Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 41 ... 80 81 Next >>
Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 321 of 646
09 February 2013 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
Why is agam used for “my”?
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 322 of 646
09 February 2013 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
Because I don't know the possessive pronouns yet. ;)

Anyway, as far as I know the possessive pronouns are only used for irresolvable possessive relations such as kinship or body parts. Everything else has to be expressed by the prepositional pronouns of "aig" (agam, agad, aige, aice, againn, agaibh, aca). Apparently, it's even possible to indicate relationship by using "aig".

Edited by Josquin on 09 February 2013 at 9:25pm

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4398 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 323 of 646
09 February 2013 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Why is agam used for “my”?

Edited to include info on the possessives:

Agam translates directly as "at me" (aig+mi= agam). To translate "my house" you
can say "An taigh agam" (The house at me), or "mo thaigh" (My house).

The first few possessive pronouns are:
mo= my
do= your
a= his
a= her

The possessives change the beginning of the noun that follows, here are a few examples
of them. Look for the "h"

Noun= taigh (house)

Mo thaigh= My house
An taigh agam= My house

Do thaigh= Your house
An taigh agat= Your house

A thaigh= his house
An taigh aige= his house

A taigh= her house
An taigh aice= her house

Notice the difference between his and her (both "a") , his lenites the following
noun while her doesn't

To place emphasis you could also say, "Mo thaigh-se", which is similar to the Irish ,
"Mo theachsa", but that's for another day!

Edited by liammcg on 09 February 2013 at 8:46pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 324 of 646
09 February 2013 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
agam is у меня at a new level. We had a discussion here about when to use мой and when to
use у меня in Russian.
In Irish possession can be expressed with do, like teach dom, but it means one of my
houses, I think. Ar is used when something is inseparable: Tá fallaí buí ar an dtigh.
(What I write about Irish is assumptions, not firm statements).

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 325 of 646
13 February 2013 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
WEDNESDAY, 13 FEBRUARY 2013

Well, thanks for these interesting insights into the intricacies of Gaelic possessive pronouns. It seems like there will be a lot to learn. I'm working on unit 7 of Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache right now, which deals with a bunch of prepositions and their usage, and I think Gaelic is difficult in this regard, too. Many prepositions have several probable meanings and sometimes they change their form depending on the word they precede -- and I'm not even talking about the numerous prepositional pronouns that can be derived.

Concerning Russian, I have continued with unit 18 in Colloquial Russian. While I still don't know all of the vocabulary that is needed for the translation exercises, I already did the grammar exercises. Forming the active participles of verbs confronts me with the problem that I'm often a bit unsure about the present tense forms from which the present active participle is derived. The past active participle is easier, because it's derived from the past tense. Well, a good exercise in conjugating anyway!

I haven't been reading Icelandic for some days now, because I didn't really have the leisure to read, but tomorrow I'll have what Germans call "die Qual der Wahl" ('the agony of choosing'). I'll have to decide whether I want to read Hrafnkels Saga, Madame Bovary, Wuthering Heights, or rather some non-fiction from my linguistic books. In addition, my copy of Praktisches Lehrbuch Italienisch has arrived, so I might do some Italian during the next time. My basic grammar is still quite good, but I have forgotten a lot of vocabulary, idiomatic expressions, and advanced structures, so I want to work on that. After all, the last time I actively used my Italian was 10 years ago!

Edited by Josquin on 13 February 2013 at 7:07pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 326 of 646
15 February 2013 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
FRIDAY, 15 FEBRUARY 2013

Okay, today I got a lot done. I managed to study all my three main target languages and additionally a little bit of Italian.

First of all, Russian: I have finished lesson 18 by doing the translation exercises. Moreover, I have downloaded Anki and created my first cards, because I wasn't able to retain the more abstract vocabulary of the advanced units by going my usual way. So, I decided to give Anki a try, and as far as I can tell by now it works out pretty well. I have also begun lesson 19, which is about economy and the passive participles. Unfortunately, the frequently used past passive participle has rather complicated rules for its formation, while the rare present passive participle has only one (!) very easy rule, so I'll have to cram some grammar tomorrow.

I also decided that I'm working too much on text basis at the moment, so I LR'ed the first two chapters of a Russian version of The Little Prince (Маленький принц) on the internet (Thanks, Arekkusu, for this idea!), listened to some dialogues of my Langenscheidt course, and did some pronunciation exercises. I haven't made a recording of myself, so I'll show you my usual translation exercises instead:

1) В России есть закон, запрещающий использование женского труда в тяжёлых условиях. Однако всё ещё есть много предприятий, нарушающих это правило и использующих женский труд в таких условиях.

2) Конференция, состоявшаяся недавно, выла очень интересная. Обсуждались многие проблемы, особенно тяжёлое положение работающей женщины-матери.

3) Перемены, происшедшие в России, имеют огромные последствия для всего мира.

4) Моей дочери не нравится жизнь в деревне. Она говорит, что там нечего делать, некуда идти вечером, не с кем играть в теннис и не с кем разговаривать. Но когда мы приезжаем в Москву, она никогда никуда не ходит, никогда ни с кем не играет в теннис и никогда ни с кем не разговаривает. Она просто сидит во своей комнате и ничего не делает.

Finally, I have a question. What exactly does the following sentence mean:

В Конституции тоже говорится, что социальной политикой государства является забота о работающей женщине-матери.

I understand the words, I recognize the cases, but I don't understand how the sentence works. I especially don't understand the role the instrumental case of социальной политикой plays in this sentence and how it works together with является забота. Could you shed some light on this, Марк?

Besides Russian, I also did some Gaelic and Icelandic today. I finished lesson 7 in Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache and had a short look at lesson 8, which will elaborate on prepositions and the dative case (especially concerning the definite article). Furthermore, I read four pages of Hrafnkels Saga without looking up every unknown wourd but rather going for the gist of the story. It worked quite well. Here are some sentences I translated from German into Gaelic today:

Tha Iain a' bruidhinn ri Màiri. Tha Calum a dràibheadh ann an càr bho Dhùn Èideann gu Pheairt. Bha an cat fo bhòrd. Tha airgead gu leòr agam. Tha sinn a' dol a Phort Rìgh agus a Bharraigh. Chan eil an taigh a' còrdadh ri Màiri. Tha Iain à Glaschu. An robh thu ann an Leòdhas? Cha robh, bha i fuar an sin. Tha iad ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig ann an Glaschu. Tha an ceòl a' còrdadh ri Niall.

Last but not least, I did some revisions in Italian, but that's not really worth mentioning it. It felt good to do something in this language again though. I hope I'll have the time to do more, so my Italian might become presentable once again.

Edited by Josquin on 15 February 2013 at 9:36pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 327 of 646
15 February 2013 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
в своей and произошедших
The verb являться requires the instrumental case for the predicate. The subject is in the
nom. as usual. So, забота is the subject, политикой is the predicate. Care is a policy.
The same happens with the verb стать and with the verb быть sometimes.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 328 of 646
15 February 2013 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, that's very helpful! But what's the difference between происшедший and произошедший? My dictionary says both exist.

By the way, why should it be произошедших? In the sentence, it's nominative plural.

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version