Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 80 81 Next >>
Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 1 of 646
04 May 2012 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
TAC 2013 starts on page 37.

TAC 2014 can be found in this log.

TAC 2015 starts on page 72.

FRIDAY, 4 MAY 2012

Здравствуйте! So it is on!

I've just ordered my Langenscheidt Russian course from Amazon, that means Josquin will learn Russian!

After having brought my Icelandic to an intermediate level, I thought it was time for a new language. Russian has been intriguing me for a long time, and now the time has come. I already know the Cyrillic alphabet and am aware of what lies ahead of me: palatalized consonants, six nominal cases, two verbal aspects, declinable numerals and so on. But complex languages are not new to me: I've learned Latin and Icelandic and, for some time, I dabbled in Ancient Greek. But it's my first Slavic language, so: challenge accepted!

I am really looking forward to Monday when my course will - hopefully - arrive. I will document my language learning journey in this log and I will also report about my advances in Icelandic, if I have the time and resources to continue my studies in this fascinating Nordic language. I hope I can count on your advice, if I struggle on my journey! That's it for now.

Greetings and have a nice weekend!

Edit Post

Edited by Josquin on 02 January 2015 at 1:47pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 646
04 May 2012 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
Russian and Icelandic: two loves of mine. I haven't yet started Icelandic (I don't know when I will) but I will read this log with interest because Icelandic is a language that I must learn before I die :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4496 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 3 of 646
04 May 2012 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Russian and Icelandic: two loves of mine. I haven't yet started Icelandic (I don't know when I will) but I will read this log with interest because Icelandic is a language that I must learn before I die :)

I almost thought that was your log =P

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4484 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 4 of 646
04 May 2012 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
Russian and Icelandic are both crazy, beautiful languages. I wish you lots of success!
3 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4640 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 5 of 646
04 May 2012 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
Icelandic... I don't know what's in this language (and even more in Faroese since it's even more myserious that makes me feel... excited? Maybe it's the most proper word.
Could you tell me how was your way to achieve mastership in basic Icelandic?

Edited by prz_ on 04 May 2012 at 7:00pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 6 of 646
04 May 2012 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
Could you tell me how was your way to achieve mastership in basic Icelandic?

I simply worked through Daisy L. Neijmann's Colloquial Icelandic. After that, I worked a bit on grammar with Bruno Kress's Isländische Grammatik. Additionally, I watched Viltu læra íslensku?, an informative and entertaining programme for learners of Icelandic.

I can't say I'm perfect, but I have a good grasp of the grammar and a basic vocabulary. I can understand spoken Icelandic quite well, which is not easy, because Icelandic is normally spoken rather fast. The written language is more difficult because of the complexity of Icelandic. Especially the vast vocabulary makes it hard to understand even newspaper articles, let alone literature.

Icelandic is a very beautiful and fascinating language. I specially like the fact that one can read Old Norse sagas quite easily based on a knowledge of modern Icelandic. The only problem is that there are apparently no materials for intermediate learners, so I don't know how to continue my studies at the moment. That's a partial reason why I'm going to concentrate on Russian now. There are far more materials available for Russian than for Icelandic, but I'll try to go on with Icelandic anyway.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4640 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 7 of 646
05 May 2012 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
Quote:
The only problem is that there are apparently no materials for intermediate learners, so I don't know how to continue my studies at the moment

Hmmm...
https://icelandic.hi.is/iol4.php?111
http://tungumalatorg.is/ifa/bok-4/
Too easy for you?

And well, I would recommend something what's actually not very original - to find a language partner. From my experience couchsurfing is a great way to find someone who could help you with pleasure. Even if it fails, you won't lose anything.

One more question - what was your method to compass the Icelandic declension?

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 8 of 646
05 May 2012 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:

https://icelandic.hi.is/iol4.php?111
http://tungumalatorg.is/ifa/bok-4/
Too easy for you?

I knew about these resources, but I never really had a look at them. Is the course from Háskóli Íslands good? I don't feel like registering without knowing what I get.

Íslenska fyrir alla might be worthwile... The dialogues look rather simple from the grammatical point of view, but they might be a good resource for learning vocabulary, which is my weak point at the moment. Thanks!

prz_ wrote:

And well, I would recommend something what's actually not very original - to find a language partner. From my experience couchsurfing is a great way to find someone who could help you with pleasure. Even if it fails, you won't lose anything.

Might be difficult to find an Icelander in the part of Germany that I live in, but I'll keep that in mind.

prz_ wrote:

One more question - what was your method to compass the Icelandic declension?

I just learned them the way they were presented in Colloquial Icelandic. I started with the most important declension types and later added less frequent types. Daisy L. Neijmann really presents the grammar in a very pleasant and didactical way.

However, this doesn't mean I know exactly how to decline every word I learned. Feminine and neuter nouns are rather simple, but masculine declensions can be very confusing. Learning the appropriate genitive and dative singular and nominative plural of each noun is a time consuming affair. I shied away from that a little bit, so I can recognize all endings, but I can't necessarily apply them correctly on every word actively.

Same for strong and irregular verbs: I can recognize a lot of them, but when I want to use them actively I still have to look many of them up. I guess perfectionizing these grammatical points would be a great step on my way to fluency, but I'm only on a lower intermediate level right now.

Edited by Josquin on 05 May 2012 at 8:46am

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version