Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 80 81 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 633 of 646
17 May 2015 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
I've never bought Assimil legally ;D Although I think it can be very useful even with no audio.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4433 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 634 of 646
18 May 2015 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
Hi Josquin, good to see you back. As a matter of fact, I have been more or less absent from the forum myself over the last couple of months. It happens more or less once a year that I need to take a break from HTLAL, but I always come back, as I end up missing the interaction with all the weird and wonderful people aka HTLAL members.

I've read with lot of interest your latest posts about your motivation or lack thereof, and your change of priorities. I think it is a good thing if you end up finding out what you want and why you want to learn languages. I haven't been around on the forum as long as you, but I can see that it is easy to put extra pressure on yourself to "be up there" with the most active and polyglot learners. I felt a bit like that during my first couple of years here, but now I am much more relaxed about it, and I focus on quality and what interests me rather than quantity. I rather struggle slowly through one book in Russian, and feel that it was worth reading for the content, than trying to reach some quantitative goal of reading X pages in 6 weeks or similar.

However, I dont't agree that you cannot contribute anything to the forum if you do not keep on learning languages. I mean, you have learnt various languages, you have been through the process, and your views or advice, as well as the thoughts you express here about motivation etc., are all interesting for other members, and can be very valuable for newbies who may be full of enthusiasm, but lack the experience of learning multiple languages. For me the forum is also about that.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 635 of 646
24 May 2015 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
WHITSUNDAY, 24 MAY 2015

Thanks, Ogrim! Your kind words are good to hear. :)

So, as usual, I have been pretty busy with other stuff, mainly my thesis and writing applications, but I have finally figured out how to proceed with my languages. I am going to focus on Russian and Irish for the time being. In fact, studying Irish has sort of become my "guilty pleasure", which keeps me from work.

Русский

I haven't got around to choose a book yet, but I'm still watching Кухня. Other than that, nothing!

Gaeilge

So, Irish is sort of my "true love" among languages. In fact, I think it would have been cool to study Celtic Studies as a minor in university, but unfortunately it's too late for that. However, it's hard to find good resources. That's why I have decided to give Learning Irish another chance. I just don't have a better choice.

In fact, I've got the impression that Learning Irish gets better in the more advanced units, so it was probably good to learn the basics through Teach Yourself. I'm working on lesson 17 in Learning Irish now and I'll try to complement it with some dialogues from Gaeilge gan Stró.

Other than that, I found an annotated reader of 20th century Irish literature at the library. I'll put it to use as soon as possible. Also, I plan on buying some Irish language novels, such as The Hobbit, The Hound of the Baskervilles, and Alice in Wonderland. Sooner or later, I'll have to take the plunge and deal with native materials.

Moreover, I was delighted to see that a new book about the history of the Irish language will be published in June (link). I have been looking for something like this for ages! I just have to get it as soon as it will be published.

Future plans with Irish include studying some Old Irish and maybe some other Celtic languages, such as Welsh. But I'll have to concentrate on Modern Irish first. Everything else would be putting too much on my plate again.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4482 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 636 of 646
25 May 2015 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:

So, Irish is sort of my "true love" among languages. In fact, I think it would have been cool to study Celtic Studies
as a minor in university, but unfortunately it's too late for that. However, it's hard to find good resources. That's
why I have decided to give Learning Irish another chance. I just don't have a better choice.

In fact, I've got the impression that Learning Irish gets better in the more advanced units, so it was probably good
to learn the basics through Teach Yourself. I'm working on lesson 17 in Learning Irish now and I'll try to
complement it with some dialogues from Gaeilge gan Stró.

Other than that, I found an annotated reader of 20th century Irish literature at the library. I'll put it to use as soon
as possible. Also, I plan on buying some Irish language novels, such as The Hobbit, The Hound of the Baskervilles,
and Alice in Wonderland. Sooner or later, I'll have to take the plunge and deal with native materials.

So have you tried Duolingo yet? I think you only mentioned it in passing. I recommend it. I think the positives far
outweigh the negatives.

