Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 38 ... 80 81 Next >>
Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 297 of 646
14 January 2013 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
I am glad I only did about 15 seconds of German, or you would not have been quite as impressed:-) But I
think you are wise to lower your ambitions, it they were at a 100% so far. After all we are doing this for fun.
The first Skype session is always a shock, but next time already you are mentally prepared, and it will be
easier. And I thought you did really well in French for not using it regularly. I get to use it at least a little bit 4-5
times a year, and listen to tons of French TV-series, I have lived in France for a year and I was a French
teacher in my previous life.

You did just fine:-)
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 298 of 646
14 January 2013 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
I was going to say the same thing; comparing yourself to Cristina is not a fair thing
to do really. And my French is only fluent on the basis of the fact I don't stumble in
it; I still make pretty trivial errors in speech :) You do just fine for what you want
to do!

And I have also extensively traveled and spent a lot of time in Francophone Belgium,
especially Brussels, lived there during a summer with French people. The inhibition you
have when speaking a foreign language drops when you force yourself into a "need"
situation, and since that situation isn't so stringent for you as it was for me back
then, it makes perfect sense. I had to understand French to understand there was a leak
in the bathroom and respond to people about it. I had to explain a breakup I had to my
roommates in French. It makes sense that I can speak French "on the fly" because that
is simply how I use that language. It's not how you use it. Our goals are totally
different, there's no need to be intimidated :)

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5141 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 299 of 646
15 January 2013 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
[...]

The other team mates talked about the way they used their languages and I suddenly realized that I don't really use my languages at all except for reading and listening. I am living in a monolingual environment and don't travel much, so my love for languages is more some sort of intellectual curiosity than the wish of being able to talk to people.

This also became clear to me when Cristina asked me why I was studying Russian. I don't have Russian relatives or friends, I'm simply interested in Russian culture, music, and literature. I don't even know if fluency in Russian really is my goal, or if I would be satisfied with understanding it fairly well. I most certainly know I'm not striving for fluency in Icelandic or Gaelic, because I don't see any practical use in that. I just want to understand the language and (yes, this is nerdy) know how it works. Maybe, in another life, I wouldn't have become such a bad philologist after all...

[...]

I could have written those same words myself!

I’m in a very similar situation: I learn languages for languages’ sake and have very little opportunity to use them in the real world. Sometime it’s hard to justify even to myself the amount of time spent in this apparently meaningless pursuit. But then I realize how much I enjoy studying languages and anyway I can’t usually stay away from textbooks and dictionaries for more than a few months.

I think the secret is not to worry too much about reaching perfection or about finding a socially-acceptable reason (career opportunities, family connections, travel etc.) for learning languages. After all we are only human and we have a right to our idiosyncrasies. If spending hours on end studying languages makes us happy, who’s to tell us that we shouldn’t do it or that we’re doing it wrong?

And if it’s any consolation, I’ve read this log in its entirety now and, as someone who’s just started out with Russian, I find it really inspiring. Even though you may think otherwise, you’ve accomplished so much over the past eight months. I wish I could do just a fraction of that in TAC 2013: I would consider that an achievement!

So keep up the great work and remember to keep having fun!

Edited by Emme on 15 January 2013 at 1:37am

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5189 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 300 of 646
15 January 2013 at 4:36am | IP Logged 
Ditto with the above.

I learn languages because it's fun. I enjoy it. Kind of like I enjoy Sudoku. and logic puzzles. Call me a nerd. :)

I like learning how things go together, figuring things out. I like reading in my target languages, and I like to understand them. I'm not that interested in producing them, though. I suppose if I ever had the opportunity to use them, that might change. But I live in a monolingual environment, too, and that's unlikely to change in the next 10 years.

