Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4130 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 129 of 314
17 January 2015 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
I really like the Yamasa institute Kanji dictionary. I discovered it first through the Koohii lounge.
Upon trying to access it again recently, I've encountered some problems. So thanks for letting
us know it works again/providing a working link. It might not be entirely comprehensive (didn't
find an entry for literally the first Kanji I tried to look up - 岡, which might be a 人名用漢字, but
is still used in some common(ish?) place names, like Shizuoka or Fukuoka). I personally
appreciate it the most for the handwritten samples, instead of the stroke order (and from what
I've heard, stroke order differs a bit in 行書 anyway, so...).

Woodsei wrote:
How are we all doing with our studies? Anymore monthly challenge
volunteers ;)

I've had a few worse days, but I think I still haven't passed the new-year-enthusiasm stage. And
most likely I wouldn't say no to doing the next monthly challenge :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4383 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 130 of 314
18 January 2015 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
How are we all doing with our studies? Anymore monthly challenge volunteers ;)

I finally started to work on Japanese today. Before plunging in head first I decided to take an overview of my resources to select two or three to use, unfortunately going through all of them wasn’t as quick as I imagined. I apparently underestimated the amount of stuff I gathered over several years!

After much research my choice has fallen on Assimil and Japanesepod101. I have already used Assimil for both French and Swedish with mixed results; it was good for the first, but a bit hard for the latter so I'll see how the Japanese course is. I'm not familiar with the Language Pod 101 series, but a friend of mine told me it’s quite good. I’ve also seen it recommended by other learners here on the team.

As for the challenge…I think I'll wait until the very end of the month to post something. At the moment my knowledge is limited to a few, very few, sentences I remember from my first Japanese course. I wouldn't get much far from こんにちわ 涼風 です XD
1 person has voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4578 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 131 of 314
18 January 2015 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
suzukaze wrote:
I wouldn't get much far from こんにちわ 涼風 です XD

Well, then, there you go. You've got that covered :D Seriously, though, you don't have to
force yourself to write anything. I was just touching base with you guys.

Jpod101 is very good. Timmy did post a similar question to yours early in the thread, so
you might want to look out for our comments in case you haven't already. I tried Assimil,
but only the first book. I also read through it quickly like a reader rather than do any
proper studying as is intended for the series. My general opinion is that it is a good
program, and I believe some others who have tried it may agree. It does give you a lot of
patterns you will encounter in the language, and I learned a lot from it. The only reason I
stopped is that I generally don't like textbooks, and prefer to use readers, etc. that ease
into native materials as soon as possible. I think that may be why I like Jpod. It's
comprehensive, and the language is very natural, or at least the most natural I have seen
in any other course aimed at learners. You won't be getting a rude shock once you start
watching, say, anime or drama. Variety shows, obviously need some getting used to, but then
again, I really believe Jpod will get you there the most out of any course, because it goes
into a very high level of the language, and are very, very dense with dialogues and
patterns. There are lessons in the hundreds there. So my advice to you, so that you don't
burn out quickly like I did, is to use the dialogue-only tracks and the accompanying pdfs.
The full podcast maybe useful, but there's a lot of English involved in the beginner
seasons, more than I care to listen to. I've reached that conclusion two episodes in, and
just went along with the dialogue tracks, but I haven't yet covered much since I'm
currently reading and using lyrics as a source of study. Really, as dampingwire said, I
think Jpod is a good shortcut and all you really need. I just am inconsistent with it
because I'm not someone who likes courses all that much.

I rambled.

Let me know if you have any questions!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 132 of 314
18 January 2015 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
안녕하세요. 저는 셰인이라고해요. 미국에 살고 5년반동안 한국어를 공부해 왔어요. 그래도 제 한국어 능력이 아직 너무 약하다고 생각해요. 매체를 많이 보는데 연습도 공부도 별로 안 해요. 올해는 그걸 고치고 싶어요.
Hello, I'm Shane. I live in the US and have been studying Korean for 5 1/2 years. Even so I still feel that my Korean abilities are far too weak. I watch a lot of media, but don't really practice or study all that much.
This year, I'd like to fix that.

