Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 80 81 Next >>
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4654 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 17 of 646
09 May 2012 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
Ah, don't worry, currently I'm fighting with Chinese characters and Persian verbs so...
Oh, and I've forgotten that Icelandic is somewhere in the back of my head...
...but from the back to the front there's a long and winding road ;)
Besides, I have enough languages as for now ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 18 of 646
09 May 2012 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
Ah, don't worry, currently I'm fighting with Chinese characters and Persian verbs so...
Oh, and I've forgotten that Icelandic is somewhere in the back of my head...
...but from the back to the front there's a long and winding road ;)
Besides, I have enough languages as for now ;)

Okay, but you should really consider learning Icelandic soon. It's really a great language - at least when you've got the hang of it! :)

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 19 of 646
09 May 2012 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
WEDNESDAY, 9 MAY 2012

Today, there was a great parade on Красная площадь (Red Square) in Москва (Moscow) to celebrate the end of World War II 67 years ago. Владимир Владимирович Путин (V. V. Putin), the new Russian President, and Prime Minister Дмитрий Анатольевич Медведев (D. A. Medvedev) were there and watched the former Красная армия (Red Army) march by. Perhaps, this gave me an extra boost for my Russian studies, because today I was on fire.

I repeated the vocabulary of lesson 1 - first with the vocabulary trainer and then with the book. There are still some words that won't stick to my brain like познакомься (make yourself acquainted) and гостиница (hotel). Nevertheless, I remembered most of the vocabulary and did the excercises for grammar and translation. They went very well, so I decided to have a look at unit 2.

Unit 2 deals with the present tense of the e-conjugation and with the prepositive singular. Both seem pretty simple and straightforward, but perhaps Марк is going to tell me again how complicated they are in reality. Just kidding! ;) The prepositive takes always the ending -e, only in a few cases it should be -и. I also learned the accusative forms of the personal pronouns and how to form the patronymics (father's names). But of course, I am going to repeat everything tomorrow, so I won't forget it.

Finally, I listened to the dialogue of lesson 2 while reading in the book. I understood almost everything and will learn the few unknown words tomorrow.

Edited by Josquin on 18 May 2012 at 4:53pm

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4654 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 20 of 646
09 May 2012 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:

Okay, but you should really consider learning Icelandic soon. It's really a great language - at least when you've got the hang of it! :)

I don't know. Apart from my current numbers of learned languages and some problems with... well, more motivation than anything else, I've already thought about Arabic (I find it disgraceful not to know Arabic at least at A1/A2 level while studying Persian) and something else... Actually, it could be my 6-weeks-language for the new edition in (I guess) September ;)
I've already checked some sources, so at least I can say "Ég er frá Póllandi" ;)

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 21 of 646
10 May 2012 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
Josquin wrote:

I don't know. Apart from my current numbers of learned languages and some problems with... well, more motivation than anything else, I've already thought about Arabic (I find it disgraceful not to know Arabic at least at A1/A2 level while studying Persian) and something else... Actually, it could be my 6-weeks-language for the new edition in (I guess) September ;)
I've already checked some sources, so at least I can say "Ég er frá Póllandi" ;)

Það er mjög góð íslenska! ;)

Okay, so don't learn it, but you don't know what you're missing. ;) Of course, Arabic has about 1000 times as many native speakers as Icelandic. I can see that point.

A six-week-challenge might be a good occasion for learning it. Think about it!

Edited by Josquin on 12 May 2012 at 10:22pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 22 of 646
10 May 2012 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
THURSDAY, 10 MAY 2012

Today, I betrayed my Russian a little bit and went astray.

After watching two episodes of Viltu læra íslensku? yesterday evening, I started a hot fling with Faroese this afternoon. I came across the Faroese song Handan Mjørkan by Eyðun og Terji in the Musik från Skandinavien thread in the Scandinavian subforum - and I immediately fell totally in love with the song and its language. Faroese sounds like some very odd mixture between Icelandic and Norwegian, but I really like it. I copied the lyrics of the song from Terji's homepage and read them while listening to the song about umpteen times. By the way, you can listen to the song on YouTube.

Now, Faroese is a very unphonetic language. You can't predict from a written text what it sounds like - at least I can't! (Any Faroese people around, please correct me.) For example, the word mjørkan in the song is pronounced ['mjœɹʂkan], 'í' is pronounced [ʊi], and long 'a' sounds like [ɛa]. Faroese is very unique among Scandinavian languages as it's the only one with an English 'r' sound [ɹ]. It also has a [ʒ] and a [ʃ], which Icelandic both does not possess. The language sounds a bit strange, but really, really cool! I immediately ordered Lockwood's Introduction to Modern Faroese from the university library. I just have to dabble in this language! I'm not going to learn it, but I want to learn about it.

After my affair with Faroese, I returned to Russian. I repeated lesson 2 - it was really easy - and went on to lesson 3. The only thing I still have to learn is the use of the prepositions в and на which both mean 'in' or 'to'. Some words take в, others на. You have to learn which word takes which.

Lesson 3 deals with the present tense of the и-conjugation as well as with the genitive singular and the accusative singular of the nouns. I haven't learned all rules yet, but it doesn't seem too complicated. The и-conjugation is a bit more difficult than the e-conjugation as its verbs can be subject to stem changes in the first person singular and to stress shifts.

Now, I think I will repeat some vocabulary, listen to the dialogues once more, and then conclude the evening with one or two episodes of Viltu læra íslensku? to relax. Tomorrow, I'll continue my affair with Faroese. I hope Russian won't find out - Russians are so jealous! ;)

EDIT: Added a link, corrected some typos.

Edited by Josquin on 10 May 2012 at 11:12pm

Loperamida
Bilingual Diglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4377 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English, French

Message 23 of 646
10 May 2012 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
What does mean log?

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4654 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 24 of 646
11 May 2012 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Oh, believe me, it's not about the number of speakers - this "something else" has actually even less speakers than Icelandic, as same as my dream languages - Maltese and Luxembourgish and, of course, Slovenia and Macedonia aren't enormous countries too. So it's not the point :)

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version