Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 44 ... 80 81 Next >>
Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 345 of 646
15 March 2013 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
Great work, Josquin! And thank you for trying to keep the flock inspired and motivated. Congratulations on your 1000 post, and posts with good content too! I will be reading your log again to get inspiration from it.

1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 346 of 646
15 March 2013 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for dropping by, Cristina. Good to see you back! I'll post a new update of my learning activities tomorrow, although there won't be much to report. I have been busy with other things.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 347 of 646
16 March 2013 at 2:54am | IP Logged 
Russian salad for starters, followed by Scottish Gaelic stew and Japanese umeboshi for afters...not to mention all those other linguistic nibbles in-between meals...you get a big thumbs up from me! :) I hope you continue to make lots of progress, particularly with your core languages in the TAC, and here's that inspiring clip of Prof. Arguelles' linguistic daily workout once again to keep us both going over the next month.

Edited by Teango on 16 March 2013 at 2:56am

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 348 of 646
16 March 2013 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
SATURDAY, 16 MARCH 2013

Thanks, Teango, for dropping by! Yes, my linguistic smörgåsbord has become quite polyglot over the last few months, but thank God I don't have to submit myself to such a rigorous discipline as the Professor yet. In fact, I have been quite lazy for the last few days, because I have been busy with other activities. Fortunately, I managed to dedicate myself entirely to studying languages today.

Русский

I read the text about Novgorod in my Russian reader and I will enter the new words into Anki. I managed to do my daily vocabulary reviews, so this is going quite well. Additionally, I'm still working on podcasts from Radio Эхо Москвы. There is an interesting programme, called Lingua Franca, which examines the status of the Russian language in the post-Soviet states. So far, I have downloaded the episodes about Kazakhstan and Ukraine.

Moreover, I've been listening to less advanced stuff from russianpodcast.eu, which is very good for getting more conversational vocabulary, and I've become interested in the Soviet novelist Mikhail Sholokhov, especially his novel Тихий Дон ("And Quiet Flows the Don"), which I found on the Internet. I tried to read the first chapter, but there were sentences where I had to look up every single word. I will nevertheless keep working on it it with the help of an English translation, but I'm far from reading it fluently. Unfortunately, the German edition is out of print, otherwise I would already have bought it, but maybe I can find a good second-hand copy.

Gàidhlig

I started working on unit 12 in Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache. It's all about numbers, counting up to 20, and telling the time. It also mentions the dual, which seems to have survived in Gaelic. So far, I have read the dialogue and listened to the recordings, but that's it. Furthermore, I have found the interesting podcast Litir Bheag from BBC Radio nan Gàidheal, which I will start listening to when my Gaelic is more advanced.

Íslenska

I have read chapter 6 of Hrafnkels Saga. The Nordic sagas are real masterpieces in depicting the tragic downfalls of their anti-heroes. All is about honour, pride, and vengeance and no deed remains unpunished. I really like it although I ought to work more intensively on it. At the moment, I'm just going for the gist ignoring the odd unknown words that come up now and then. Maybe, I'll go for a second, more thorough round when I have read the whole saga once and know the story.

日本語

I'm still busy with unit 1 in Colloquial Japanese. I have done all the exercises and I somehow managed not to forget the kanji and kana that I've learned so far. Nevertheless, studying Japanese requires very much time and I wonder if it is really suited for dabbling. The foreign writing system as well as the non-Indo-European vocabulary and grammar take their toll and I don't know if I really want to invest that much time and effort in it. Well, we'll see how things work out.

Edited by Josquin on 16 March 2013 at 8:48pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 349 of 646
16 March 2013 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
When I read Тихий Дон, I found many new words, most of them I could guess at least
approximately, but the meaning of some of them I couldn't guess.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 350 of 646
17 March 2013 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
SUNDAY, 17 MARCH 2013

I have been studying languages all day. I reread my text about Novgorod and entered the new words into Anki, then I listened to Russian Podcast. I started on unit 2 in Colloquial Japanese and repeated unit 12 in Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache. Finally, I finished reading Hrafnkels Saga. Now, the day is over and after having eaten I will watch Mad Men in English.

Русский

Сегодня я много занимался языками. На русском языке я ещё раз прочитал текст о Новгороде и потом ввёл новые слова в Анки. Их было очень много, поэтому мне нужно будет ими долго заниматься, чтобы их выучить. Я также послушал подкаст о русской семье на сайте russianpodcast.eu, но ничего не читал из "Тихого Дона" Шолохова. Мне кажется, это слышком рано, чтобы читать русскую литературу, особенно эту книгу, которую читать даже русскам трудно, если верить Марку.

Gàidhlig

Bha mi ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig an-diugh. Bha mi a' leughadh an t-aonad a dhà dheug. Bha mi a' leughadh an còmhradh agus ag èisteachd ris a' mheanbh-chlàr. Tha mi ag innse na h-uarach a-nise.

Íslenska

Ég er búinn að lesa Hrafnkels sögu. Það var mjög spennandi saga og mér líkaði hún vel. Ég veit ennþá ekki ef ég mun lesa hana aftur til að skilja hana betur og að læra meira orð. Eða kannski mun ég bara lesa aðra sögu úr bókinni.

日本語

As I already said, I have also started on unit 2 in Colloquial Japanese. This unit will primarily deal with introducing oneself and telling where you are from. There are 15 new hiragana to learn and 5 more kanji: 日 国 人 語 英. I have already started to practise writing them. There are some more katakana as well, but I will learn them later. I'll try to write something in Japanese now:

こんにちは。 私はクリスチアンです。 ド イツ人です。 今、日本語を習っています。 さよなら。

Konnichi wa. Watashi wa Kurisutian desu. Doitsujin desu. Ima, Nihongo o naratte imasu. Sayonara.
Hello. I'm Christian. I'm German. Now, I'm learning Japanese. Goodbye.

EDIT: It seems the forum software is having some problems with Japanese text...

Edited by Josquin on 17 March 2013 at 8:24pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 351 of 646
17 March 2013 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:

Русский

Сегодня я много занимался языками. На русском языке я ещё раз прочитал текст о
Новгороде и потом ввёл новые слова в Анки. Их было очень много, поэтому мне нужно будет
ими долго заниматься, чтобы их выучить. Я также послушал подкаст о русской семье на
сайте russianpodcast.eu, но ничего не читал из "Тихого Дона" Шолохова. Мне кажется, это
слышком рано, чтобы читать русскую литературу, особенно эту книгу, которую читать даже
русскам трудно, если верить Марку.

Мне кажется, что мне ещё слишком рано читать русскую литературу, особенно эту книгу,
которую, если верить Марку, даже русским читать трудно.
Русская классика вся трудная, надо, может, с детективов современных начинать. Хотя я не
знаю.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 352 of 646
17 March 2013 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
Спасибо, это предложение беспокоило меня. Кстати, я слышал, что Агата Кристи читается легче, чем другая литература. Может быть, я когда-нибудь попробую её читать на русском языке. Сейчас мне хватает моих русско-немецких текстов. У меня три книги с ними.

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version