As always my Korean intro is much shorter than it probably should be given how long I've been studying that language. However between a lack of things I wish to say and being constantly reminded how weak my
active skills are when I try to use them (resulting in far too many vocabulary and grammar lookups), that will have to suffice for now.

--------

こんにちは。 私はシェインです。 アメリカに住んでいます。 日本語は2年ぐらい前から勉強を始めました 。 でも去年まであまりしませんでした。
Hello, I'm Shane. I live in the US. I started studying Japanese about two years ago, but didn't really do all that much until last year.

Whew...even that short intro required quite a bit of Internet help for both Kanji confirmation and grammar forms (like "start to study"). Any corrections are welcome.

Edited by Warp3 on 18 January 2015 at 3:41am

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4578 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 133 of 314
18 January 2015 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
I watch a lot of media, but don't really practice or study all that
much.
This year, I'd like to fix that.

Sounds just like me, except it's been almost 3 years. XD

--------

Warp3 wrote:
こんにちは。 私はシェインです。 アメリカに住んでいます。 日本語は2年ぐらい前から勉
強を始めました 。 でも去年まであまりしませんでした。
Hello, I'm Shane. I live in the US. I started studying Japanese about two years ago,
but didn't really do all that much until last year.

Whew...even that short intro required quite a bit of Internet help for both Kanji
confirmation and grammar forms (like "start to study"). Any corrections are welcome.

Take out the period between the last 2 sentences, add がand a comma after 始めました,
and take away でも. It would flow better that way, but nothing's inherently wrong with
the grammar. Just connecting the sentences.

日本語は2年ぐらい前から勉強を始めました が, 去年まであまりしませんでした。

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 134 of 314
18 January 2015 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the tip. I'm not really far enough into the language yet to have learned the methods for stringing sentences together yet, so I figured I'd rather stick with what I knew was
correct. I only really know でも because of Pimsleur and they always kept things simple by using it as a sentence starter. They did something similar in Korean so I had assumed
there were ways to link them into longer sentences, but I hadn't had the chance to learn those patterns quite yet.

What really surprised me though is that I could even string together a sentence that long in the first place since I've only been studying in earnest for a few months now. I think that
is a sign of how much of a shortcut Korean grammar knowledge has been since that already had me on the right track for word order, particles, etc. That standard rule that
"languages aren't one to one mappings" doesn't seem to be quite as true with those two languages as they are with other language pairs I've experienced. Yes some structures are
still very different between them, but others are practically carbon copies of each other and all you have to do is swap in the right words and particles from the other language and
you are done. Due to this, it feels like my Japanese is progressing at a rate far faster than my Korean ever did (especially this early on).

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4578 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 135 of 314
18 January 2015 at 4:54am | IP Logged 
It's good to know that Korean is that close to Japanese in terms of structure. What I'm
starting to notice is that languages are like families: your knowledge of one makes it a
lot easier to know a closely-related other. I haven't read into the language mapping
discussion, so I'm not really sure I can give any useful ideas here.

Another point, and one that isn't related to the similarities between Korean and Japanese
is that, once you've learned a language, it's easier to learn another. It could be due to
finding your own learning style, knowing before hand what resources to use and what to
stay away from, and more importantly, I really do feel that your brain becomes rewired to
acquire languages more easily. Add to that two languages that are basically carbon copies
of each other, and you probably have a recipe for success.

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5574 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 136 of 314
18 January 2015 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
Here is my first effort of self-intro in Mandarin:

我叫庵. 我三十七岁了. 我是俄 罗 斯 人. 我在法国工作. 我 开 始 学中 文.

My name is Anna. I am 37 years-old. I am Russian. I work in France. I start to learn Chinese.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 314 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version