Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 71 ... 80 81 Next >>
Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 561 of 646
27 November 2013 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Is the 'Sen' in Sengoídelc standing for 'old'? If so, it might have something to do with
Norwegian's sen/sent (late)
1 person has voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4398 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 562 of 646
27 November 2013 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Is the 'Sen' in Sengoídelc standing for 'old'? If so, it might have
something to do with
Norwegian's sen/sent (late)

It is! Which gives us 'sean' or 'seann' in Irish and Scottish Gaelic.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 563 of 646
27 November 2013 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
According to this dictionary, "sen"/"sean" is even related to Latin "senex" and Gothic "sinista", which makes it possible that it's really related to "sen" and similar words in the Nordic languages.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 564 of 646
01 December 2013 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
SUNDAY, 01 DECEMBER 2013

Happy Advent, everybody! The merriest time of the year is approaching and it's time for the final spurt of the TAC. I have prepared my presentation, which I will have to deliver in two weeks, so I should be able to study languages regularly until Christmas. I will spend a week in Denmark over New Year's again, so I ought to practise my pronunciation of "rødgrød med fløde". Time to boil some potatoes! ;)

Русский

I have given up on reading Игрок in favour of my bilingual reader Ну что, поехали? Getting only the roughest gist of a story is a bit tiresome, so I'm reading easier texts again. Also, I have ordered Barron's 501 Russian Verbs in order to practise conjugating irregular verbs.

Gaeilge

I'm making my peace with Learning Irish, although I'm still amazed how useless some of the vocabulary is. I'm on lesson 9 now and making decent progress. I would like to do the exercises accompanying Learning Irish that were prepared by Nancy Stenson. I downloaded them some time ago, but I haven't worked with them yet. Also, I have ordered Collin's Pocket Dictionary Irish.

日本語

I'm still working on unit 5 in Genki. I still need to repeat some vocabulary and practise some kanji, then I can move on to the next unit. I ought to repeat the kun-readings of numerals and the days of the month that are derived from them (ついたち、 ふつか、 みっか。。。). They just don't want to stick!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 565 of 646
06 December 2013 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
FRIDAY, 06 DECEMBER 2013

There's not very much to report for this week, but at least there is something!

Русский

I have been reading some stories in my bilingual reader. Maybe, I'll throw in a text from Colloquial 2 again -- for variety. I will work with Barron's 501 Verbs in the next time by learning new verbs and repeating old ones.

Gaeilge

I'm now on lesson 9 in Learning Irish. Everything is going smoothly although I'm still not enjoying the texts. I tried to learn the lyrics of Oró, se do bheatha abhaile, but it's still way over my head, of course, and I can hardly remember the words. I have recieved the Collins dictionary, which seems to be reasonably good for its price.

日本語

I have reached unit 6 in Genki, which deals with the te-form of verbs. I'm still profiting from Colloquial Japanese as far as the grammar is concerned, but there is more and more unknown vocabulary -- and kanji! I will have to study more seriously again in order to make good progress, but I want to get along without using Anki for the time being.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 566 of 646
13 December 2013 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
SUMMARY FOR 2013

The organization of the 2014 TAC has already started, so it’s high time to summarize my language learning progress of the last year. First of all, 2013 has been both a tough and a lucky year for me and I had to rethink me goals in language learning several times.

I had to cope with personal problems on the one hand and with the unexpected opportunity to follow my dream career on the other hand. Due to these developments, language learning has a very different position in my daily life from what it used to have one year ago.

Nevertheless, learning languages is a great hobby that I don’t want to give up, so I will continue studying Russian, Irish, and Japanese in 2014. I might also dabble in Hungarian, Greek, Korean, Persian, or Welsh if I have the time. So, let's take a look back and see what I have (or haven’t) achieved during the past year.

Русский

I didn’t study as much Russian as I intended to, but I nevertheless managed to widen my vocabulary and to consolidate my B1 level. I have mainly been reading texts from Colloquial Russian 2 and Ну что, поехали?. I tried to read Russian literature, but it was still too early for that.

In 2014, I want to continue dealing with native materials, consolidate my grammar, broaden my vocabulary, and work towards B2. I will try to listen to spoken Russian more. Perhaps, I’ll even make first attempts at speaking with natives.

Íslenska

I mainly dealt with Old Norse sagas, but I didn’t really work on my active skills. After my crisis in May, I decided to neglect Icelandic in favour of my other languages. I don’t plan on getting back to it in 2014.

Gàidhlig

I worked through Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache in 2013 and reached A2 in Scottish Gaelic. Nevertheless, I decided to give up Gaelic in order to concentrate on Irish

Gaeilge

I worked through Colloquial Irish, which unfortunately was more of a phrasebook than a real course, so I only reached A1.

I’m struggling with Mícheál Ó Siadhail’s Learning Irish right now, but it will only teach me grammar and vocabulary, so I plan on purchasing Buntús Cainte and Living Language Irish as supplements in 2014. This combined approach should take me to a low B1 by the end of 2014.

日本語

After working through the first eight units of Colloquial Japanese, I decided to take a different approach towards Japanese and bought Genki. I’m currently on lesson 6. By the end of 2014, I would like to work through both volumes of Genki and maybe supplement it with Colloquial Japanese.

I am not yet sure as to how good I would like to get, because I’m quite intimidated by the thought of memorizing all 2.136 Jouyou Kanji with both their kun- and on-readings (to say nothing of kanji compounds). So, I’ll set my goals low and aim for a solid A2.

Other

If there was a TAC award for dabbling, I’d probably be in the Top 10 this year. I took a more or less close look at Danish, Faroese, Welsh, Hungarian, Mandarin, Old English, and Old Irish whilst never getting very far with any of those.

Well, I want to get back to some of them sooner or later, but we’ll see how things work out. And then there are French, Italian, and Swedish, which are desperately crying for my attention and some brush-up. We’ll see if I get to at least one of them in 2014.

That’s it for this year, folks! Thanks for reading, commenting, and supporting me! See you in 2014!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 567 of 646
14 December 2013 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
It was nice to hear about your different moments in language-learning throughout this
year, Josquin, and how you evolved to set languages at an appropriate place in your life!
After your crisis, I was really worried that we might have lost an invaluable team
fellow, but fortunately you'd always come back more aware of your goals. You experienced
and you decided what you liked and what you didn't. So, I believe you'll be making nice
accomplishments in 2014 and I'm looking forward to having a good Russian Team.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 568 of 646
14 December 2013 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Expugnator! That's very kind of you.

Yes, finding my own way of language learning wasn't easy, but I think I've found it now.

To a successful year 2014!

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version