Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 52 ... 80 81 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 409 of 646
01 May 2013 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Nobody would understand a Frisian fisherman. Frisian is a separate language and is
taught in schools as a separate language - it's more closely related to English than to
Dutch, genetically speaking (substratum influences both ways have ensured that some
mutual intelligibility with Dutch exists). If a Brabantian farmer talks to me, I will
definitely understand (not least because I grew up listening to the thing), but I can't
speak it back. This is the case for most dialects if they're not too obscure or weird
(Low Saxon dialects, Limbourg dialects, strange local Belgian dialects like in West
Flanders...).

But Frisian is a whole different kettle of fish and it's so different that them lot
have their own rights, languages. It's an official language of the country, and every
Frisian has the right to conduct all official business in Frisian (given they are in
Frisia). One member of parliament took the national oath (swearing fealty to our new
king) in Frisian. People are still wondering whether that is legal but she did anyway.

Note that Frisians have some of the strongest Dutch accents. Almost all of them are
bilingual. Note also that this is West Frisian (Westlauwers Fries), related to your
German Saterland Frisian and such.
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 410 of 646
02 May 2013 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Okay, then it's probably the same situation as in Germany. Only
intellectuals and actors speak real Hochdeutsch, everyone else has a more or less
perceivable regional accent. So, I probably wouldn't be able to understand a Frisian
fisherman or a Brabantian farmer if they bumbled along in their regional accents at
full speed, but at least Standard Dutch is quite easy for me. In fact, it's a bit
similar to my proficiency in Swiss German: I understand most of it if spoken clearly,
but I can't speak it for the life of me.

Марк wrote:
А можно сказать по-немецки Die rechtwinkligen Straßen или Die Straßen sind
rechtwinklig?

After giving it a second thought, I doubt it now. "Die Straßen sind rechtwinklig" would
mean every single street was rectangular, which wouldn't make any sense. The best
expression would be "Die Straßen verlaufen im rechten Winkel" or "Die Straßen verlaufen
rechtwinklig zueinander".

In fact, I'd like to drop this topic now, because I obviously just used a sloppy
expression without thinking too much about it.

Спасибо!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 411 of 646
02 May 2013 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I know Frisian is a language on its own. I even watched Prof. Arguelles's introductory video for Frisian. I rather thought of a Frisian fisherman speaking Dutch with a Frisian accent. Sorry for not expressing myself clearly enough.

I'm quite good at imitating German accents, so I might try talking back to a Saxon or a Bavarian, but I'd be lost if they spoke real dialect. Especially Low German (which actually is a language, not a dialect) and Swiss-German are extremely difficult. I myself speak High German with a little Westphalian accent now and then, but it only shows when I'm talking to people from my home region.

But let me get back to Dutch: I don't really have any experience talking Dutch to real people, but at least listening to the TV is really easy, sometimes easier than listening to Swedish. In my home region, there used to be a lot of Dutch tourists and they were quite easy to understand, too.

Well, I think it's no wonder if you take into account how closely related Dutch and German are. And we Germans have the advantage that Dutch morphology is less complex than our own. That makes understanding a bit easier as well. Of course, you have to learn some Dutch vocabulary, but a lot of words can be derived from Low German, English, or French.

@Марк: Не за что.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 412 of 646
02 May 2013 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
A Frisian fisherman speaking Frisian with a Dutch accent would sound funny in any case,
Frisian accents sound hilarious to my ears. The only thing is that if they do then the
Dutch is bound to be very standardized because of the languages being so different (so
you can't mix as easily as you would with some dialect).

It's ok, no offense taken. Frisian is a minority language, and it's pretty much the
least densely populated area of the country. Some Frisians also just speak Dutch at
home. My first name derives from Frisian, actually (it's not a Dutch name). The
Frisians have quite a strong identity and there are many things we would consider very
typical of Frisia (cows, lakes, speed skating, some sports particular to the area).
They've got the reputation of being stubborn Nordic types (blonde, usually). I'm not
Frisian (my heritage is southern) but everyone likes Frisians. The funniest thing about
that accent is the vowel changes and the extremely dark l they have.

Haha, I can imitate a few accents, but it would sound patronising if I spoke them back
I guess. I might be able to get away with a light Brabantian accent).

The tourists, did they speak Dutch, or did they speak some kind of Dutch/German hybrid?
For the people here who have forgotten their school German (all of us learn German
pretty much), what they generally do is Germanify their Dutch rather than speak German
proper (nowadays people might even resort to English, although that would be frowned
upon a bit as being like "what? did you pay no attention in class at all?").

My mother grew up watching German television and she understood most of it without ever
having taken German at school. She eventually took German and learned the grammar.
Nowadays she doesn't speak German but she will understand very well if *you* do. This
is the case for most Dutch people - the language, contextual clues and such give it all
away. Only a select few learn to speak fluently (those with partners, wives, experience
living in German-speaking areas...). Germans that live here vice versa also tend to
learn Dutch, but retain their German accent. I think mutually intelligibility actually
exists to quite a big point; many of my uncles who didn't have much academic
credentials can simply speak/bumble along in German and make it out what people are
saying without a huge effort. It's all contextual clues that they use. Their responses
won't sound proper, a bit Tarzanish, but unless you have a good reason to speak German
properly, this bumbling is the default state.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 413 of 646
02 May 2013 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
Well, it seems the status of Frisian is somewhat comparable to that of Low German. Native speakers of Low German had to learn High German in school as a second language. When they did this, they ended up pronouncing the language as it was written, while Southern Germans would speak it with the accent of their dialect. So, in the end, the originally Low German regions became the regions with the best, accent-free High German (especially Hannover), while the other regions kept on using their local accents. It's too late for Low German now, because I think it will become extinct sooner or later, but I hope the Frisians cultivate their language better.

