Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 49 ... 80 81 Next >>
Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 385 of 646
16 April 2013 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
TUESDAY, 16 APRIL 2013

Just a very short update to show I'm still there. In fact, I was busier with travelling and working than with learning languages during last week, but I could spend some time on languages today. So, what did I do?

I repeated Russian vocabulary in Anki and reread the text about Novgorod in my bilingual reader. I'll start working on the text about superstitions later.

I also repeated unit 14 in Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache and read through unit 15. The main topic of this unit is the imperative. It's quite interesting that the 2nd pers. sg. imperative in Scottish Gaelic is identical with the root of the verb, so de facto all other verb forms are derived from the imperative. Gaelic definitely is a peculiar language.

As far as Japanese is concerned, I repeated unit 2 in Colloquial Japanese and read the first dialogue from unit 3. It's about family and counting. Quite interestingly, the topic of counter words was only mentioned in a subordinate clause. Well, there is a list of counter words in the back of the book, but they are not really explained anywhere.

I'm slowly getting the feeling that Colloquial Japanese is a really intense course where important concepts are more or less explained on the go. Well, it's a bit early to tell, but maybe I'll do an Assimil course or something like that after finishing CJ in order to get things straight. On verra.

@Woodsei: I'm glad I could help you. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 386 of 646
16 April 2013 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
It's quite interesting that the 2nd pers. sg. imperative in Scottish
Gaelic is identical with the root of the verb, so de facto all other verb forms are
derived from the imperative. Gaelic definitely is a peculiar language.

Like in English.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 387 of 646
16 April 2013 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Like in English.

Yes, you're right! I didn't think about that. On the other hand, in English, there is at least an infinitive which has the same form as the imperative. In Gaelic, there is no such thing as an infinitive, so the imperative really is the basic form of the verb.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 388 of 646
18 April 2013 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
THURSDAY, 18 APRIL 2013

I have started to work on the fourth text in Ну что, поехали?, but I'm drowning in new vocabulary. As I already told you, the text is about popular Russian superstitions and it's called Чёрная кошка и пустое ведро. Don't expect much progress on this, because marking the new words and entering them into Anki is a real hassle. Maybe, I should give LingQ or LWT a try after all...

I have repeated unit 15 in Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache and I already had a look at unit 16, which will deal with the preterite tense. It's relatively uncomplicated, because, for regular verbs, you simply have to lenite the stem of the verb in order to form the preterite. The only problem is that, until now, I have only used the verbal nouns of verbs, so I'll have to learn all the stem forms from scratch. Other than that, I'm not really happy about the quality of the textbook. There's too much new vocabulary in every unit, the grammar is not really repeated, and there are too few exercises. But alas, it's said to be the best textbook for Scottish Gaelic available, so what may the others be like?

In Japanese, I have continued with unit 3 in Colloquial Japanese. Counting in Japanese is somewhat awkward, because in addition to the Sino-Japanese counting system, there are traditional Japanese numbers for 1 through 10, which can be used in several contexts that have not really been explained. Moreover, there's the goddamn counter words which can merge phonetically with the number they accompany. Thank goodness, I already have a Japanese grammar book from PONS, otherwise I'd be lost. So far, Colloquial Japanese is not really great at explaining things. Kanji and kana are a pain in the neck, too, but at least in this regard, the book takes it easy on the learner. Oh yes, and then there are the plain and polite forms for family members, which have to be learned. There's plenty of work to do!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 389 of 646
20 April 2013 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
SATURDAY, 20 APRIL 2013

Русский

На этой неделе я опять не очень много занимался русским языком. В выходные я ездил на съезд в Мангейме, где я встречался с друзьями и другими студентами. Это было очень интересно, но я всё-таки очень усталь: много разговаривал с интересными людьми, много ходил по прямоугольным улицам Мангейма, много и хорошо ел и пил – но мало спал.

В понедельник и вторник я опять должен был работать, но в среду я не мог ездить на работу, потому что бастовали водители автобуса. В четверг автобусы опять работали, значит я тоже смог работать. В пятница я должен был написать несколько писем и научную статью, поэтому у меня не было времени на изучение языков.

