Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 74 ... 80 81 Next >>
Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 585 of 646
17 January 2015 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
FRIDAY, 16 JANUARY 2015

CELTIC CHALLENGE

Céad míle fáilte, everybody! After a short break, I'm finally back studying languages. But that's not all! The new year has started with a new language, because I'm learning Welsh now. It's my third Celtic language after Irish and Scottisch Gaelic.

I'm absolutely crazy about Celtic languages and culture right now, so that's why I decided to dedicate the beginning of the year entirely to Celtic languages, creating my own Celtic Challenge! I'm going to study as much Irish and Welsh as possible and I'll also deal with Celtic culture, such as music and literature.

Gaeilge

I have repeated lessons 1-6 from Learning Irish. Also, I have done the exercises for lessons 1 and 2 in Nancy Stenson's Workbook, which provides supplementary exercises for every lesson of Learning Irish.

Tá an Ghaeilge an-suimiúl! Is breá liom Gaeilge a fhoghlaim agus tá súil agam go mbeidh feabhas orm gan mhoill.

Cymraeg

I have worked through lessons 1 and 2 of Lehrbuch der walisischen Sprache and most of unit 1 from Colloquial Welsh. I have dabbled in Welsh before, but I think I finally understood the pronunciation rules this time. Nevertheless, it's a little bit counterintuitive to pronounce somehting spelt "tyfu" like "tövi". Well, I hope I'll get used to it soon.

Rydw i'n siarad Cymraeg. Hwyl fawr!

Sengoídelc

Last but not least, I decided to get back to Old Irish and dabble a little bit in it. I think my Modern Irish is good enough now, so I can deal with earlier stages of the language without creating too much confusion. I explicitly state that I'm only dabbling in Old Irish, because I need to see how much time I can dedicate to my other languages for the time being. Anyway, it's great to be back!

Besides my language studies, I'm also going to read some Celtic sagas, such as the Táin Bó Cuailnge or the Pedeir Ceinc y Mabinogi, in translation. Of course, it would be absolutely awesome to be able to read them in the original one day, but that day is still far... But hey, that's what this challenge is for! :) Also, I'll listen to even more Celtic folk music than I do anyway.

As long as my Celtic Challenge is running I'll put my other languages on hold. I'm not going to set a date for the end of the challenge, I'll just keep going as long as possible, making as much progress as possible.

Go n-éirí an bóthar liom!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 586 of 646
17 January 2015 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
Pob lwc, piseach, agus ádh mór ort with the Celtic Challenge, Josquin de Lassus! :) I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with Old Irish, and in particular, how much Old Irish differs from Modern Irish. Is the gap between these languages comparable to that between Old and Modern English, for example? Or perhaps it's closer, as between Middle and Modern English, or Russian and Church Slavonic? I'm hoping for the latter, as I'd love to read classic tales directly in Old Irish one day too.

1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 587 of 646
17 January 2015 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
SATURDAY, 17 JANUARY 2015

CELTIC CHALLENGE - DAY 2

Thanks for your good wishes, Teango! I haven't studied enough Old Irish yet to give a final verdict, but I think the difference between Old and Modern Irish is comparable to the one between Old and Modern English. If we're talking about Old Irish, we mean the language of the 9th and 10th century A.D., so a lot of time has passed since that language was spoken.

Old Irish has a far more complex morphology than Modern Irish with five cases for nouns and dependent and independent forms for verbs, which are conjugated in all persons. So its grammar is somewhat comparable to Latin or Ancient Greek, but thanks to inital mutations and hardly recognizable verb forms it is arguably even more complex.

Nevertheless, I love complex languages, so it's a perfect challenge for me!

Gaeilge

I did the exercises for lessons 3 through 5 in Nancy Stenson's Workbook and I realized I neither know the gender of most nouns nor their plural forms. Nevertheless, I'm quite good at guessing them! ;) I also realized that there are sound combinations which prevent eclipsis. Until now, I only knew about the dentals rule for lenition (no lenition of d, t, and s after n), but it turns out d and t aren't eclipsed after n either.

Cymraeg

I repeated units 1 and 2 in Lehrbuch der walisischen Sprache and listened to the recordings. I'll admit, I didn't do a lot of Welsh today.

Sengoídelc

I worked through units 1 to 3 in David Stifter's textbook "Sengoídelc". I think I finally understood the rules for pronunciation although they are rather tricky and not always consistent. Anyway, this book is fun! In order to practise your pronunciation, you get real extracts from Old Irish prose and poetry combined with a translation. I love that!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 588 of 646
18 January 2015 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
SUNDAY, 18 JANUARY 2015

CELTIC CHALLENGE - DAY 3

So, no Old Irish today, but a lot of Modern Irish and Welsh. Everything's going smoothly - just as it should be.

Gaeilge

I worked through lesson 6 in Nancy Stenson's Workbook. It's great that I finally get to practise my Irish! Neither Colloquial nor Gaeilge gan Stró nor Teach Yourself had real grammar exercises, so this is a great opportunity to drill everything I passively know and to turn it into active skills.

Cymraeg

I worked through unit 3 and had a look at unit 4 in Lehrbuch der walisischen Sprache. They mainly dealt with the present tense of "bod" ("to be"), numbers from 1 to 10, and soft mutation.

This is not too difficult, although you can't tell whether a word is mutated or not from it's written form. In Irish and Scots Gaelic, certain consonant combinations indicate that a word has been mutated, but it's not the same in Welsh.

Example:

Irish:
"ar an gcloch" ("on the stone")
- The combination "gc" indicates that the c has been eclipsed by a g sound, so you know the originial word is "cloch".

Welsh:
"yn y dafarn" ("in the pub")
- You need to know that feminine words undergo soft mutation after the definite article "y", so the original word must be "tafarn".

So, you really have to know which words cause mutation in order to recognize the mutated word and reconstruct the original form.

Sengoídelc

As I said, no Old Irish today. Maybe tomorrow!

Edited by Josquin on 18 January 2015 at 3:20pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6704 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 589 of 646
18 January 2015 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
I can second your thoughts about Old Irish - we're talking of language that was in use a thousand years ago. When I was busy with the language last winter/spring it really felt doing Latin homework with very strange sentences to teach us the grammar (e.g. I am making a sling for the king. Bricriu is not in the fort, he has been killed in the great battle. He was given a sword that he might do a brave deed.). I've written something about it in my log.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 590 of 646
23 January 2015 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
FRIDAY, 23 JANUARY 2015

Okay, not too much has happened language-wise for the last few days. Maybe, this Celtic Challenge wasn't very well thought out in the first place, but I'm not calling it off (yet)! I have worked through some more lessons in Nancy Stenson's Workbook, but please don't ask me about Welsh or Old Irish.

In fact, my motivation for language study is very low at the moment, so please don't expect too many updates from me in the near future. I'm likely to do some Irish now and then, but other than that my focus is on other things right now.

I'm making good progress with my thesis and my music, so languages are comparatively unimportant at the moment. There might be another outburst of enthusiasm sooner or later, but, as I said, there will probably be little continuous studying for the time being.

Slán agaibh!

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4434 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 591 of 646
23 January 2015 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
Hi Josquin, I have also had periods where language study was not a priority or I was less motivated. Still hope you will be around Team Pushkin though. We need you as our captain.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 592 of 646
27 January 2015 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
Hi Ogrim, thanks for your message! Yes, I'll be there for Team Pushkin, but I probably won't be a language learning role model this year. At the moment, I'm literally doing nothing in my languages and I don't expect that to change very soon.

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version