Joined 3412 days ago

19 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*, Kannada*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 241 of 314
16 March 2015 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
Hey guys,

I mentioned it in the general TAC thread but I forgot to write it here:

I'd like to drop Chinese and add Korean, as I am going to be in Korea for the next several months. Could someone
make the requisite changes? Thanks.

My log is here:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=39738

Edited by IBEP on 16 March 2015 at 7:55am

1 person has voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4578 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 242 of 314
16 March 2015 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
@Warp3 and @kraemder: My notifications were going to my spam folder on Gmail. I don't
understand how that happened but they kept going there until I had to create filters
to make sure they ended up in my inbox again. It was really annoying. That may be
what's happening with both of you. Check your spam.

@Mono D.I-Fly: Yes, you keep a log, but the format is entirely up to you. It's like a
journal where you record what you covered, your progress, your opinions and ideas, any
new and interesting things you're discovering about the language, language learning,
books, movies, yourself,and basically anything, really. You can update whenever you
like. Just be sure to pipe in every now and then so we know you're still on board:)

I also learned the kana from anime on-screen lyrics or names popping up during an
episode of Conan or something. I learned both at the same time, and it wasn't in an
organized manner either. Just what came on at the moment.

@IBEP: Done.

Edited by Woodsei on 16 March 2015 at 10:43pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 243 of 314
16 March 2015 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
March Challenge - Expugnator

I had decided to write 100 characters a week, but since I've been very busy lately and usually deprived from my quality output time, I decided to write all the 400 when I could, Here goes my text:

生活和工作

今天上午我本来怕上班迟到,竟然按时到了。 九点五十五分我还在准备三明治带办公室,可 是我赶快把三明治准备好,看了《快乐汉语》 的今天的集,就出门。
从我家到办公室只要二十多分钟。我很喜欢走 路。为了去上班,走路比坐公共汽车快。这个 城市的公共交通非常糟糕,坐地铁不方便,坐 车真的慢。所以我决定买一间在办公室附近的 公寓。而且, 我住在的区没有那么高的生活费,也没有那么 繁忙的街道。
我工作平时不太忙,但是有时候我很忙,比如 说上个星期。我不知道这是一个异常,或者是 一个新的趋势。不管是什么结果,我都得工作 。我对我工作满意一点儿。同事都很好,工资 也好。可是有时候我认为我做的任务没有趣。 那,怎么办呢?换工作不简单,要考试。我可 在同一家公司找新的地方工作,可是这还不 么简单做,还有事儿:可能人们问我工作时 短,赚的少。幸运的是,我非常有耐心。我 生活的其他方面很乐意。我喜欢学外语,也 欢看书。我想更多地了解世界,不要对其他 有偏见。人们需要多一点相互宽容和尊重。 是只有一个通向幸福和爱情的路径。我希望 们越来越友好。

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 244 of 314
17 March 2015 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
@Warp3 and @kraemder: My notifications were going to my spam folder on Gmail. I don't
understand how that happened but they kept going there until I had to create filters
to make sure they ended up in my inbox again. It was really annoying. That may be
what's happening with both of you. Check your spam.

The email address I have linked here doesn't actually have any spam filtering. My notifications simply don't arrive now. Oddly I
did get two notifications after the forum migration, but I'm almost positive they were notifications for posts on the "old board"
since they didn't match up to any posts on the new board (and they were the only ones I've gotten). Unwatching then watching
this thread seems to have had zero effect either.

TimmyTurner93
Groupie
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3448 days ago

45 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 245 of 314
17 March 2015 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
皆さんごめんなさい! (Picture me bowing)

I haven't been very active on the forums for about 1.5 months but I'm back now and fully
intend to catch up on everyone's progress. I have been making progress in Japanese but
I'll leave the proper update for my log post in a few hours.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4916 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 246 of 314
17 March 2015 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:

@Mono D.I-Fly: Yes, you keep a log, but the format is entirely up to you. It's like a
journal where you record what you covered, your progress, your opinions and ideas, any
new and interesting things you're discovering about the language, language learning,
books, movies, yourself,and basically anything, really. You can update whenever you
like. Just be sure to pipe in every now and then so we know you're still on board:)

I also learned the kana from anime on-screen lyrics or names popping up during an
episode of Conan or something. I learned both at the same time, and it wasn't in an
organized manner either. Just what came on at the moment.

By the way, I am learning Japanese and Arabic again, so I join 2 different teams. Should I make two logs or just one for two teams is enough?

Oh yeah, my fellow language learner at work said that the Kanji "个" was read as "jin" (person). Was he right? As far as I know, the Kanji for "jin" does similar to it, but without the vertical line.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4654 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 247 of 314
17 March 2015 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
个 - Jisho.org
人 - Jisho.org

I think you'll be better off not trusting your coworker, especially considering how
easy it is to find out this on the internet.

The former looks like a simplified Chinese character though, equivalent to 個.

Edited by stifa on 17 March 2015 at 6:01pm

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 248 of 314
18 March 2015 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
I just checked the Korean resources post on the first page and it's missing some very good sites so I thought I should post them here.

For beginners (easy):

Quick Korean - if you don't mind learning from video lessons then these will be very useful for you. They are done by professionals so the quality is very high. The videos go up to level 4 which is somewhere in the intermediate area.

Korean From Zero - this is a book with accompanying audio files. I think this is the easiest Korean textbook in the sense that it doesn't move too fast and everything is explained nicely.

My Korean - two textbooks by Monash University. They are more difficult than 'Korean From Zero' but maybe that's not a bad thing.

Click Korean - this is an internet course. I used it in the beginning of my studies and I liked it.

For beginners (difficult):

How To Study Korean - I've read that some people use this site as beginners in Korean but I think it would be too difficult for most people. Nevertheless it's a great site and new lessons are still being added.

DLI Korean - this is the new version pdf, it's pretty to look at. Difficult though.

Intermediate:

Online Intermediate College Korean - when I search the internet for a particular grammar construction, I often end up here. A very useful site.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 314 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version