Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 65 ... 80 81 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 513 of 646
13 September 2013 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
I don't know where you were planning to stay. I camped for 10 euros at campsites often.
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 514 of 646
13 September 2013 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
I'm neither a fan of hitch-hiking nor of camping to be honest. I prefer nice little B&Bs or affordable hotels.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 515 of 646
13 September 2013 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
There's a good guesthouse in Reykjavik called Guesthouse Pávi.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 516 of 646
13 September 2013 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
I'm neither a fan of hitch-hiking nor of camping to be honest. I prefer nice little B&Bs or affordable hotels.

There's nothing bad in such approach; nevertheless, when I read something like that, I always think: "so rich and spoiled" :P
[Of course everyone can retort: "poor and irresponsible".]

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 517 of 646
15 September 2013 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
DIDÒMHNAICH, 15MH AN T-SULTAIN 2013

Yes! I finally finished Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache. I did the last three units today. I will have to repeat the vocabulary and maybe create an Anki deck, but I have learned all the grammar, read all the texts, and listened to all the audio.

The last three units were quite entertaining: unit 38 was a crime story, unit 39 an article on how whisky is produced, and unit 40 a classic Gaelic folk tale. Well, the article on making whisky had quite special vocabulary in it, but I think I can ignore most of it. Some words I didn't even know in their German translation. Unit 40 was much easier and there were three versions of the text recorded on the CD, in the dialects of Skye, South Uist, and Lewis. Quite interesting!

I will now go on studying Gaelic with BBC Alba's podcast Litir do Luchd-ionnsachaidh. A trip to Scotland is also on my to-do list. Other than that, I'm now in the same situation as a child in the candy store: What am I going to do after finishing two textbooks at the same time? I really don't know yet. I will start working on Learning Irish and Genki, but I also feel like studying something new. Well, I'll think about it and tell you as soon as I have decided.

However, I already have decided that I won't go to Iceland next year. I'll rather return to Ireland and maybe visit the UK for the first time.
2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 518 of 646
15 September 2013 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
I admire your ability to finish the course on the last page, not on the 20th.

Edited by prz_ on 15 September 2013 at 5:03pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4622 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 519 of 646
15 September 2013 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
DIDÒMHNAICH, 15MH AN T-SULTAIN 2013

Yes! I finally finished Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache. I did the last three
units today. I will have to repeat the vocabulary and maybe create an Anki deck, but I
have learned all the grammar, read all the texts, and listened to all the audio.

The last three units were quite entertaining: unit 38 was a crime story, unit 39 an
article on how whisky is produced, and unit 40 a classic Gaelic folk tale. Well, the
article on making whisky had quite special vocabulary in it, but I think I can ignore
most of it. Some words I didn't even know in their German translation. Unit 40 was much
easier and there were three versions of the text recorded on the CD, in the dialects of
Skye, South Uist, and Lewis. Quite interesting!

I will now go on studying Gaelic with BBC Alba's podcast Litir do Luchd-ionnsachaidh. A
trip to Scotland is also on my to-do list. Other than that, I'm now in the same
situation as a child in the candy store: What am I going to do after finishing two
textbooks at the same time? I really don't know yet. I will start working on Learning
Irish and Genki, but I also feel like studying something new. Well, I'll think about it
and tell you as soon as I have decided.

However, I already have decided that I won't go to Iceland next year. I'll rather
return to Ireland and maybe visit the UK for the first time.

Which is stronger, your Irish, or your Scottish Gaelic?

You could perhaps now think of going off on a slightly-related, but non-Celtic tangent,
and follow Iversen's example by studying Scots. For a German speaker who knows
Scandinavian languages and English, I think it should come naturally.

Or, staying with Celtic, Welsh beckons.... :-)
Then you'd have yet another country to visit where it always rains....:-) oops, I'm
not selling this very well, am I?

Seriously though, SSiW's 36 all-audio lessons of ~30 mins each for the intro course,
all free, would allow you to find out whether it's for you.

Edited by montmorency on 15 September 2013 at 8:11pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 520 of 646
15 September 2013 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
@prz_: If the course is good, I have no problem completing it. But I had another look at Learning Irish today and I doubt I could complete that. But more on that in a later post.

@montmorency: My Gaelic is definitely stronger. As I said, Colloquial Irish was very badly organized and I didn't get much out of it while Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache was very well-structured and comprehensive.

Scots doesn't really interest me. I can understand a lot of it and I see no use in learning how to speak it. I'm not so sure about getting back to Welsh either. I might rather take the chance and brush up my Italian a little bit before starting a new language. So, I can also visit some sunny countries... But you're right. I do have a soft spot for the rainy North! :)

I actually did the first lesson of SSiW some time ago, but they nearly drove me crazy: "Dwi'n siarad Cymraeg. Dwi'n hoffi siarad Cymraeg. Dwi'n trio siarad Cymraeg. Dwi'n hoffi trio siarad Cymraeg. Say it again..." Well, it was too much of a drill for me and I like working with books better.

But we'll see. I haven't decided for a new language yet, so anything's possible.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version