Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 35 ... 80 81 Next >>
Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 273 of 646
25 December 2012 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Возможно ли не ссориться? Сегодня (запатное) Рождество. Я забыл, что русские празднуют Рождество 7-ого января, но почему не уже сейчас им желать хороших праздников?

С Рождеством!
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 274 of 646
25 December 2012 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Возможно ли не ссориться? Сегодня (западное) Рождество. Я забыл, что
русские празднуют Рождество 7-ого января, но почему уже сейчас не пожелать им хороших
праздников?

С Рождеством!

"Возможно ли не ссориться?" - это как-то чересчур. "Можно не ссориться?" Конечно, можно и
сейчас пожелать. Вас тоже с Рождеством.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 275 of 646
27 December 2012 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
THURSDAY, 27 DECEMBER 2012

I have got back to studying. The Holidays were rather relaxed and laid back, but family and friends nevertheless took their toll. That's why I mainly focussed on repetition today.

I repeated the Russian verbs of motion and the texts of lesson 14 and 15 in Colloquial Russian. Then I had a first look at lesson 16. It is difficult to retain all the vocabulary, because you seldom use more extravagant words. Even if I'm able to recognize them, I probably wouldn't be able to use them actively.

Lesson 16 deals with the comparative of adjectives, so this will mainly be repetition for me as well. I still have to do the translations exercises of lesson 15, but they put me off a bit. Translating sentences like: "Peter the Great founded St Petersburg in 1703, because he needed an outlet to the Baltic Sea" is challenging and a bit discouraging at the same time.

I also did some Scottish Gaelic, as I will be part of Clan Lugus in 2013. Gaelic is really fascinating, because it's so exotic and many things work quite differently from the other languages I already know. Gaelic is my "adventure" language for 2013: I don't know how far I'll get and I don't really have plans for using it actively, but I'd nevertheless like to get better in it.

So, I repeated lessons 3 and 4 in Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache. I'll have to drill the rules for the definite article again, because I've already forgotten them again, but as in Russian, my main concern for today was to refresh my vocabulary.

I had a short look at some texts in my Icelandic textbook, but I didn't really do anything serious. I wish I had more time, so I could study more intensively. Well, I don't know if it's going to get better during the next days, because I'll go by train to Hamburg tomorrow. There, I'll meet up with some friends and drive to Denmark where I'll spend New Year's Eve.

Unfortunately, I haven't learned any Danish, but I've bought a Kauderwelsch language guide, so I'll at least know some tourist phrases. I don't know if I'll have Internet access in Denmark, so I'll already wish you a happy new year now!

С Новым годом!

Edited by Josquin on 27 December 2012 at 7:25pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 276 of 646
27 December 2012 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
You might try some Swedish and see how much they get.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 277 of 646
27 December 2012 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I might try that, but I guess the main problem would be understanding their answers... Well, there's always English as last resort. ;)

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4398 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 278 of 646
27 December 2012 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
Hope this helps you and saves you some time! It'll help me solidify it in my own head!

The Definate Article

Nouns are either M or F, and this effects what the article will be. Furthermore, all
nouns belong to one of three categories (well, technically four).

Beginning with a consonant (n.b. S)
Beginning with a labials (sounds made with the lips)
Beginning with a vowel

Masculine Nouns
If the noun begins with B,F,M,P the article is "am":
am balach (the boy), am fear (the man), am peann (the pen), am ministear (the
minister).

This makes sense, as M is a labial sound also. Something this happens in English (and
many others I'm sure), the word "input" is often pronounced "imput" as pointed out in
Scottish Gaelic in Twelve Weeks.

All other masculine nouns beginning with a consonant take the article "an":
an tidsear (the teacher), an sagart (the priest), an loch (the lake)

If the noun begins with a vowel, the article is "an" but you add "t-" to the beginning
of the noun:
an t-uisge (the water), an t-im (the butter), an t-eilean (the island).

Feminine
Beginning with a vowel- the article is simply "an"
an obair (the work)

If a noun begins with s, sl, sr, sn the article is "an" PLUS "t-", BUT NOT
before sg, sp, st, sm:

an t-sùil (the eye) BUT an sgoil

Feminine consonants beginning with "F", the article is "an" and the noun takes a "h"
(lenition)

an fhuil (the blood)

If the noun begins with d,t or s, the article is "an",
an deoch (the drink), an teanga (the tongue)

If the noun begins with any other consonant not already mentioned, the article is "a'"
and the noun takes a "h"

To compare:

Am balach (M)        VS     A' bhò (F)
An t-uisge (M)        VS    An obair (F)
An tidsear (M)        VS    An teanga (F)
An sagart (M)        VS    An t-sùil (F) BUT An sgoil (F)

Edited by liammcg on 27 December 2012 at 8:01pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 279 of 646
27 December 2012 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Good to see that someone on our team has a bit of structure :-) I am doing a little Greek and Russian every day, but structured is not quite how I would describe it.

riff
United States
Joined 5088 days ago

32 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 280 of 646
01 January 2013 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
I look forward to your updates about Russian, Josquin. It should be a piece of cake after
Icelandic and Latin, right? I guess we'll see :).

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version