Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 70 ... 80 81 Next >>
Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 553 of 646
10 November 2013 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
SUNDAY, 10 NOVEMBER 2013

I'm back to studying. The cold autumn weather in Germany is the perfect incentive to get back to the books, so I took up my languages again.

Русский

I have reread the dialogue from unit 4 in Colloquial Russian 2. The topic of the unit is migration to and from Russia, and the grammar deals with reflexive verbs and ordinal numbers. I still concentrate on reading in Russian and don't do much real studying.

Gàidhlig

I have read through the last edition of Litir do Luchd-ionnsachaidh. It's still quite demanding for me, because there are a lot of unknown words. However, there's an easier version available, called "An litir beag", which I will concentrate on for the time being.

Gaeilge

There has been no progress in Irish. I simply can't get to terms with Learning Irish and I don't have any better resources, so I'm kind of stuck.

日本語

I have completed unit 4 in Genki, but I still have to learn some vocabulary. I have already had a look at unit 5, which will mainly be about adjectives and the ~ましょう form. I already know these from Colloquial Japanese, so it won't be too difficult. Anyway, retaining the vocabulary is much more difficult than learning the grammar, so I will maybe give Anki another try.

Other

I have thought about starting Hungarian or Greek, but I haven't come to a decision yet. I'll give it some more time.

Edited by Josquin on 11 November 2013 at 10:54pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 554 of 646
11 November 2013 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
MONDAY, 11 NOVEMBER 2013

I have borrowed TY Hungarian from the library and had a look at the first unit. Although it looks interesting I have come to the conclusion that I won’t study Hungarian right now. Perhaps, I’ll dabble a little bit in it just for fun, but this won’t be anything serious.

Instead, I want to concentrate on the languages I am already studying with special emphasis on the Celtic languages. So, my study schedule for the near future will be reading a page of Russian now and then, improving my Scottish Gaelic by studying and using it actively, and doing some Irish and Japanese on the side.

Hungarian is fine and everything, but I’m aware now that my real passion is for the Celtic languages. I will repeat and reinforce some vocabulary and grammar from Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache, write something in Gaelic on Lang-8 now and then, and have a look at other textbooks like Colloquial and TY as well.

Although I would also love to learn Irish sooner or later, I think I will concentrate on Gaelic for the time being. Everything else would probably create too much interference. Perhaps, I’ll have a look at the structure of Old Irish and some Celtic philology, because I’m very much interested in that.

I might start Ancient Greek next year, but the rest of 2013 will be dedicated to the languages I’m already studying with the main focus on Gaelic!

Tha mi toilichte gum bi mi ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig a-rithist. Slàn leibh!

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4398 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 555 of 646
11 November 2013 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
Cum ort, a bhalaich! Hò rò na cànanan Ceilteach!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 556 of 646
11 November 2013 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
Tapadh leat, a charaid! Na cànanan Ceilteach gu bràth!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 557 of 646
21 November 2013 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
THURSDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2013

I haven't been too diligent over the last few days. I have done nothing for Russian and Japanese, and my Celtic languages don't look much better either. Repeating stuff from a textbook I've already finished is rather boring, so I didn't do much Gaelic.

However, I still have this odd feeling that Gaelic is only the little sister of Irish and learning Irish would be the real thing. Well, as you know I don't like the Ó Siadhail book, so I'm not making any progress in Irish, which annoys me to no end. I am thinking about ordering Buntús Cainte, which is available on the Internet, but I am a little short on money at the moment, so I will probably wait until December.

Until then, I am having a go at Old Irish grammar. I have bought the book Sengoidelc by David Stifter in order to learn about the structure of Old Irish. I don't really want to learn it, but rather see how it works.

Other than that, I still have to read Italian and Latin texts for my PhD thesis, so at least I'm getting some practice in these languages. I will have to deliver a presentation on my thesis a week before Christmas, so I probably won't have much time for languages during the next few weeks. I'm off to Berlin tomorrow, so this weekend will be spent on something different than languages as well.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 558 of 646
26 November 2013 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
TUESDAY, 26 NOVEMBER 2013

I’m back from my trip to Berlin. Besides having a good time in general, I also made some positive experiences connected to languages. Standing in line in front of the ticket desk of the Neues Museum, where the famous Nefertiti bust is kept (which, by the way, is gorgeous!), I was surrounded by Italians and Russians.

I wasn’t able to understand everything the Russians said, but I could grasp a great deal, and I understood everything the Italians said. I just stood there, listening to them, and thought: "How great it is to be able to understand people from foreign countries!" Well, I wasn’t bold enough to strike up a conversation with neither the Russians nor the Italians, but I was just happy eavesdropping on them.

Other than that, I browsed through the entire language section of Dussmann, the largest bookshop in Berlin. They had disappointingly little materials for Irish (and none at all for Gaelic!), but I found a nice annotated edition of Dostoyevsky’s Игрок (The Gambler). Of course, the language is rather dated and formal, but it’s nevertheless possible to get the gist of the story with the help of the annotations.

Back at home, I spent some time on my Celtic languages. I revised lessons 5 and 6 from Learning Irish, because I have come to the conclusion that I have to get to terms with this course whether I like it or not. Additionally, I have read the introduction to Old Irish phonology and orthography in Sengoidelc. It’s even more complicated than in Modern Irish!

I have done nothing in Japanese yet, but I plan to do so in the course of the week. I have prepared the biggest part of my presentation already, so there should be some time left for language studies.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 559 of 646
27 November 2013 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
WEDNESDAY, 27 NOVEMBER 2013

I took some time for my languages today, so I finally have some progress to report again.

Русский

I have read some pages from Игрок again. It's difficult, but at the same time interesting and challenging. Additionally, I have read another text in Colloquial Russian 2.

Gàidhlig

I am no longer studying Scottish Gaelic actively. Repeating texts from Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache is boring and TY Gaelic and Colloquial Scottish Gaelic aren't very interesting either. I have decided to finally concentrate on Irish, so all I will do in Gaelic for the next time is reading and listening to Litir do Luchd-ionnsachaidh now and then.

Gaeilge

I have continued working on Learning Irish. As soon as you accept that you won't learn any colloquial language in this course, it reveals itself as a very thorough and useful resource. I repeated lessons 5 and 6 and finally worke through lesson 7. Nevertheless, I want to complement my studies with Buntús Cainte and Living Language Irish to make sure I get some oral competence as well.

Sengoídelc

I repeated lesson 3 about the phonology and orthography of Old Irish.

日本語

I worked through unit 5 in Genki. As always, learning the vocabulary is the most difficult part, because I already knew most of the grammar. I will do some exercises later.

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4398 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 560 of 646
27 November 2013 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Sengoídelc?! I was thinking of dabbling in it a bit over the coming few months, though I
should probably focus on my other languages. Let me know how it compares to Irish/Gaelic!

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version