Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 60 ... 80 81 Next >>
stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4668 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 473 of 646
27 July 2013 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Don't you mean 読書 (-しょ) rather than 読誦 (-しょう)?

The former has a more general meaning, but the latter means something like "reading
aloud", and yahoo!辞書 states that it means something like "reading [buddhist text,
sutra, etc.] out loud" (声(こえ)を出して 経文(きょうもん)を 読むこと。).

Edited by stifa on 27 July 2013 at 7:59pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 474 of 646
27 July 2013 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
Oops, yes! That was a kanji typo. Thank you, I'll correct it.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 475 of 646
28 July 2013 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
SUNDAY, 28 JULY 2013

A short status update for my languages. I didn’t study very much this week, but I nevertheless managed to make some progress.

Русский

Reading literature is still too difficult for me, as I don’t have enough vocabulary yet. That’s why I have decided not to continue reading Смерть лорда Эдвера. Instead I will work through Colloquial Russian 2. I bought the book last year and never used it, so why not try it out? It will repeat some grammar points and introduce texts about Russia and the Russians. I will complement this with Russian Podcast and maybe some texts from Ну что, поехали?.

Gàidhlig

I have finished unit 28 and am now working on unit 29 in Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache. The topic of the unit is expressing family relations and using compound prepositions. Finally an easy unit after all the talk about green energies! I haven’t used TY and Colloquial yet, but I will get to that eventually.

Gaeilge

I am now working on unit 4 in Colloquial Irish. It’s the perfect course for an easy start into the language, especially with some background in Scottish Gaelic, because the focus is on communication and not on grammar. I’ll supplement it with a little bit of TY now and then and after finishing it I’ll work through Learning Irish and Basic Irish in order to get the grammar straight.

日本語

I have finally finished unit 7 in Colloquial Japanese, although I can’t say I have understood everything. There’s so much grammar and vocabulary and so little dialogue! I will have to repeat the kanji, too. Unit 8 deals with the past tense of adjectives, relative clauses, expressing ability, and comparing things. Let’s hope it won’t be as hard as unit 7.

Cymraeg

I have been listening to some Welsh again and I’m still amazed by the sound of the language, but I can’t imagine studying it. It sounds a bit like an alien language and nothing like Irish or Gaelic.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 476 of 646
04 August 2013 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
SUNDAY, 04 AUGUST 2013

Well, the 6 Week Challenge has started and I’m participating with Irish, but I’m not stressing myself out. I’m trying to study consistently without overdoing it. I don’t have much time during the week anyway, but I can study on the weekends.

Other than that, I’m eagerly waiting for August 15th, which will be my last day at work. After that, I’ll have two weeks of vacation and then I’ll start researching my dissertation again. I can’t wait for finally following my dream, which will hopefully mean that I can also make some major adjustments to my personal life. But I will have to go step by step, the first of which is waiting for September to come.

Русский

I have started working on Colloquial Russian 2. The first unit is mainly repetition, but that’s not a bad thing. I can refresh some grammar points and review some vocabulary. The topic of the unit is Russian and Soviet history.

Gàidhlig

I have finished unit 29 in Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache and am now working on unit 30. It’s about the Scottish holiday Hogmanay ("Oidche Challainn"), better known as New Year’s Eve. There’s not much grammar in this unit except emphatic constructions with 'S ann … a tha, but it teaches the names of the months and some idiomatic expressions.

Besides, I posted an entry in Gaelic on lang-8 and it really got a correction! There were only a few mistakes and a few unnatural expressions in it, so I’m quite happy.

Gaeilge

My studies of Irish are going well. I’m at unit 6 in Colloquial Irish and unit 4 in Teach Yourself Irish now. I’m mainly dealing with the present habitual while learning to talk about hobbies. The next topic will be telling the time. After finishing my Gaelic textbook, I will probably fully concentrate on Irish. It's by far the more beautiful language. Is breá liom Gaeilge!

日本語

After completing the terrible unit 7, things have got better in Japanese. Colloquial Japanese is still a rather demanding textbook, but at least the vocabulary is being repeated a lot. Grammar, however, is mostly thrown unsystematically at the learner without a sufficient amount of examples and exercises. Well, I’m not giving up! Maybe, I’m just not investing enough time and energy, but as I said: I don’t want to study Japanese that seriously right now.

Cymraeg

I’m still toying around with Colloquial Welsh. Although I’m still not studying Welsh, I couldn’t avoid learning the expressions for "Hello", "How are you?", "Good morning", and "Nice to meet you". I also learned that first person singular possession is simply expressed by nasal mutation of the initial consonant, so:

brawd ("brother") > mrawd ("my brother")

Well, I think I will study Welsh more seriously sooner or later, but it’s not a good time for starting it right now. I don’t really have enough time for the languages I’m already studying, so maybe I’ll start it as soon as I have finished my Gaelic textbook.

Additionally, I’ll have to see how much time and energy for language learning I’ll have in the future anyway. Researching a dissertation isn’t a walk in the park if you do it properly, so let’s wait and see!
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4623 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 477 of 646
05 August 2013 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
Yes, don't give up on Welsh. It may sound alien now, but (according to my wife who
learned it at school for about 5 years) it's perfectly regular in pronunciation once you
know the rules, and I think pretty regular in grammar.

I think it is spoken fairly clearly in general as well.
(I just connected to BBC Radio Cymru to remind myself what it sounded like. I think it is
quite a beautiful language, especially when sung).

Admittedly, the vocabulary does look a little bizarre.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 478 of 646
05 August 2013 at 6:14am | IP Logged 
Hey Josquin,I cannot really read the
literature either. So don't worry about it,
you'll get there.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 479 of 646
06 August 2013 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, montmorency! I think I will keep dabbling in Welsh a bit on the side, but I'm not going to study it seriously yet. When I have enough time, I might give it a serious try though. As I said, it sounds and looks very alien, but that makes it interesting at the same time. By now, I can only say: Shwmae, Christian dw i. Neis cwrdd â chi!

Thank you, tarvos! I hope you're right. The only problem is I would have to study vocabulary intensively in order to be able to read literature and I don't really have the time for that. On the other hand, I don't want to sacrifice my other languages for Russian, so my progress will probably be rather slow. Well, I'll keep on working with Colloquial 2 and my bilingual readers anyway.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 480 of 646
07 August 2013 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
I used a reader with a Dutch glossary and
comments to get through a Sholochov story. I
can do it that way but it ain't easy. However
it is something you can train by reading a
lot.

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version