FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4410 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 305 of 314
26 July 2015 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
Still here!

I happened to check HTLAL the day after it went down so I looked for everyone and found the .org.
With all this happening, I'm more than ever inclined to start my website and follow the .org but for now, I'll just stick with the real HTLAL.

I still don't have internet at home nor a phone with 3g so I can't actually post much (only at cafés) but I'll do more as soon as I have proper internet
(soon I hope...).

In any case, I'm still surrounded by Japanese, reading japanese everyday (although not books but more articles and magazines), listening to japanese (music,
colleagues talking and.. well.. in the street), etc.

I've also started again studying Mandarin! Since last week, everyday, I go to a Kombini to get wifi and sit at a table listening to a 15min podcast from NHK
for Chinese (まいにち中国語)and then writing the dialogue down.

Starting tomorrow, I'll do that with Korean as well although my level is higher than the lessons, but the level above ("level up" as they call it) is far
above my level so maybe I'll switch to this one later. At least like this I'll know better the basics and get a bit of vocab as well.

Anyway, more on that in a few weeks I guess, wherever that'll be, I'll be sure to find a way to tell you guys! (if it's not here, but I guess it'll be anyway
:p)
1 person has voted this message useful

Rem
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 3535 days ago

66 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin, Czech, French

Message 306 of 314
26 July 2015 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
I'm still around and still studying my languages. I'm following both HTLAL and the .org
site at the moment.

I've been thinking about setting up a log over on the .org forum, but mostly I'm just
watching (the same as many others I guess) and waiting to see what happens.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4575 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 307 of 314
28 July 2015 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
Hey guys!

Thank you all so much for getting back and letting me know you're still alive and
kickin'! :P No worries over the lack of posts, here or on your logs, it's just good
to know we're still all more or less working on our languages. Josquin, I hear ya,
it's fine, get back to Japanese when you have the time and motivation to do so. I'm
not sure what to do myself regarding the situation of the real HTLAL vs. .org (how did
that even happen, anyway?!) But I guess it's a good time as any to set up an emergency

Good to hear from some of you how's it all been. If you do choose to set up a log on
the .org website, Just post me a link here so I know where to find you :) At least
until I can actually sit down at the computer long enough to add in all the names and
links over at .org. Oh well.

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4380 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 308 of 314
03 August 2015 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
Where have you all gone?! I'll put in the effort to visit the individual threads to check on everyone. In the meantime, if you see this, I'd like you all to let me know if you're still active with the TAC, and how you're all progressing. Just a quick update will do.

I didn't do much between February and June for various reasons. Then in July I decided to find a way to add some regular Japanese learning in my schedule. At the moment I'm trying to study around 30 minutes everyday, I usually watch two anime episodes (one per day) and do one “Let's learn Japanese” lesson on the third day. It's not a lot, but it's all the time I can allot to Japanese in this period since other languages have the priority (French, German). Also, I'm going to transfer to my new apartment in a couple of months so I'm quite busy with renovations and moving all my stuff there.

I haven't signed up to the new forum yet. I'm familiar with phpBB though and it’s a much better script than the one we have here so I may give it a go later this week. it would be a good occasion to do a fresh start since I have always been a bit lazy when it comes to update my log.

misskj wrote:
I started skyping with new people I met on atskype. There are a ton of people on there wanting to befriend Americans and foreigners if anyone is interested in finding a language partner.

I wasn't familiar with this site so thanks for posting it, my level is too low to speak/write but I hope it will be useful to me in the future!

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4575 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 309 of 314
13 August 2015 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
@misskj: Thanks for posting that suggestion for atSkype. I'm sure it will come in really
handy.

@suzukaze: I have not set up a thread over at the other forum as I figured we're doing fine
over here, but if the site crashes again during the next few months, at least everyone one
will know where to go to, and I'll probably set up a thread there. So you're fine.

I really owe everyone a big apology. I'm sorry I haven't been much of a team leader this
year. A lot of things happened that I did not anticipate, especially with exam dates and
job changes. If anyone has any concerns or thoughts about anything here on the thread, or
what you'd like me to do, let me know. I haven't suggested any challenge this month as I
feel a lot of you, like me, have things that have been keeping you busy. But if you want to
get back to doing so, let me know, and I'll figure out something.

As for my summary, I'm finally starting to get back to working a little bit more
consistently on Japanese, and mainly reading a lot, and working actively on production. I
got to know a very sweet lady who I now communicate with over email, and have been trying
to post more on Lang-8. That said, I have yet to update my log. And I still haven't
attempted to speak to anyone over Skype. I'm trying to do a lot of self-talk exercises, and
they've been really helpful. I can also see myself talking to my friend, but I still find
it a bit difficult working up the courage to talk immediately to people over Skype I may
not know well. That's another thing I need to work on, because I know that using the
language is important, both in terms of progress and speaking abilities. I was also
considering doing a few sessions on iTalki, but decided to wait it out until I can free up
more time and be consistent with them once some things are ticked off my to-do list.

That's basically a summary of what I have been up. Do pop in from time to time and say hey!

また今度!

Edited by Woodsei on 13 August 2015 at 10:47am

2 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5427 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 310 of 314
16 August 2015 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
I'm kind of here. I'll be moving to the new forum because things won't change around
here. I haven't been studying as much because of my exams that I need to pass for my job.
(Accounting in the U.S. requires more exams after finishing school), so I've been busy
with that.

I'll still check in here time to time to see the group discussion and individual logs,
but my future log will be at the new forum.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4575 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 311 of 314
18 August 2015 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
@The Real CZ: Good to see you back! And good to know where we can find your log, too. I
definitely see how the other forum's relative ease of use can be more convenient. Can't really
blame you for switching over.

misskj
United States
Joined 4129 days ago

28 posts - 38 votes
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 312 of 314
18 August 2015 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:

And I still haven't
attempted to speak to anyone over Skype. I'm trying to do a lot of self-talk exercises, and
they've been really helpful. I can also see myself talking to my friend, but I still find
it a bit difficult working up the courage to talk immediately to people over Skype I may
not know well. That's another thing I need to work on, because I know that using the
language is important, both in terms of progress and speaking abilities.

I completely understand you Woodsei. I have been scared to speak Japanese for 3 years but after
I realized how much I've improved with Japanese passively (reading light novels but can't hold a
conversation? ...) I thought I should really work on speaking. The first few times I skyped in
Japanese I was so scared out of my mind. Plus I'm more introverted but it will get easier and I
realized it's not the end of the world if they say a word I don't understand I just ask them to repeat
or ask them to type out of the word so I can look it up if need be and move on.

I don't really know if I should be giving advice because I'm no expert at speaking Japanese yet
haha... but what made it easier for me was writing a lot of journals and getting them corrected and
typing/chatting first with Japanese people I added on Skype. I found these people on
Atskype , sharedtalk and italki. And my listening level was pretty
high from watching a lot of shows and getting a ton of passive input.

I would definitely say go for it! Plus meeting new people and making connections with people is so
fun~
---
Also I'm not really sure if I should continue my log here or on that new site either..I'd prefer the
other site because it's newer to be honest :P
But I'll be following both websites for now~

This discussion contains 314 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version