Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 80 81 Next >>
Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 25 of 646
11 May 2012 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
Loperamida wrote:
What does mean log?

Excuse me, how exactly can I help you? Don't you understand the word 'log' or my last entry? 'Log' is short for 'logbook'. In my log, I write down my language learning experiences. If you didn't understand my last entry, please indicate the passages which you didn't understand. I'm not going to re-tell my whole post here. In any case, a dictionary would have helped as well.
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 26 of 646
11 May 2012 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
Oh, believe me, it's not about the number of speakers - this "something else" has actually even less speakers than Icelandic, as same as my dream languages - Maltese and Luxembourgish and, of course, Slovenia and Macedonia aren't enormous countries too. So it's not the point :)

Oh yes, those small languages... Small but sexy! ;) I thought Icelandic was a small language with only 300.000 speakers. Now, I'm going for Faroese with 60.000... At least Russian has some more. ;)

csjc
Tetraglot
IcelandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5395 days ago

20 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Dutch
Studies: Norwegian, French, Japanese

Message 27 of 646
11 May 2012 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
SATURDAY, 5 MAY 2012

Góðan daginn!

Ég ætla að skrifa svolítið á íslensku núna þannig að allir vinirnir mínir geta séð að ég tala virkilega þetta mjög
fallega tungumál. Auk þess vil ég æfa mig áður enn ég byrja að læra rússnesku. Ég byrjaði að læra íslensku í júní
2011 með bókinni Colloquial Icelandic eftir Daisy L. Neymann. Það er mjög góð bók og ég mæli með þeirri
við alla nemendurna íslensku.

Margt manna segir að það sé ómögulegt að læra íslensku, en ég segi að það sé ekki eins erfitt og margir halda.
Ég get ekki enn talað íslensku svo gott af því að ég þarf hugsa svo mikið. Mig vanta stundum orð, en ég get sagt
það sem ég vil segja og ég skil mikið. Mér finnst voða gott að lesa á íslensku líka. Ég get einnig skrifað á íslensku
og það er líka mjög gaman.

Jæja, ég vona að þið líkið bloggsíðuna mína og ég mun skrifa bráðum aftur.

Bless!
Bye!

A few comments on your Icelandic: (really well done overall, though)

allir vinirnir mínir > allir vinir mínir ; although possessives generally take the article, it's more usual/natural to
say 'vinir mínir' in all contexts.

áður enn > en

ég mæli með þeirri > með henni ; þessi is a demonstrative pronoun, you could however say 'þeirri bók' and it
would be correct

við alla nemendurna íslensku > við alla (þá) sem læra íslensku (allar íslenskunemendur)

Margt manna > margir

talað íslensku svo gott > svo vel

að þið líkið > að ykkur líki... að líka takes a dative subject, and since you have vona here a subjunctive is called
for

Let me know if you have any questions about these corrections.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Loperamida
Bilingual Diglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4377 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English, French

Message 28 of 646
11 May 2012 at 7:31am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Loperamida wrote:
What does mean log?

Excuse me, how exactly can I help you? Don't you understand the word 'log' or my last entry? 'Log' is short
for 'logbook'. In my log, I write down my language learning experiences. If you didn't understand my last
entry, please indicate the passages which you didn't understand. I'm not going to re-tell my whole post here.
In any case, a dictionary would have helped as well.

Thanks, was only the meaning of the word. :)

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 29 of 646
11 May 2012 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
were there and watched the former Красная армия (Red Army) march by.

Unit 2 deals with the present tense of the e-conjugation and with the prepositive
singular. Both seem pretty simple and straightforward, but perhaps Марк is going to
tell me again how complicated they are in reality. Just kidding! ;) The prepositive
takes always the ending -e, only in a few cases it should be -и. I also learned the
accusative forms of the personal pronouns and how to form the patronymica (father's
names). But of course, I am going to repeat everything tomorrow, so I won't forget it.

It was the modern Russian army and other parts of armed forces which were marching, not
the Red Army.
There is such a thing as locative case. Some masculine nouns (about 150, but there are
very frequent among them) have a special form with prepositions в, на if they
mean location - stressed у. For example, год (year) - в годУ( but о гОде), пол (floor)
- на полУ and so on. There are also a few third declension nouns which have streesed
shift to the ending in the locative case - кровь (blood) - в кровИ, although о крОви.
One has to remember about the stress and fleeting vowels. So, on the chair - на стУле,
on the table - на столЕ, on the floor - на полУ.
в means in, на means on, but their usage is idiomatic of course, like in February but
on Sunday.

Edited by Марк on 11 May 2012 at 10:23am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 30 of 646
11 May 2012 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
csjc wrote:
Let me know if you have any questions about these corrections.

No questions at all! Thank you very much for your corrections.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 31 of 646
11 May 2012 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
It was the modern Russian army and other parts of armed forces which were marching, not the Red Army.

I did not want to say the modern Russian army was the same as the Red Army. I just said it was the former Red Army, which of course doesn't exist anymore. Sorry, if that was politically incorrect.

Марк wrote:
There is such a thing as locative case. Some masculine nouns (about 150, but there are
very frequent among them) have a special form with prepositions в, на if they
mean location - stressed у. For example, год (year) - в годУ( but о гОде), пол (floor)
- на полУ and so on. There are also a few third declension nouns which have streesed
shift to the ending in the locative case - кровь (blood) - в кровИ, although о крОви.
One has to remember about the stress and fleeting vowels. So, on the chair - на стУле,
on the table - на столЕ, on the floor - на полУ.
в means in, на means on, but their usage is idiomatic of course, like in February but
on Sunday.

Thank you very much for your explanations. I think my textbook deals with the locative on -у, but only after a few more lessons. Stress in Russian is a real pain in the neck. I don't know how to learn the stress pattern for every word. I guess this can only be learned by experience... Thanks for your information on в and на. I'm still trying to figure out when to use which.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 32 of 646
11 May 2012 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
FRIDAY, 11 MAY 2012

Oh, Russian!

What did I do to you? I betrayed you again - and this time even worse.

Today, I neglected my Russian studies again and dabbled happily in Faroese. I collected Lockwood's Introduction to Modern Faroese from the university library and skimmed it through. The most difficult part about Faroese is obviously the pronunciation. Faroese orthography is absolutely etymological, so there are lots of rules for pronunciation - even worse than in Icelandic, nearly as bad as in Danish or English.

The grammar, on the other hand, seems to be a watered-down version of Icelandic grammar. There's almost no difference as far as nouns and adjectives are concerned, only the genitive has gone out of use. Some pronouns are different and the verbal system is simplified, but that's it. So, learning Faroese would only be a matter of memorizing new vocabulary and the pronunciation rules, in exchange I would be able to communicate with 60.000 inhabitants of the "Sheep Islands" and to read the traditional Faroese ballads.

Well, I don't think it's worth the trouble, but maybe I'll change my mind some day. Today, I only translated the song Handa Mjørkan ('Beyond the Fog'), which I mentioned yesterday, with the help of an online dictionary. It's really a very poetic and moving song which deals with difficult decisions we have to make and big steps we have to take in life - 'through the fog' and towards our true inner self.

As a consequence, I didn't study Russian at all. I think I'm going to repeat yesterday's lesson and then listen to the recordings one more time - and that's it for today.

Edited by Josquin on 18 May 2012 at 4:56pm

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version