The Dutch tourists mostly spoke some German, but it was not always sufficient for communication, so one often had to speak some kind of Dutch-German hodgepodge. But even when they spoke Dutch, one could mostly understand what they wanted. When I grew older, I could often resort to English, but many older people in my hometown (including my parents) didn't know any English at all, so they would continue using this pidgin. The comparison to Tarzanish is not inappropriate at all.

Of course, clever businessmen and hoteliers realized that they could acquire customers by learning Dutch, but most Germans don't know any proper Dutch at all. Some even see it as some kind of German dialect because of the mutual intelligibility, but that's of course pure chauvinism. Nevertheless, the Westphalian dialect of my home region is phonetically already quite close to Dutch, because it's a sub-dialect of Low German. So people say "dat" instead of "das" and "et" instead of "es". Of course, there are still many differences compared to Dutch, but it's closer to it than High German.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 414 of 646
02 May 2013 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Frisian is stable, it's so different and it's taught separately in schools. I don't think
the amount of speakers really varies. I know very few people sit the central exams, and
I'm not sure whether the youth speaks Frisian much. You'd have to ask a genuine Frisian
about that.

The east of thе country also speak Low Saxon dialects. When they speak that it's
incomprehensible gibberish to me, but in the old situation before the dominance of
standard Dutch, it meant borders were pointless because the dialects formed a continuum
of course.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 415 of 646
04 May 2013 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
SATURDAY, 04 MAY 2013

Summary for April and plans for May

April has been a mediocre month. I was busy with other projects and life in general, so I didn't study as much as I probably should have. I'm participating in the May 6 Weeks Challenge, so I'll concentrate more on my languages again. Generally speaking, my focus has shifted from Russian and Gaelic to Japanese, which also is my target language during the 6WC.

РУССКИЙ

I'm not very satisfied with my Russian studies at the moment. On the one hand, I have finished the third text in Ну что, поехали? and am now working on the fourth one. I also wrote a text on lang-8, which wasn't that bad, and I'm doing my Anki reviews and a bit of Russian Podcast from time to time. On the other hand, I have the feeling I should be doing more in order not to only keep my level in Russian but to improve it.

Goals for May: Work through at least two texts from my bilingual reader, keep track of Anki reviews, write another two texts on lang-8, and go on with Russian Podcast.

GÀIDHLIG

I'm currently working on unit 19 of Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache. This means I worked through seven units in April, which is really good. Although grammar is getting a bit more complicated now (irregular verbs) and vocabulary doesn't stick so well any more, I hope I can go on at this speed. When I reach unit 20 I will only have worked through the first half of the book, for it continues up to unit 40. Anyway, I'm mostly aming for passive understanding of Scottish Gaelic, and although I'm on Clan Lugus it's not that important to me at the moment.

Goals for May: Work through another six units in the Lehrbuch and review old vocabulary.

ÍSLENSKA

I'm not doing a lot in Icelandic right now. I read a bit in Introduction to Old Norse once in a while, but that's it. I even returned my copy of Praktisches Lehrbuch Isländisch to the library, because I won't be working on my active skills during the next time anyway. I have an intermediate level in the language, and I'm quite satisfied with it.

Goals for May: Read something in Icelandic or Old Norse.

日本語

This is my target language for the 6WC and my newest language-love. I have almost finished unit 4 in Colloquial Japanese (I still have to review some katakana) and already had a look at unit 5. Japanese is foreign and exotic, but that makes it only more interesting. In addition to Colloquial Japanese, I borrowed some books about Japanese language and culture from the library, including Heisig's Remembering the Kanji and Hadamitzky's Japanese Kanji and Kana.

I must say I'm not really a fan of Heisig, because the stories he makes up in order to explain some kanji are not really that helpful. I prefer Hadamitzky's more classical approach. Moreover, the Hadamitzky is more comprehensive as it also covers kun- and on-readings, compounds, and stroke order all of which are not covered by Heisig. I have also thought about getting an additional textbook, in order to supplement Colloquial, maybe Assimil, Genki, or Minna no Nihongo. We'll see.

Goals for May: Study as much Japanese as possible! Go on with Colloquial Japanese, practise kanji and kana, maybe write something on lang-8 if possible.

OTHER LANGUAGES

Apart from English, I'm not working on other languages right now. I'll listen to some French, Italian, Swedish, or Faroese music, of course, but that's it. I discovered that The Hobbit DVD came with a French soundtrack, so I'll probably watch it in French once again. Other than that, I will continue watching films and series in English, as I have got to hate dubbed films. Perhaps, I'll do some Faroese when I'm up for it, but otherwise I'll concentrate on my target languages.

Goals for May: None except trying to use languages as often as possible.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 416 of 646
04 May 2013 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
Hei Josquin, ég er nu að læra islensku. Það er gaman!

In my experience the only way to really improve any language (that you can't just pick up
a book and read for) is to do it so much that you get to that latter stage. I could
probably drop Russian for a week and I wouldn't forget that much right now, but if I
drop, say, Breton or Romanian, then that will take its toll.

I watched the Hobbit in the French dub (there's also a German dub with subtitles for the
hearing impaired). It's a good dub actually, although the subtitles don't match up with
the audio for some inscrutable reason!

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version