Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 ... 80 81 Next >>
Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 81 of 646
23 May 2012 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:

Oh, you can have some magic by trying to pronounce German soft 'ch' without making a
'sch' out of it. German 'ü' is also very popular as well as the '-er' sound [ɐ].

What is difficult in these German sounds? [/QUOTE]
Many foreigners don't master the distinction between sonft 'ch' [ç] and 'sch' [ʃ]. They
tend to pronounce soft 'ch' as [ʃ], which is wrong.

'Ü' is [y] like French 'u'. Many people have a problem with that sound.

The dull '-er' sound [ɐ] like in 'Wasser' ['vasɐ] tends to be confused with normal 'a',
which doesn't sound very good in German ears.

By the way, thank you for your help with the soft sounds and у меня![/QUOTE]
Не за что.
The first pair is not a problem for Russians at all, because хит and щит are
completely different words, so I could never think that they were similar sounds.
[y] is not very difficult for most people, i don't know why.

Edited by Марк on 23 May 2012 at 3:11pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 82 of 646
23 May 2012 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
WEDNESDAY, 23 MAY 2012

I didn't have a good day today. The weather was very strange and I had a headache. Thank God, it got better in the evening, so I could do my usual hour of Russian.

But I didn't do many new things today. I listened once more to lesson 7, repeated the vocabulary, and did the translation exercise I mentioned yesterday. Then I read the text of lesson 8, listened to the recording, and had a look at the ordinal numbers.

Here is the translation exercise I did today. As usual, I have translated it from German into Russian.

Дорогая Надя,

как твои дела? Как дела в университете? У меня всё нормально. У меня есть сейчас новый друг. Его зовут Мартин, ему 25 (двадцать пять) лет. Он тоже из Мюнхена, учится со мной в университете. Но он изучает медицину. Как и я, он много занимается спортом. Он очень умный, симпатичный и весёлый. У него красивые голубые глаза и тёмные волосы. К сожалению, интересуется только медициной и компьютером. Ах да, я учу сейчас русский язык, потому что хочу писать тебе письма по-русски.
Может быть, это уже последнее письмо по-немецки!
Привет Вадиму и Инне.

Твоя Штеффи

Edited by Josquin on 25 May 2012 at 9:03pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 83 of 646
24 May 2012 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
THURSDAY, 24 MAY 2012

Today, I was mainly busy with uni stuff and didn't have much time for studying Russian. So, I only made a quick review of lessons 7 and 8.

First, I repeated the vocabulary of lesson 7. Recognizing the Russian words isn't hard, the problem - or challenge - is translating from German into Russian. As Russian is a Slavic language, the vocabulary only seldom resembles words that I know from German or my other languages.

After repeating lesson 7, I had a look at lesson 8. I learned the ordinal numbers from 1 to 30 (will have to repeat them tomorrow), listened to the dialogue, and skimmed through the grammar explanations. Besides ordinal numbers, lesson 8 deals with prepositions of place, the prepositive on -у, which Марк had mentioned earlier in this thread, and the demonstrative pronouns этот, тот, and такой.

I didn't have much time for learning grammar or new vocabulary today. I will do that tomorrow. But I really enjoy my Russian course. The textbook is very well structured, and the dialogues are lively and entertaining. The grammar explanations are clear and useful, and the vocabulary that is presented is very useful as well. And most important of all: I like the Russian language very much.

But as this is a Russian and Icelandic log, I hasten to mention that I have been watching some episodes of Viltu læra íslensku? recently. Spoken Icelandic is still a problem for me, although my understanding has become better. Why do Icelanders have to speak so fast? Thank God there are subtitles, otherwise I wouldn't have understood very much.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 84 of 646
27 May 2012 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
WHITSUNDAY, 27 MAY 2012

A short update on my Russian journey: In the last two days, I haven't been studying very much due to other obligations. I have finished lesson 7 though and am now concentrating on lesson 8. I have mainly dealt with the dialogue and the grammar explanations, but I'm too lazy to do the exercises...

I just hate prepositions and the cases they govern. Didn't like them in Icelandic, don't like them in Russian. The prepositions of place that are presented in lesson 8 are rather easy though, as they mainly govern the instrumental case - only two of them govern the genitive.

The locative on -у doesn't seem to be too important, as there is only a small group of nouns which require it. I think it's most important to be able to recognize it, I won't be likely to use it in the next time anyway. The ordinal numbers up to 39 are rather logical and easy - I have seen worse.

Finally, a few words about yesterday's Eurovision Song Contest. I was convinced Iceland would score high. They had a fantastic song - although I would have liked it even better if it had been in Icelandic! :) But of course, all the Eastern European countries made sure that only their neighbours would get all the points, so that Russia, Albania, and Turkey - who had crappy songs - scored much higher than Iceland. In the end, Sweden won - unjustified. Don't get me wrong: I love Sweden, but I didn't like their song.

Edited by Josquin on 27 May 2012 at 8:53pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 85 of 646
27 May 2012 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
WHITSUNDAY, 27 MAY 2012
The locative on -у doesn't seem to be too important, as there is only a small group of
nouns which require it. I think it's most important to be able to recognize it, I won't
be likely to use it in the next time anyway.

Why? There are a lot of frequent words among them. For example, в году, на полу, в углу.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 86 of 646
27 May 2012 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Josquin wrote:
WHITSUNDAY, 27 MAY 2012
The locative on -у doesn't seem to be too important, as there is only a small group of
nouns which require it. I think it's most important to be able to recognize it, I won't
be likely to use it in the next time anyway.

Why? There are a lot of frequent words among them. For example, в году, на полу, в углу.

Yes, of course, you're right. I really should learn the words that require the locative. I was just looking for an excuse not to do it... Now, you have destroyed my apologies. *Sigh* I solemnly promise to learn them tomorrow...

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 87 of 646
27 May 2012 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations - even if you don't study a lot, you do it REGULARLY. Something what I constantly struggle with.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 88 of 646
29 May 2012 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
WHIT MONDAY, 28 MAY 2012

Today was a holiday in Germany, so I had enough time to study. Nevertheless, I spent most of the day creating videos of my orchestra and uploading them to YouTube.

Anyway, I worked a little bit on lesson 8 today, reread the dialogue, listened to the recordings, learned the vocabulary, and did the exercises. The locative on -у turned out not to be difficult at all as there are only few words that require it. They were easy to learn, let's hope I'll remember them when I need them.

I also had a little preview of lesson 9. It's mainly about telling the time and describing one's day. It seems to be pretty easy, but maybe that's only the quiet before the storm, because in lesson 10, verbal aspects will be introduced. I am really looking forward to that... (You know sarcasm when you read it, don't you?) But maybe the whole aspect thing isn't even as bad as I fear, we'll see.

@prz_: Thank you for your kind words, but I have to push myself to really do something, too. It works quite well with learning Russian, but don't ask me about my dissertation...

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version