Сегодня я прочитал четвёртый текст в моей книге и повторил слова из третьего текста. К тому же, я послушал новый выпуск Русского Подкаста. Можеть быть, завтра я буду учить новые слова, которых очень много.

Gàidhlig

A-nise bidh mi a' sgrìobhadh rudeigin ann an Gàidhlig. 'S e Crìsdean an t-ainm a th' orm. 'S e oileanach a th' annam agus tha mi a' fuireach anns a' Ghearmailt. Tha mise nam chlèireach an-dràsta. Tha mi ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig air sgàth 's gur toigh leam ise. 'S e cànan glè bhrèagha a th' innte. Chan eil mòran Gàidhlig agam fhathast ach tha mi ga h-ionnsachadh a h-uile latha. Tha mi an dòchas gum bi mi ga tuigsinn nas fheàrr a dh'aithghearr.

Íslenska

Í þessari víku gerði ég ekkert á íslensku. Aðrar sögurnar í bókinni eru ekki svo áhugaverðar, þess vegna veit ég ekki hvað ég á að lesa. Ég mun kannski leita aðra góða texta á netinu eða ég prófa að lesa einhverjar sögur úr bókinni samt. Við skulum sjá.

日本語

皆さん、今日は。 未だ、日本語を習っています。 私は日本語 が大好きです。 That's about all I can say at the moment. I'm still dealing with numbers, counting things, telling the time, and giving the date in Japanese and, moreover, with the names of family members and demonstrative pronouns. I have learned twenty more kanji, all the hiragana, and some more katakana. The kanji consist of the numbers (一 二 三 四 五 六 七 八 九 十) and ten other ones: 男 女 子 大 小 好 時 何 月 半. I'm really enjoying this Japanese journey at the moment. Japanese culture fascinates me and the language is so refreshingly different from what I knew before, so I'll definitely continue.

Edited by Josquin on 20 April 2013 at 11:37pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 390 of 646
21 April 2013 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
SATURDAY, 20 APRIL 2013

Русский

На этой неделе я опять не очень много занимался русским языком. В выходные (на
выходных) я ездил на съезд в Мангейме, где (я) встречался с друзьями и другими
студентами. Это было очень интересно, но я всё-таки очень устал: много разговаривал с
интересными людьми, много ходил по прямоугольным (?) улицам Мангейма, много и хорошо ел
и пил – но мало спал.

В понедельник и вторник я опять должен был работать, но в среду я не смог поехать на
работу, потому что бастовали водители автобусов. В четверг автобусы опять работали,
значит я тоже смог работать. В пятницу я должен был написать несколько писем и научную
статью, поэтому у меня не было времени на изучение языков.

Сегодня я прочитал четвёртый текст в моей книге и повторил слова из третьего текста. К
тому же, я послушал новый выпуск Русского Подкаста. Можеть быть, завтра я буду учить
новые слова, которых очень много.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 391 of 646
21 April 2013 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
много ходил по прямоугольным (?) улицам Мангейма,

The streets of Mannheim are rectangular, because the city was laid out in a grid pattern.

Thanks for your corrections, especially for "я не смог поехать". I had thought endlessly about which aspect and which verb of motion to use, but in the end I made the wrong decision.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 392 of 646
21 April 2013 at 12:09pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Josquin wrote:
It's quite interesting that the 2nd pers. sg.
imperative
in Scottish
Gaelic is identical with the root of the verb, so de facto all other verb forms are
derived from the imperative. Gaelic definitely is a peculiar language.

Like in English.

And, with a few exceptions, in Breton as well (the irregular verbs excluded, but they
are about 5 in Breton). Sounds like it's just a Celtic language thing.

Breton does have an infinitive though, or at least the Assimil uses the French word
"infinitif", so I am assuming that it is such.

How do you like Japanese so far, Josquin?

Edited by tarvos on 21 April 2013 at 12:11pm

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version