Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29 ... 80 81 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 225 of 646
07 November 2012 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
"Do you speak English?" and not "Can you speak English?"?

You can say both. There is a difference in nuance though - the first is more common and
refers to simply doing it, and the second is more a question of ability - are you
theoretically able to speak English.
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 226 of 646
07 November 2012 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
"Do you speak English?" and not "Can you speak English?"?

You can say both. There is a difference in nuance though - the first is more common and
refers to simply doing it, and the second is more a question of ability - are you
theoretically able to speak English.

So, can I say that I don't speak English because I don't do it on regular basis?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 227 of 646
07 November 2012 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
It's not black and white. If it's not on a (!) regular basis then I'd say "I speak
English, but not often/only a bit/whatever". I don't speak English means "I have never
spoken English in my life and am probably unable to", whereas I can't means I don't know
how to speak English.

They overlap and are to some extent synonymous. You're expressing a nuance and not a
definitive statement here.

AndrewS
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4220 days ago

27 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 228 of 646
07 November 2012 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
About girls and divisions.
As far as I am concerned, “две русских девушек” and “две тяжёлых дивизий” sound strange, saying mildly. Just in case, I tested my 8 years old son asking him to translate “two Russian students(girls)” and “two heavy divisions” into Russian. Invariable. I have no explanations, though, nor statistics.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 229 of 646
07 November 2012 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
AndrewS wrote:
About girls and divisions.
As far as I am concerned, “две русских девушек” and “две тяжёлых дивизий” sound strange, saying mildly. Just in case, I tested my 8 years old son asking him to translate “two Russian students(girls)” and “two heavy divisions” into Russian. Invariable. I have no explanations, though, nor statistics.

If you read the thread carefully, you will see that две тяжёлых дивизий was only a typo by Марк and should have been две тяжёлых дивизии. So, my question if there was anything like *две русских студенток was redundant. The only remaining question is what sounds better: две тяжёлых дивизии or две тяжёлые дивизии, respectively две русских студентки or две русские студентки. What would you say?

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 230 of 646
07 November 2012 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:

Many languages use singular with nouns because it is obvios how many objects one means.
In old Russian один, два, три, четыре were adjectives which agreed with nouns in case
and the first two gender (like modern один). два took dual, три, четыре - pl.
All the other were nouns which required gen. pl. (like modern тысяча). But when dual
fell, its forms of masculine forms were rethought to be gen. sing., and this spread to
three and four and to all genders as well. All the numerals started agree in case with
their nouns in cases other than nom. and acc.

I don't know if this post is useless. Just my own quote which you have already read.

AndrewS
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4220 days ago

27 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 231 of 646
07 November 2012 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Sorry, I wasn't careful, indeed(. I've come back to edit my post and oops, already was cought...
"Две тяжёлых дивизии" and "две русских студентки" can be appropriate and do not hurt my ears. My son, though (I can not resist.)),prefers "две тяжёлые дивизии" and "две русские студентки".

Edited by AndrewS on 07 November 2012 at 8:42pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 232 of 646
07 November 2012 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
WEDNESDAY, 07 NOVEMBER 2012

Thanks, Марк and AndrewS, for your contributions to the debate. So, if I get it right, both genitive and nominative plural are possible for feminine adjectives. I was aware of your quote, Марк, but I think it doesn't really explain why adjectives are treated so peculiarly after 2, 3, and 4.

I had a look at Old Church Slavonic grammar today, but there the dual was still fully functional - even with its own adjective endings and verb forms -, so the mystery remains how Russian came to this treatment of adjectives. I think it's possible to explain the genitive plural after 2, 3, and 4, because it's simply the form used for all other numbers except 1, but I'm clueless as far as the nominative for feminine adjectives is concerned.

Be that as it may, I spent the afternoon entirely with Russian. I did the exercises of unit 12, which mainly consisted of putting nouns into the nominative, genitive, and accusative plural. The other exercises were forming some imperatives and indirect questions with ли. The most difficult exercises were the translations, which dealt with rather abstract vocabulary.

That's all I did today. No Gaelic, no Old English, no Old Norse. Now, I'm going to watch a movie, in English.

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version