sabotai
United States
Joined 5667 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 201 of 314
14 February 2015 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
Songs for the challenge. Not advanced in either so won't be doing complete songs.

Japanese: 名前のない怪物 - EGOIST (end credits song for Psycho Pass). I'm just going to do the part used for the end credits, which is roughly the first minute of the song.

Korean: 좀 걷자 - 정인 - It's a nice, slow song but has a rapping part near the end by 개리 that I'll be skipping.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5320 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 202 of 314
14 February 2015 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
My songs are going okay so far even though I had less time than planned this past week.

I'll have to make a clarification on my Japanese song choice, though. Apparently there
isn't a "main chorus" in SKE48's 強き者よ after all. I thought the 1st and 3rd chorus
were the same (and chorus #2 is obviously different even at a glance), but the lyrics I
downloaded had a typo on Chorus 3. Two lines are actually different between choruses 1
and 3, so each chorus is at least slightly different. I'm working on chorus 1 for now, but
may learn chorus 3 anyway since the difference between the two is minor (the 2 lines are
actually just one line that is repeated twice in the chorus and only one word on that line
separates it from chorus 1). I've learned a couple lines of chorus 1 so far (and the final
line of the intro without actually trying to do so), but progress is a bit slow since I'm fairly
new to this language.

With Korean, on the other hand, progress is much faster. I've memorized the full chorus
for 송지은's 쳐다보지마 now and if I'm focused I can even remember it at speed while the
song is playing. It helps that this song only has 1 chorus that is repeated 3 times during
the song, so I hear those lines 3 times per playthrough. Unlike most songs I memorize, I
started learning this one without already knowing part of it. I had only heard it a couple
times prior to picking it, and just recently bought it to add to my MP3 player. Thus I knew
I liked it but hadn't listened to it enough to start picking up lyrics yet. I've also picked up
parts of the verses and obviously the English parts of the bridge were easy enough. I
suspect I'll be at full recall speed with this full song before I'm done even memorizing
just chorus 1 of the other song.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4450 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 203 of 314
15 February 2015 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
Ezy Ryder wrote:
Sorry for double-posting, but I finished this month's challenge for
Japanese. Chinese shouldn't
take much longer.
link

I'm planning to learn the original opening theme from 進撃の巨人 (Attack on Titan) but I
wasn't planning on actually performing it ... I'm assuming that's optional?

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5320 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 204 of 314
16 February 2015 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
It finally clicked for me why I'm having so much trouble with my Japanese song. I didn't understand
most of the lyrics to the chorus, so I was really trying to learn the sounds by rote rather than memorizing
phrases. It's been years since I made this mistake in Korean, so I had long forgotten about how futile
that is. So I worked through the chorus today and SE read it to extract everything I didn't know into SRS
cards.

However, one phrase is giving me trouble since I can't seem to find a clear answer on what it means.
The phrase is 道の先. The most likely translation I can come up with is "end of the road", but searching
through dictionaries and fan translations of various songs with this phrase also came up with other
varied answers such as "down the road", "this side of the road", "the other side of the road", "across
the road", etc. Can anyone here provide some further insight?

Since it helps to have context, here is the end of the chorus where this appears:
一人で立ち上がって
何のため 歩くのだろう?
道の先 Change the world!

Edited by Warp3 on 16 February 2015 at 12:13am

misskj
United States
Joined 4136 days ago

28 posts - 38 votes
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 205 of 314
16 February 2015 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
@Warp3

If I were reading that I would probably interpret it as "the road ahead" or "the road before me" but I
could be wrong. When I read a lot in Japanese I realize I tend to gloss over things without checking
their exact meaning if I understand most of the context because I'm lazy. =]

ALSO,

Hi everyone.. I'm Kelsey. I'm new to this site and I would love to join your team for the TAC. I know
I'm a bit late and this is pretty new to me but it's exciting to be involved with other passionate
language learners! I posted in the new member introductions thread and they directed me here. I also
gave an introduction in terms of language learning.

But basically this is what I said:
-----

I'm a college student right now. I've been studying Japanese
intensively for 4 years now. RTK(Remembering the Kanji), sentence mining method + total immersion,
Anki, memrise, lang-8, grammar books and took a few elementary Japanese classes at my school
(which did not help btw). Right now I can comfortably read daily-life novels like Murakami Haruki (I'm
reading ノルウェイの森 right now). I've been reviewing N3 grammar and started studying N2 grammar.
(Though I've never taken the JPLT so I don't really know which level I am at.) Can kinda watch anime
or j dramas depending on the terminology.. I can text chat in Japanese pretty well. Speaking I'm
pretty bad but I've been working on that..Started skyping every week for at least an hour in
Japanese.

The other language I started studying is Korean. I'm going to study abroad to Korea next year so I'm
really excited to start learning Korean. My Korean study habits are all over the place. I keep changing
my "method" unlike what I did in Japanese. Hopefully I can get some advice from you language
learners here on this forum! My goal is to be conversationally fluent in Korean by the time I arrive so I
can make some cool Korean friends at Yonsei university! I skype twice a week with a very sweet lady
in Korea who I found on italki and.. my Korean study methods aren't very consistent every week so I
don't really know what I'm doing now.
----

But yeah mini summary about me.
I would love to join the team with you guys! Thanks~
3 persons have voted this message useful

Nieng Zhonghan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Antarctica
Joined 3456 days ago

108 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Japanese*, Spanish, Galician
Studies: Finnish, Icelandic, Armenian, Mongolian
Studies: Old English, Russian, English, German, Korean, Mandarin

Message 206 of 314
18 February 2015 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
misskj,

Welcome to the Asian team. Wish you good luck in your studies.

On February challenge

I chose "對不起我的中文不好" sung by "前進樂團" and "River Flows In You" sung by 이루이.

Not advanced in either so won't be doing complete songs.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4951 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 207 of 314
18 February 2015 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Hilarious Taiwanese song, Nieng_Zhonghan ! Maybe the only I'd be able to understand
fully. And I also gained exposure to traditional characters.

Mine will be Oliver Tree. I listened to it a lot at the Singaporean show I'm in Charge.

Rem
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 3542 days ago

66 posts - 96 votes 
Studies: German, Mandarin, Czech, French

Message 208 of 314
19 February 2015 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
This month’s challenge worked out quite well for me because it fitted in with
something that I was doing anyway.

Over the last few weeks I have been learning some songs in Mandarin in preparation for
a Chinese New Year Event that I agreed to take part in (whatever was I thinking?).
I’ve spent the last few weeks alternating between excitement, anticipation,
nervousness and sheer terror. However; I managed to stick with it and I got through it
all in one piece (...just...). This month I completed the challenge by singing as part
of a group in front of over a hundred people. O.O

Apparently it was recorded, so I’m attempting to get my hands on a copy of it. I was
so worried about messing up, but I’ve had a few compliments from people since, so I
guess I can’t have been too bad (unless, of course, they’re just being kind?).

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 314 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version