Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 39 ... 80 81 Next >>
Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5141 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 305 of 646
28 January 2013 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
I wish you’ll get better soon!

And don’t stress too much about studying: your health and well-being must be your priorities right now.

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 306 of 646
29 January 2013 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
MONDAY, 28 JANUARY 2013

Okay, this hasn't been a good month for studying. Although I did some Russian and
Gaelic, it was so little that I won't even report about it in detail. I have started
unit 17 in Colloquial Russian and unit 6 in Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache.
My Icelandic studies consisted of two paragraphs I read in E. V. Gordons Introduction
to Old Norse.

I won't go into detail as to why I haven't managed to study more, but let's say I had
to deal with some recurring health problems of which I had thought they were already
history. Well, additionally to my obligations as a musician and my daily work that was
just the straw which broke the camel's back. So, instead of studying I had to ease my
mind, take some long walks, read some good books, listen to gentle music.

So, partially a bad start into the new year, but I hope things will get better now. As
soon as I feel like my old self again, I'll get back to Russian, Gaelic, and Icelandic.
I'm really missing my grammar points and vocab lists, so I can't wait. I wanted to work
on unit 17 of Colloquial Russian yesterday, but as it's all about healthcare and being
ill that wasn't such a good idea.

I hope I can report better news soon!

Being ill sucks, it's part of the reason I haven't graduated yet. Don't blame yourself.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 307 of 646
29 January 2013 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for all your encouragement! I appreciate it very much and I hope things will get better soon.

(Wow, this is my 900th post. Yay! ;))

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5879 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 308 of 646
29 January 2013 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Ich habe hin und wieder Blutdruckprobleme. Normaleweise bringt mich Sport immer ins Gleichgewicht. Leider liegt noch Eis und Matsch auf dem Weg aber einen Spaziergang reicht. Es hilft wirklich, einen Gang runterzuschalten! Du findest deinen Rhythmus sicher bald.

Glückwünsch, 900! d(-_^)

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5587 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 309 of 646
29 January 2013 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations with 900! I like a lot your log

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 310 of 646
01 February 2013 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
FRIDAY, 01 FEBRUARY 2012

Thanks to all for your kind words! I'm finally back to studying, and I hope this time I'm back for good. I worked through unit 17 in Colloquial Russian and unit 6 in Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache. I haven't done the exercises yet, but I think I'll do them over the weekend.

Unit 17 is full with new vocabulary concerning health, medicine, and healthcare, so I'll have to chew on this massive input of new words. The grammar is rather easy, as the main point of the unit is the superlative of adjectives and adverbs. I already knew the superlative with самый, but I didn't know that one can also use the ending -ейший/-айший. Adverbs don't have a superlative, instead you have to use a construction with comparative + всех. Of course, some adjectives have irregular superlatives, but I still have to learn them.

I also made a recording of myself reading out lesson 16 from Colloquial Russian. Please feel free to comment on my pronunciation: Lesson 16 on SoundCloud.

Concerning Gaelic, I repeated a few units and then concentrated on unit 6. I listened to the dialogue and read it through. There is some unknown vocabulary, but not much. The grammar is quite easy, as it deals with the future tense of "bi", expressing possession with "aig", and the prepositional pronouns of "air". The thing that irritates me most about Gaelic is the different way of phrasing thoughts. Although the Celtic languages belong to the Indo-European family, they seem to be quite unique as far as grammar and syntax are concerned.

I even did some Icelandic, as I reread some chapters from Hrafnkels Saga. I think I'll get back to it, as I started translating it but never really finished. Maybe I'll just read it with the help of the glossary instead of really translating every sentence, because that would be a bit time-consuming. I'm glad to see that my Icelandic can be actually be used, because I never really worked that hard on it. However, my plan to increase my active skills stands. As soon as I have the time, I will do some excercises in Langenscheidts Praktisches Lehrbuch Isländisch and probably post them here.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 311 of 646
01 February 2013 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:

The thing that irritates me most about Gaelic is the different way of phrasing thoughts.
Although the Celtic languages belong to the Indo-European family, they seem to be quite
unique as far as grammar and syntax are concerned.

But doesn't it make them attractive? Instead of saying I'm sad to say "Sadness is on me"
and so on?

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 312 of 646
01 February 2013 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
Yes, of course. It's very interesting, but it needs some time getting used to. At this point, it just doesn't feel natural yet to think this way. I still have to internalize those concepts and ways of expression. Let alone the fact that there is something like the "relative future" of the verb...

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version