解はまだ 比較的に 弱いので、 「読みたい!」を今年のログ のテーマとして 選びました。

However, since my reading comprehension is still comparatively week, I chose the theme "I want to read!" for my log this year.

どうぞ よろしく お願いします。

Please be kind to me.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4586 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 162 of 314
01 February 2015 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for posting your intro g-bod. I'll hopefully post a list of all the participants
tonight when I get back, and then I guess it's also about time we think of a new
challenge :)
1 person has voted this message useful

B_Hutt
United States
Joined 4745 days ago

32 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 163 of 314
03 February 2015 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Hello there, wondering if I would be able to join this team? I am registered on twitter through the bot for korean. I know it technically started yesterday, so I hope I am not too late!

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5438 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 164 of 314
03 February 2015 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
I was wondering if all of our team challenges should be output based. We all have our own
way of getting input, so I would hate for a goal to be "learn 500 words in each target
language" when some people simply just read a lot (intensively and/or extensively), or
something like "learn 50 grammar constructions" when some people put off learning grammar
until they are in the advanced stages of learning. With output, there's only
writing/typing and speaking, so it would be easier for everyone to participate. Plus, I
know a lot of people want to try to increase their output skills this year, so I thought
it would be helpful.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4138 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 165 of 314
03 February 2015 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Good point. I think last year the Chinese team had a "100" challenge, where every participant was
to do something more challenging than what they usually do, and is related to that number. This
could be a 100 words, a 100 words a day, a 100 pages, 100 minutes of listening a day, 100 hours
of listening, 100 minutes of studying daily, 100 hours of studying, 100 characters, the list could go
on.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4586 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 166 of 314
03 February 2015 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
@B Hutt: Certainly, B Hutt, and welcome to the team! I'll add you to the roster for
Korean, unless you're studying another East Asian language?

@TheRealCZ and Ezy Ryder: I agree. Some things are style-dependent and it would
probably be unfair to force people to do things that may not be within their immediate
goals. That said, output itself is controversial in that some people defer it to later
stages in their studies. I do think that we can get creative with output, however. It
can be shadowing, transcribing a song or dialog, memorizing some lines of dialog and
reciting them, etc. I have been following a drama recently, and because I was hooked
on it, and on some scenes in particular, I ended memorizing the whole section of
dialog and saying it fluidly. It helped my outputting skills in general, even though
the memorization itself was accidental. So for those who don't want to be forced to
output, as in create a sentence from scratch, that could be a way to do it.

Generalizing the goals by affixing a specific number to them is also a good idea, as
we can consider the challenge successful if the numerical value is met, regardless of
whether the task itself is input- or output-based.

So hit me with your ideas, I'm open to all.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4955 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 167 of 314
04 February 2015 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Overall I agree with the idea of output-only challenges within the team. It also seems interesting to shadow a song, recite a poem etc. I only would advise against totally passive challenges as for these there's already the SC.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 168 of 314
04 February 2015 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
Ezy Ryder wrote:
Good point. I think last year the Chinese team had a "100" challenge, where every participant was
to do something more challenging than what they usually do, and is related to that number. This
could be a 100 words, a 100 words a day, a 100 pages, 100 minutes of listening a day, 100 hours
of listening, 100 minutes of studying daily, 100 hours of studying, 100 characters, the list could go
on.

The Korean team adopted that challenge as well, though we stretched it over two months and raised the count a bit (to
something like 140 I think).

This discussion contains 314 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version