Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 42 ... 80 81 Next >>
Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 329 of 646
15 February 2013 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Yes, произошедшие. It was my mistake. Происшедший doesn't sound right for me.
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 330 of 646
15 February 2013 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
Происшедший would be pronounced without the c. Произойти - произошёл - произошедший.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 331 of 646
17 February 2013 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
SUNDAY, 17 FEBRUARY 2013

Okay, just a very short update. I have continued my studies of unit 19 in Colloquial Russian and unit 8 in Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache, but I haven't done any exercises yet. The dative forms of the Gaelic definite article aren't half as difficult as I thought, because they're the same for masculine and feminine nouns and correspond exactly with the pattern for the feminine nominative. The prepositions are also quite straightforward, as soon as you're acquainted to some quirks. Moreover, I have managed to memorize the rules for the formation of the Russian past passive participle (except stress) and I have read another six pages of Hrafnkels Saga, sometimes with the help of a German translation when necessary.

I also have decided to postpone my Italian brush-up until I have finished Colloquial Russian. Studying too much different grammar at the same time is too confusing and doesn't get me anywhere. Oh yes, I nearly forgot: I rewatched an episode of Viltu læra íslensku? yesterday. Thanks to the subtitles, I could understand about 95 % of the dialogues. Without them, it would have been notably less, but I think my overall understanding of spoken Icelandic has nevertheless improved.

Other than that, I have mainly been listening to the gorgeous Gaelic folk songs that are on YouTube. Some of them are unbelievably good and breathtakingly beautiful!

Edited by Josquin on 21 February 2013 at 6:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 332 of 646
21 February 2013 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
THURSDAY, 21 FEBRUARY 2013

I have finished unit 19 in Colloquial Russian and unit 8 in Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache. While the Russian passive participles are relatively straightforward once you know how to form them, Gaelic prepositions are a bit more complicated. It's relatively easy to understand them passively, but it gets a bit confusing when you have to use them actively.

The lenition rules which exist for some prepositions and for the definite article in the dative can easily be mixed up, so I kept asking myself whether the noun takes an h or not. I would have liked to do some more exercises for that, but unfortunately there were only a few. Perhaps, I'll write out some paradigms on my own. By the way, Anki is really a great tool for learning vocabulary. I'm using it regularly now. Concerning Icelandic, I haven't been doing anything for the last few days.

By the way, I nearly forgot: I have ordered a bunch of Russian books, such as Kirschbaum's Grammatik der russischen Sprache, Glazunova's Грамматика русского языка в упражнениях и комментариях, and three bilingual German-Russian readers with Russian short stories. Moreover, I have ordered Baker's Introduction to Old English. I had some money left from Christmas and I simply couldn't resist...

Anyway, I did some translation exercises that I would like to show you as usual:

Русский

1) Транссибирская железная дорога была построена в прошлом веке, точнее она была начата в 1883 (тысяча восемьсот восемьдесят третьем) году и окончена в 1916 (тысяча девятьсот шестнадцатом) году. Много было написано об этой железной дороге, построенной в Сибири в тяжелейших условиях.

2) Первая свободная экономическая зона была создана недалеко от Петербурга. Многие проблемы ещё не разрешены.

3) Так называемый промышленный центр оказался маленьким деревенским городом только с одним многоэтажным зданием. Это здание раньше было занято местным Советом. Многие новые предприятия здесь должны быть построены.

4) Приглашение на съезд было послано неделю назад, но только вчера оно было получено.

Gàidhlig

Tha mi ann an Glaschu. Tha Màiri anns a' Ghearasdan. Tha Mìcheal às a' Ghearmailt agus tha Iain à Alba. Tha Tòmas às a' Chuimrigh agus tha e a' dol a Shasainn. Tha e brèagha ann an Sasainn. Tha Màiri a' dol bhon Eilean Sgitheanach don Ghearasdan. Anns a' Ghearasdan tha i a' dol do bhùth agus tha i a' ceannachadh leabhar. Tha Alasdair anns a' bhùth cuideachd. Tha Alasdair às an Òban agus tha e a' dol don Fhraing. Bidh e ag ionnsachadh Fraingis anns an Fhraing. Tha Seònag anns an sgoil anns an Òban. Tha i ag ionnsachadh Gearmailtis an sin.

Edited by Josquin on 21 February 2013 at 6:42pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 333 of 646
21 February 2013 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
"деревенский город" - оксюморон.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 334 of 646
21 February 2013 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
"деревенский город" - оксюморон.

Ну, тогда "провинциальный город", возможно, лучше?

Edited by Josquin on 21 February 2013 at 7:18pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 335 of 646
21 February 2013 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Безусловно.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 336 of 646
23 February 2013 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
SATURDAY, 23 FEBRUARY 2013

Hooray! I have finished lesson 20 in Colloquial Russian, which means I have finished the entire course as well. I still have to learn the vocabulary, which I will enter into Anki soon, but I have learned the grammar (mainly gerunds) and done the exercises. I will continue my Russian studies by consuming easy native materials: bilingual readers, podcasts, etc. If I should have the desire for more formal learning, I still have Colloquial Russian 2 on the shelf, but it mainly contains non-fictional informative texts with rather advanced vocabulary, so I'll still leave it on the shelf for a while.

Other than that, I have also finished lesson 9 in Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache. I still have to learn some vocabulary here as well, but I have learned the possessive pronouns together with the prepositional pronouns of "de" and done the exercises. Gaelic possessive pronouns are somewhat difficult, because they can affect the noun they define in several ways. One way is lenition (concerns mo = my, do = your (sg.), and a = his), prefixing an h, if the noun begins with a vowel (concerns a = her), and prefixing an n, if the noun begins with a vowel (concerns ar = our and ur = your (pl.)). Moreover, the possessive pronoun a = his is omitted, if the noun begins with a vowel, and an/am = they is nearly identical with the definite article!

So, this can be a bit confusing, but I hope I have memorized the pattern for now. Here are my translation exercises for today:

Русский

1) Работая на Крайнем Севере, он понял как трудно было там жить. Но привыкнув к этой жизни, он решил остаться на другой год.

2) Доехав до промышленного района, мы решили вернуться в гостиницу. Возвращаясь, мы говорили об экологической ситуации.

3) Вернувшись из своего путешествия на Сахалин, Питер начал работать с новым энтузиазмом. Встретив так много молодых русских предпринимателей, он начал думать о совместном предприятии.

4) Стоя в бесконечных очередях, разговаривая с русскими и видя цены в магазинах, она начала понимать проблемы в стране.

5) Окончив университет и став учительницей, она поехала работать в деревне. Но увидев примитивные условия и испытав всю тяжесть жизни там, она вернулась в город.

Gàidhlig

Tha m' athair a' fuireach ann an Dùn Èideann. Tha d' athair a' fuireach anns an Òban. Tha mo chòta anns an t-seòmar-suidhe. Tha mi fuar. Tha mi a' cur mo gheansaidh orm. Tha a màthair a' dràibheadh don Eilean Sgitheanach a dh' Inbhir Nis. Tha a bhràthair anns an taigh-òsta agus tha e ag òl uisge-beatha. Tha sinn ag obair anns an oifis againn. Tha ar n-athair tinn. Tha briogais air athair. Tha ur nighean anns an sgoil agus tha am mac aig an taigh.

Edited by Josquin on 24 February 2013 at 9:45pm

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version