I say go with whatever floats your boat. :)

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 301 of 646
15 January 2013 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
Cristina, tarvos, Emme, and Kerrie, thank you so much for your kind responses! I really appreciate all you said very much. I just tend to have such high standards for myself and set myself under pressure. Call me a perfectionist. Normally, that's not a problem, because I keep my language passion to myself, but meeting such amazing polyglots as my mates from Team MIR just makes me think I have to perform perfectly. I sometimes simply have to remember myself we're all human and that everybody makes mistakes.

Good to know I can relax more from now on! See you soon.

@Emme: Thanks a lot! I'm glad you like my log. I hope it will continue to be inspiring in the future as well.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 302 of 646
15 January 2013 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Cristina, tarvos, Emme, and Kerrie, thank you so much for your kind
responses! I really appreciate all you said very much. I just tend to have such high
standards for myself and set myself under pressure. Call me a perfectionist. Normally,
that's not a problem, because I keep my language passion to myself, but meeting such
amazing polyglots as my mates from Team MIR just makes me think I have to perform
perfectly. I sometimes simply have to remember myself we're all human and that
everybody makes mistakes.

If I was such a perfectionist, I would never have spoken German to you at all, rest
assured; my grammar is something out of a teacher's worst nightmare :) I don't set my
standards so high, I simply want to communicate with people. I only go for absolute
perfection in a language if it's useful (English, French), my native tongue (Dutch) or
I have some personal connection to that language (French). I don't mind not being
perfect; the level you saw me speak at in f.e. Russian reflects more of the fact I am
trying to "communicate" than "did I get that case and preposition right". I entirely
drop that idea in speech and just try to make it come out more or less naturally. This
leads to my speech being riddled with small errors, but it makes it perfectly possible
to communicate very well :) I can weed errors out later, I like having a working
machine. I can fix the small bugs later. :)

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 303 of 646
15 January 2013 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, unfortunately my shaky self-confidence is a little bit in my way, but I hope I will get more confident by speaking more often. If I was in an immersion situation, I'd definitely take the same approach as you, but as I mainly "converse" with books, CDs, and movies (if at all), being able to speak a language is more or less a nice side-effect of being able to understand. Well, that's a bit exaggerated, but I hope you get what I mean.

So, I'm a bit inhibited when I try to speak a language I seldom use, and afterwards I think I should have done much better. I simply would have to practise in order to really get better, I know that, but I don't know where I should take the time to brush-up my French, Italian, or Swedish. I hardly get to study Russian, so when should I take care of the others? Yes, languages are great, but I still have a life besides of them: working, researching my dissertation, rehearsing for concerts, and -- last but not least -- my private life.

I therefore have to arrange myself with the fact that some of my languages aren't in such a good shape as they used to be, which is a pity. I guess that's what really bothers me: I used to be good at French and Swedish, and now I constantly have to think while speaking and I make mistakes I wouldn't have made some years ago. Yeah, I guess that's the real point. I'm disappointed that some of my languages have become rusty without me noticing it.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 304 of 646
28 January 2013 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
MONDAY, 28 JANUARY 2013

Okay, this hasn't been a good month for studying. Although I did some Russian and Gaelic, it was so little that I won't even report about it in detail. I have started unit 17 in Colloquial Russian and unit 6 in Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache. My Icelandic studies consisted of two paragraphs I read in E. V. Gordons Introduction to Old Norse.

I won't go into detail as to why I haven't managed to study more, but let's say I had to deal with some recurring health problems of which I had thought they were already history. Well, additionally to my obligations as a musician and my daily work that was just the straw which broke the camel's back. So, instead of studying I had to ease my mind, take some long walks, read some good books, listen to gentle music.

So, partially a bad start into the new year, but I hope things will get better now. As soon as I feel like my old self again, I'll get back to Russian, Gaelic, and Icelandic. I'm really missing my grammar points and vocab lists, so I can't wait. I wanted to work on unit 17 of Colloquial Russian yesterday, but as it's all about healthcare and being ill that wasn't such a good idea.

I hope I can report better news soon!

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version