Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 56 ... 80 81 Next >>
Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 441 of 646
30 May 2013 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations for your accomplishments on Gaelic, Josquin! I see that you realize that
languages aren't the damage factor themselves, they just deviate your focus when you have
important issues to do. As long as you (that is, I did to some extent) don't use it as a
sort of escape, it's ok.

All this to say it's also Corpus Christi here in Brazil. I love this holiday too, because
it's ALWAYS a Thursday and you can always "faire le pont", as the French people say =D
Your state must be of Catholic background, isn't it?
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4152 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 442 of 646
31 May 2013 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
Τα ελληνικά σου είναι πολύ καλά :)

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4398 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 443 of 646
31 May 2013 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
A Josquin, tha e math a fhaicinn gu bheil thu ag mealtainn na Gàidhlig! Cum ort, a
charaid chòir!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 444 of 646
05 June 2013 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
TUESDAY, 05 JUNE 2013

Time for a short update. I have been studying languages on and off during the last few days, especially Gaelic and Japanese, but yesterday life caught up with me. Unfortunately, my application for a doctoral position at Ludwig Maximilians University Munich didn't go through and my contract with the publisher I'm working for right now will expire in August, so my future is a bit uncertain right now. Maybe, I will be able to extend my contract or I will enroll in Munich anyway, as one of the professors seemed to be really enthusiastic about the topic of my dissertation (unfortunately, his colleagues apparently didn't share his enthusiasm). Anyhow, I have to think about more important things than languages right now -- although studying can be a welcome distraction from the stress and the worries.

@Expugnator: Thanks, you're right. Studying can be a good distraction from one's problems, but it shouldn't become a flight from reality. Well, I'm very busy with reality right now, so studying is okay if I can gather my thoughts. Baden-Württemberg (my state) has a mixed religious background: Baden is Catholic, while Württemberg is mainly Protestant. For whatever reason, the state has decided to celebrate the Catholic holidays and not the Protestant ones though.

@renaissancemedi: Ευχαριστώ, αλλά τα ελληνικά μου πραγματικά δεν είναι καλά.

@liammcg: Tapadh leat, a Liaim! Tha mi toilichte gur toil leat an "log" agam. Is toil leam Gàidhlig gu mòr. Tha mi an dòchas gu bheil a' Ghàidhlig (na h-Èireann agus na h-Alba) agad gu leòr cuideachd.

Edited by Josquin on 05 June 2013 at 5:49pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 445 of 646
14 June 2013 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
FRIDAY, 14 JUNE 2013

Okay, time for the first detailed update since May. I'm still busy with other things (also known as "my life") right now, so I only study languages once in a while, but I nevertheless managed to make some progress.

Русский

В данный момент я не очень много занимаюсь русским языком. Я прочитал несколько текстов из книга «Ну что, поехали?», но ещё не учил новые слова. К тому же, я послушал выпуск Русского Подкаста о приготовлении блинов. Чаще всего мне было легко слушать, но иногда были некоторые неизвестные слова, потому что я не знаю много слов о кухне и стряпне.

I'm not studying Russian very much at the moment. I have read some texts from Ну что, поехали?, but I haven't learned the new words yet. Moreover, I have listened to an episode of Russian Podcast about cooking bliny. Most of the time, I could listen easily, but sometimes there were some unknown words, because I don't know many words about kitchen and cooking.

Gàidhlig

Bidh mi ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig gach latha ma bhios ùine agam. Chrìochnaich mi an t-aonad a trì air fhichead ann an Leabhar a' Chànain Ghàidhlig an-diugh agus leugh mi an còmhradh an aonaid a ceithir air fhichead mar-thà. The e glè intinneach, ach tha an gràmar a' fàs gu nas doirbhe.

I'm learning Gaelic every day when I have the time. I finished unit 23 in Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache today and already read the text of unit 24. It's very interesting, but the grammar is getting more difficult. (I'm dealing with modality and adjective declension in the singular right now. Comparing adjectives will be next.)

Íslenska

Fyrirgefið, en ég hef gert ekkert á íslensku í tvo mánuði núna.

Sorry, but I haven't done anything in Icelandic for two months now.

