Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 80 81 Next >>
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 65 of 646
21 May 2012 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm gonna fall in love very soon, I have to revise several lessons from my textbook and learn another 10 for my short exam. But well, at least I'll have some motivation ;)

Quote:
Something I noticed by listening to my recordings is that palatalized т and д sound very close to ц. At least there is some kind of hissing that sounds very close to an s-sound, at least to my German ears. And although I can perceive this special quality of ть and дь, I find it very hard to imitate.

Seems that the native Slav misses a lot of magic in Russian.
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 66 of 646
21 May 2012 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
Josuin wrote:
Something I noticed by listening to my recordings is that palatalized т and д sound very close to ц. At least there is some kind of hissing that sounds very close to an s-sound, at least to my German ears. And although I can perceive this special quality of ть and дь, I find it very hard to imitate.

Seems that the native Slav misses a lot of magic in Russian.

Oh, you can have some magic by trying to pronounce German soft 'ch' without making a 'sch' out of it. German 'ü' is also very popular as well as the '-er' sound [ɐ].

From that point of view, Icelandic should be full of magic with its devoicing and preaspiration...

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 67 of 646
21 May 2012 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
lykill!
(And it's one of the easiest examples for me)

German sounds don't impress me (I mean, in a negative way ;) ). Neither the Dutch ones.

Edited by prz_ on 21 May 2012 at 10:59pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 68 of 646
21 May 2012 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, the 'll' sound is great! I love it! Another favourite of mine is 'nn' like in 'steinn'. And the real fun starts when preaspiration meets devoicing like in 'vatn'.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 69 of 646
21 May 2012 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
Josquin, у меня really means "I have". Russian doesn't really have a verb for to have (I guess there is иметь, but I never really understood how that is used), instead they express possession using a construction of "by me is ...". You can also use the possessive if you want to shorten it in a sentence "my car is not working" instead of "I have a faulty car".

Also note that you can NEVER use a possessive pronoun with any body part - you must use у меня.

у меня can also mean at my place, like in у меня в номере (in my hotel room) etc etc.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 70 of 646
22 May 2012 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
TUESDAY, 22 MAY 2012

Today, I had a lot of paperwork to do in order to enrol in university. I was exmatriculated after having achieved my Masters degree and now have to enrol again in order to officially get the status of a PhD student.

Nevertheless, I managed to learn Russian for about an hour and a half today. I reread the dialogue of lesson 7, listened to the recordings, repeated the grammar, and did the exercises.

The adjectives are rather straightforward. The only difficult thing is to remember whether an adjective has a soft or a hard ending. After velars and sibilants, the case is clear - and adjectives with stress on the ending aren't a problem either. For the rest, you have to remember whether it is -ый/-ая/-ое/-ые or -ий/-яя/-ее/-ие.

The reflexive verbs and the verbs on -овать/-евать are also rather straightforward. I don't have any problems with them. So, the main part that is left before finishing lesson 7 is memorising the vocabulary. I know most of the words in Russian, but I'm not yet feeling sure when translating from German. So, I will learn the vocabulary tomorrow, do the translation exercise which is left, and then go on with lesson 8.

@tarvos: Thank you for your help. I know that the 'у + genitive' construction means 'to have', but, in the case I mentioned (У меня брат живёт в Новгороде), у меня obviously doesn't mean 'I have', but simply 'my': 'My brother lives in Novgorod.' So, my question was if there was any difference between 'У меня брат живёт в Новгороде' and 'Мой брат живёт в Новгороде' or if they are synonymously interchangeable. I think that, in this case, they're interchangeable, but I would like to hear someone else's opinion.

It's interesting to know that one cannot use the possessive pronoun with body parts. The same rule exists in Icelandic where you can only say augun á mér ('the eyes on me = my eyes') or hrygurinn á þér ('the back on you = your back') instead of *augun mín or *hryggurinn þinn. So, even knowing Icelandic can be useful for studying Russian.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 71 of 646
22 May 2012 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
For the rest, you have to remember whether it is -ый/-ая/-ое/-ые or -ий/-яя/-ее/-ие.

Oh, long and short forms of the adjectives, I guess? The remnants of Old Church Slavonic :)

Edited by prz_ on 22 May 2012 at 11:32pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 72 of 646
22 May 2012 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
У меня брат живёт в Новгороде

This sentence would not work grammatically, I think. You are introducing the fact that the brother lives in Novgorod, but you have to do that using a relative clause if you're using the construction with У меня. Why? Because the construction you use in that sentence already has a verb! What verb, you ask? It's implicitly understood, but: есть! It's so often left out of a sentence that you forget it exists. However, when you're constructing a sentence grammatically, even though the verb is not written, you cannot actually substitute another verb for it (the main verb cannot change to be живёт). So what you'd probably say in that case is something like:

У меня (есть) брат, который живёт в Новгороде. In this case, you enter который as a joker (and don't ask me why you use that and not кто, that's an intuition that you have to develop, кто just sounds off).

This sentence translates more as "I have a brother, who lives in Novgorod). Now the thing is by using a possessive pronoun (мой) you shortcut the whole problem, it really is simpler. So in colloquial speech I would expect it to be easier to just use a possessive instead of the (relatively more) complicated construction using У меня.

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version