614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 25 of 314
24 December 2014 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
TimmyTurner93 wrote:
Hey guys, I guess I'm the newbie this year as I'm starting from
almost scratch in
Japanese. I'm thinking whether or not to set some goals for the year to give myself
something to aim for but don't really know what is achievable realistically. I've set
my
eyes on JLPT N5 (but may not take it) as a sort of distant deadline. Anyone got some
advice for a padawan?

EDIT: I'll add what resources I have bookmarked ASAP (probably on the 26th)

Hey there, TimmyTurner93. I believe N5 by the end of the year is very doable, but that
also depends on your learning style and rate of progress. Are you a zero beginner, or
have you started some Japanese? Any basic grammar/vocab? What about your kana/kanji?
Do you have an idea about the resources you might be using? I think I may be able to
give you a better idea if I know where you are at. But even if, N5 at the end of the
year is extremely possible, at least from my experience. I'm sure a lot of other
people here on the team will have valuable advice for you as well.

I'd be happy to support you on your journey, and hopefully all the members of the team
will, to. I'll be posting the resources that I have, as well as our teammates's
suggestions as you've already seen in a couple of posts, here on the team log for the
languages in question, hopefully over the next few days.

I look forward to following your progress this year :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4585 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 26 of 314
24 December 2014 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Hey all! Don't forget to provide links to your logs as soon as you can over at the TAC
2015 sign up thread. I believe Josquin is trying to prepare the full roster with the
links before the year's out.
1 person has voted this message useful

Nieng Zhonghan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Antarctica
Joined 3459 days ago

108 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Japanese*, Spanish, Galician
Studies: Finnish, Icelandic, Armenian, Mongolian
Studies: Old English, Russian, English, German, Korean, Mandarin

Message 27 of 314
25 December 2014 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
I will probably join the German team, but I am still considering joining the East Asian
team, for either Chinese or Korean languages. Joining both altogether would be more
desirable, though.
:D

Anyway, joining the East Asian team or not, I am going to follow this thread and its
users' logs.

Edited by Nieng Zhonghan on 25 December 2014 at 12:24am

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4585 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 28 of 314
25 December 2014 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
You're most welcome on the team, Nieng Zhonghan. We'd love to have you.

If you do decide to join us, just remember to link up to your log here, as well as on the
Wikia roster, and the TAC 2015 thread.

Best of luck to you! :D

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4453 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 29 of 314
25 December 2014 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
TimmyTurner93 wrote:
Hey guys, I guess I'm the newbie this year as I'm starting from almost scratch in
Japanese. I'm thinking whether or not to set some goals for the year to give myself
something to aim for but don't really know what is achievable realistically. I've set my
eyes on JLPT N5 (but may not take it) as a sort of distant deadline. Anyone got some
advice for a padawan?

I started studying Japanese in January 2012, having looked through various language books from the local library
before settling on Japanese. At that stage I'd seen but not learned ひらがな and かたかな, the two phonetic scripts. I
started my My Japanese log. in April or so, which was roughly when I found a
tutor. I sat and passed JLPT N5 in December 2012. So if you are starting from scratch now you most certainly can
sit and pass JLPT N5 in December 2015. (You need to check whichever test centre you think you'll use to make sure
that they offer the test in December: there are two yearly sittings, the other being in July).

I can still remember when I thought that one year would be a distant deadline. For me, it certainly wasn't :-) It's
also not a year, as the test happens on the first Sunday of December, so you've got a shade over 11 months.

The test is entirely in Japanese. If you are like me, you probably won't understand too much of the instructions
during N5. That's OK, it's all pretty obvious as long as you've had a practice go before.

You'll also hear plenty of people telling you that the level is not far removed from the old
Janet and John stories. That's probably true, and once
you've passed it you'll look back and wonder what all the fuss was about (I know I did). However, at the time it
seemed quite daunting, and it certainly proved to be a very handy spur to make me sit down and read or study or
whatever.

There are plenty of resources for Japanese, including plenty of free ones. I listed some of the ones
I found most useful in my 2014 TAC log but there are plenty of
others.

I'd suggest settling on a beginner series of grammar books to get a grounding (Genki, Japanese for Busy People and
Minna No Nihongo are the three I see mentioned the most) and get started.

I personally would wholeheartedly recommend learning the phonetic scripts over the next few weeks. I imagine that
it's possible to learn using just romaji, but, especially if you are going to use the JLPT as a series of
milestones, you must learn "real Japanese".

There are various audio courses that you can probably find in your local library, such as Michel Thomas and
Pimsleur. They'll both get you started but don't believe their hype: neither is any more than an initial stepping
stone.

Oops. It's now Christmas Day, so I'd better get to bed before Santa finds out I'm still awake and mucking about on
a computer :-)

5 persons have voted this message useful

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5581 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 30 of 314
25 December 2014 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
Finally, I've managed to sign in on Wikia, using Firefox browser, it was not working with Safari...
I will focus on Mandarin and Japanese.
God luck to everybody and Merry Christmas!

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4656 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 31 of 314
25 December 2014 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
I'm definitely in with Korean and who knows what else might happen this year :) My goals are to finish the
Super Challenge and pass TOPIK level 5 or 6 in April. I'll be using my old log again.

I think it's great that we have an East Asian team again and look forward to an interesting, productive year
with you all!

My log is here:
http://www.how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.a sp?TID=30979&PN=1

Edited by druckfehler on 25 December 2014 at 1:49pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 32 of 314
25 December 2014 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler: I'm glad to see you are joining us. Don't forget to post your log link in the
main TAC 2015 thread and to sign up on the Wikia page (the link for the Wikia page is in the
first post of the TAC 2015 thread).

This discussion contains 314 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version