Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 ... 80 81 Next >>
Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 145 of 646
01 September 2012 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
SATURDAY, 1 SEPTEMBER 2012

Dear followers of my log,

this is to inform you that I'm currently not studying languages as there has been a bereavement in my family. Studying languages is the last thing I can think about at the moment, so please don't be disappointed that I won't update my log for an uncertain time. I hope to be able to study again soon, but please understand that I need some time now.

Yours sincerely,

Josquin

Edited by Josquin on 01 September 2012 at 2:06pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 146 of 646
14 September 2012 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
FRIDAY, 14 SEPTEMBER 2012

Hello everybody, I am back!

After mourning my stepfather's far too early death and starting my internship at a music company, I finally found some time to study some Russian yesterday and today. I have read and learned the two final chapters of my Langenscheidt Russian course. As I have already told you, lesson 17 deals with ordinal numbers bigger than 39, counting years, the compound superlative of adjectives, and fleeting vowels in masculine nouns.

The most difficult part is the ordinal numbers and counting years. I think everyone agrees that numbers are always difficult in foreign languages, and I tend to think that ordinal numbers are even somehow harder than cardinal numbers. Unfortunately, Russian uses ordinal numbers for counting years, so this is especially hard. You don't only have to use big numbers, but you even have to make them ordinals and decline them. The superlative and fleeting vowels on the other hand are very easy. I already knew the concept of fleeting vowels from Icelandic, so it wasn't entirely new to me. The superlative is simply formed by using the pronoun самый + adjective.

Lesson 18 deals with the plural declination of nouns, the и-declination, the neuter nouns ending in -мя, and some other minor topics like the pronoun друг друга and expressing wishes by using the subjunctive. The plural of nouns is very easy, as there are the same endings for all declinations in the dative, instrumental, and prepositional case. The only difficult part is the genitive, whose endings depend on the final sound of the stem. But I didn't find it too complicated. After doing some exercises, the concept should stick.

I also did the exercises of lesson 17, which primarily consisted of writing dates and ordinal numbers in words. There was a nice translation exercise, which I would like to show you. It's a short biography of the writer Anton Chekhov:

Великий русский писатель Антон Павлович Чехов родился в 1860-ом (тысяча восемьсот шестидесятом) году в городе Таганроге в юге России. После гимназии Чехов поступил на медицинский факультет Московского университета. Он изучал медицину и писал свои первые рассказы, которые он опубликовал в 1884-ом (тысяча восемьсот восемьдесят четвёртом) году. После учёбы в университете Чехов долго работал врачом, хотя он тогда уже был известным писателем. Жизнь Чехова была коротка - он умер в 44 года в 1904-ом (тысяча девятьсот четвёртом) году.

I will repeat lesson 18 tomorrow and after that do the exercises. There's still a final test at the end of the book, which I will do after having finished lesson 18. Then my Langenscheidt course is over. I'll probably proceed with volume two of Routledge's Colloquial Russian. It seems to be a solid course for advanced beginners like me, as it takes you beyond the very basics which I know by now. There's still much to learn. I don't even know the plural declension of adjectives and demonstrative pronouns, the declination of numerals, noun-adjective agreement in the plural, and the participles by now. Some very important concepts in my opinion!

Edited by Josquin on 14 September 2012 at 7:35pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 147 of 646
15 September 2012 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
FRIDAY, 14 SEPTEMBER 2012

The most difficult part is the ordinal numbers and counting years. I think everyone
agrees that numbers are always difficult in foreign languages, and I tend to think that
ordinal numbers are even somehow harder than cardinal numbers. Unfortunately, Russian
uses ordinal numbers for counting years, so this is especially hard. You don't only
have to use big numbers, but you even have to make them ordinals and decline them. The
superlative and fleeting vowels on the other hand are very easy. I already knew the
concept of fleeting vowels from Icelandic, so it wasn't entirely new to me. The
superlative is simply formed by using the pronoun самый + adjective.

I wonder why so many languages use cardinal numerals with years, while they use ordinal
numerals for centuries for example.
Ordinal numerals are much easier than cardinal ones because the former are usual
adjectives and have the regular declension pattern.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 148 of 646
15 September 2012 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
I wonder why so many languages use cardinal numerals with years, while they use ordinal
numerals for centuries for example.
Ordinal numerals are much easier than cardinal ones because the former are usual
adjectives and have the regular declension pattern.

Yes, you're right. In Russian, the declension of ordinal numbers is easier than the one of cardinal numbers. But I think I know the cardinal numbers better than the ordinal ones, and many ordinals are formed irregularly: первый, второй, третий/третья/третье, четвёртый, седьмой, восьмой, сороковой, пятидесятый (similarly: 60, 70, 80), сотый, тысячный. That's what makes them difficult for me.

Edited by Josquin on 15 September 2012 at 7:37pm

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 149 of 646
15 September 2012 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
Well, for Slavs it's not difficult, at all :D
I'm glad that you're back. Now I'll be away for a while - BA dissertation...

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 150 of 646
16 September 2012 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
Well, for Slavs it's not difficult, at all :D
I'm glad that you're back. Now I'll be away for a while - BA dissertation...

Well, in my next life, I'm gonna be a Slav then! Just can't decide whether to be a Czech or a Pole... ;)

Thanks for your kind words and good luck with your dissertation! I'm not working on mine during the internship, although I would like to.
Unfortunately, I didn't manage to study languages this weekend either. The weather was just too fine! :)

Edited by Josquin on 16 September 2012 at 7:58pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 151 of 646
16 September 2012 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
I've just thought that saying в тысяча девятьсот сорок пятом is much easier than в тысяче
девятистах сорока пяти
The endings in the dat., instr., prep. pl. are nearly always the same but the stress is
unpredictable for certain groups of nouns. The problem is that the nom. pl. often
demonstrates "чудеса" (the pl. of чудо).

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 152 of 646
17 September 2012 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
I've just thought that saying в тысяча девятьсот сорок пятом is much easier than в тысяче девятистах сорока пяти.

Oh yes, I can see that! I haven't had the declination of numerals yet, so I didn't know it was that complicated. I guess Russian just isn't for sissies...

Марк wrote:
The endings in the dat., instr., prep. pl. are nearly always the same but the stress is
unpredictable for certain groups of nouns. The problem is that the nom. pl. often
demonstrates "чудеса" (the pl. of чудо).

Yeah, I especially like words like друзья, уши, сыновья, яблоки...
And stress is a problem I have successfully suppressed by now. ;)

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version