日本語

今だ、日本語を習っています。
今、「Colloquial Japanese」の本の六つ目章を読んでいます。
日本語が大好きですが、大変です。 それで わ、好いですよ。
三ヶ月日本語を勉強しています。 私は話し たいですから。

I'm still learning Japanese.
I'm reading the sixth chapter of Colloquial Japanese right now.
I love Japanese, but it's difficult. Well, it's alright.
I have been studying Japanese for three months, because I want to speak it.

(I'm dealing with the "-te form" and the "-tai form" right now. The "-te form" can be used for linking two sentences and, in combination with いる (iru, "to be"), expressing either continuing actions or finished actions, depending on whether the verb is transitive or intransitive. Moreover, in combination with 下さい (kudasai) the "-te form" expresses a polite request. The "-tai form" however simply expresses wanting something. The main conversational topic of unit 6 was asking for the way and giving directions. I still have to learn some vocabulary and repeat the kanji and katakana, then I'll go on with unit 7.)

Gaeilge

Well, I have been dabbling a little bit in Irish over the last few weeks, but I have finally come to the conclusion that it's better to consolidate my Scottish Gaelic first. One can tell both languages apart, but learning Irish might nevertheless have a negative influence on my Gaelic right now. Pronunciation-wise both languages are quite different from each other, but I'm afraid I could mix up the vocabulary or even the grammar. So, no more Irish for the moment, but I'll come back to it later.

Edited by Josquin on 15 June 2013 at 6:42pm

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 446 of 646
15 June 2013 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
Ooooooh, I haven't been there "for a while"...

Josquin wrote:
Generally speaking, I still want languages to be a part of my life, but not such an important part as they used to be during the last few months. Languages are fun, but as I don’t live in a multilingual environment and don’t get to travel very much I can’t use them a lot, so there’s no sense in studying like a berserk. That’s why I won’t set me any goals any more but rather study when I feel like it.

It’s my attitude that has to change in order to find more inner balance, so I’ll just do what’s fun. Maybe this will result in rather flirting with languages instead of studying them seriously, but I’m okay with that. Languages are only my hobby, not my life and this forum, as great as it is, can’t be a substitute for satisfying social relations.

I see it's been a spring of the crisis.
Where do you live in Germany that you're not in a multicultural environment? A little village? :) (no offence).
Anyway, I don't have many foreign acquaintances (let alone friends) in the city where I live right now, but there is a way to cope with that. Firstly - Couchsurfing. Through this website you can meet loads of great people. And secondly... hitchhiking. I know that the opinions about it are mixed and many people think that "it's soooo dangerouuuuus!". But well, I've already done it in 6 countries and preparing for another ones (actually, loads of them). And when will be a better time for such experience if not while you're a "poor student" (as me? ;) )? I won't hide that it's two-way enabler: languages encourage me to travel and travelling somehow enforce me to learn languages, at least a bit (btw. after reading how surprisingly bad is with English in Spain and considering the fact, that I'll probably be in Catalonia... Oh gosh).

Could you remind one more time what do you study? Because I've forgotten if it's musicology or playing... something.

P.S. Wanderlust... That's what I feel approximately 11 months a year :D

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 447 of 646
15 June 2013 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
I haven't done much with my Icelandic either, but in 1,5 weeks I have another lesson
booked for it. I'll be able to cover some units by then.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 448 of 646
15 June 2013 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
Hey prz_, good to see you're back at HTLAL! I'll answer your questions quickly.

prz_ wrote:
Where do you live in Germany that you're not in a multicultural environment? A little village? :)

No, I live in a university town, but as I spend most of the day at work or at home I don't get to meet many people that are not German.

Quote:
Firstly - Couchsurfing. Through this website you can meet loads of great people. And secondly... hitchhiking.

I feel I'm a bit too old (or at least too grown up) for both. On top of that, I'm just not the type of guy who loves to meet many new people.

Quote:
Could you remind one more time what do you study? Because I've forgotten if it's musicology or playing... something.

I have a Master's degree in musicology and philosophy and am now desperately trying to write a doctoral dissertation in musicology. But only God knows if I'll ever succeed...

Quote:
P.S. Wanderlust... That's what I feel approximately 11 months a year :D

I totally know what you mean! ;)

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version