I don't suppose you had the presence of mind to get a copy of Harry Potter as Gaeilge before it went out of print
(and no, you can't have mine)? You can still get used copies, but the price is going up. BTW, one of the prolific
commenters in the Duolingo Irish section (galaxyrocker, IIRC), has said multiple times that he/she recommends
against HP in Irish because it's "Master's Level" Irish, and even native speakers have trouble with it. To which I say,
is amaideach é sin.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4482 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 637 of 646
26 May 2015 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:

I don't suppose you had the presence of mind to get a copy of Harry Potter as Gaeilge before it went out of print
(and no, you can't have mine)? You can still get used copies, but the price is going up.

Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the return of
Harry Potter!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 638 of 646
26 May 2015 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
Go raibh maith agat, a geoffw! I think I'll get a copy sooner or later.

No, I haven't tried Duolingo yet, but I will.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 639 of 646
11 June 2015 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
THURSDAY, 11 JUNE 2015

Gaeilge

I have been concentrating on Irish for the last few weeks, and I'll probably continue to do so for the time being. My love-hate relationship with Ó Siadhail's Learning Irish continues, as I have reached unit 19. I'm trying to spice it up with some dialogues from Gaeilge gan Stró 2 and some excercises from Basic Irish, but Learning Irish is my main resource right now.

However, I found a new interesting resource, called A Handbook of Irish by Alfred Bammesberger. It consists of three slim volumes, the first one being a textbook, the second a reference grammar, and the third one an annotated reader of 20th century Irish literature.

As interesting as the reader seems to be, it's way over my head right now, so I'm dealing with the textbook for the time being. It teaches Irish like a dead language, but in a somewhat more engaging and accessible manner than Learning Irish does. The grammar is structured way more logically and with focus on important rules and structures instead of the detailed treatises on exceptions and minor subtleties that Learning Irish usually presents. I think the Handbook is a good resource for repeating and reinforcing basic grammar, but unfortunately it comes without exercises, which is a minor letdown.

Be that as it may, the texts in Learning Irish are actually getting more interesting, but the presentation of grammar is as grotesque as ever. While skimming through the book, I noticed Ó Siadhail teaches the conditional mood (an modh coinníolach) before the present habitual. Yeah, right... Also, lesson 19 deals with the comparison of adjectives, which have completely different endings in Connemara Irish than in Standard Irish. Ó Siadhail doesn't even bother to mention the rules of Standard Irish, so that's a bummer as well.

On the bright side, there is a German textbook I'd like to check out. It's called "Irisch für Anfänger" and might be a good complement to my other resources. With 38 €, it's rather on the expensive side, so I'll try to get it through the library first. I should probably get back to the Workbook to Learning Irish by Nancy Stenson as well. My passive skills have definitely made progress, but I should train my active skills as well.

Last but not least, I'm expecting my copy of A History of the Irish Language to be delivered today. I hope it will live up to the very high expectations I have. I am very fond of the Irish language right now and interested in everything connected to it. If I were to go to university again, I'd probably go into Celtic studies (given that I found a university offering them...), but that ship has sailed long ago. So, self-study it is!
3 persons have voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4416 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 640 of 646
13 June 2015 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
I haven't been on HTLAL for ages, but do check back in periodically to catch up with familiar "faces" such as yourself, especially because of the insights found there and common experiences we all share in our pursuit of our goals (whether they be language-related or life-related). I read with great interest your latest thoughts, particularly:

Josquin wrote:

I started one language after another and lost track of my real goals. As interesting as studying a language can be, I needed to find out what I really wanted. When I realized what that was, it was not getting fluent. I’m a scanner personality. I’m excited by new things. As long as I don’t know how something works, it’s interesting. However, the moment I know it fairly well, the excitement is over. I’m not a perfectionist. I’m not a person who reviews their vocabulary with Anki every day. I can understand and produce Russian fairly well, so I need a new challenge. The same goes for every other language. I know the basics and can get along, so all the excitement is gone.

Along those lines, there's this Buddhist idea of the human mind as being filled with drunken monkeys, jumping around, screeching, chattering, and carrying on endlessly undoubtedly in various languages as well in the case of us folks here :) and they can not be successfully fought with, silenced or forced out of our minds, instead we can only slowly come to tame them or make peace with them through awareness and/or meditation. Awareness helps one realize that these are just conflicting voices, but not the true voice we should heed or follow the advice of if we want to be at our healthiest and happiest.

As always, wishing you all good things.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version