Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 68 ... 80 81 Next >>
Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 537 of 646
24 September 2013 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
TUESDAY, 24 SEPTEMBER 2013

Yeah, prz_, I definitely had something like that in the back of my mind. Well, I don't care any more.

Instead, I did some Mandarin, Japanese, and even Irish today. Colloquial Chinese appears to be a really well-designed course. I'm enjoying it. And Genki is simply marvelous! It's far superior to Colloquial Japanese.

Anyway, they bring out a new Colloquial Japanese, which has been completely redesigned, in November. I think I won't buy it, as I'm busy with Genki right now, but it's good to know Routledge noticed that this course needed some working-over.

Learning Irish (the book, not the process) is boring as ever, but I'm not giving up. At the moment, my focus is on Japanese anyway, so I can live with having a boring resource for Irish. I'm still looking forward to Living Language Irish, which will be published in February. Maybe, I'll simply keep Irish on low heat until then -- figuratively speaking.

So, facts and figures:

日本語

I'm working on unit 3 in Genki. They explained ru- and u-verbs (also known as ichidan and godan verbs) in a way that I finally completely understood the concept. I also repeated plain and polite forms of the present tense as well as basic particles. Everything is still very easy, because I already knew most of that from Colloquial.

中文

Working on unit 1 in Colloquial Chinese. I'm listening to and imitating the recordings very intensively. I want to aquire a feeling for the tones as soon as possible. They're no rocket science, but in the beginning it's difficult to produce and recognize the correct tones in connected speech. The topics of the unit are greetings and simple pleasantries.

I think Mandarin will be interesting as there is no morphology, only syntax and particles. Quite a different feeling compared to Russian! I decided to leave hanzi out of the picture for the moment, as I want to concentrate on Japanese kanji first. Learning both simultaneously would only lead to major confusion.

Gaeilge

I finished lesson 5 in Learning Irish. The main grammatical topic was eclipsis after combinations of a preposition and the definite article. I already knew that from Colloquial Irish. The sentences in the text now mainly consist of "There is an X on/in/at/under the Y". Very interesting! ;)

Other languages

No further activities except watching the new episodes of How I Met Your Mother (in English, of course).

Edited by Josquin on 24 September 2013 at 10:14pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5142 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 538 of 646
25 September 2013 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
I’m sure you know about it already because it must have been mentioned somewhere on the forum, but since you are enjoying Genki at the moment I just wanted to remind you that there’s a free ‘interactive listening practice site based on’ that textbook.

mykikitori

I know that Genki has quite a rich audio component (several CDs, if I remember correctly), but I like redundancy in my materials and I believe that for listening comprehension some more tracks of comprehensible audio are always good to have.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 539 of 646
25 September 2013 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the link, Emme! No, I didn't know this site, so it's a good opportunity to listen to some comprehensible input.

The Genki book comes with a CD-ROM with plenty of audio material on it, but you're right: There is never enough.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 540 of 646
29 September 2013 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
SUNDAY, 29 SEPTEMBER 2013

I haven’t done much during the last few days. I’m taking a little break from the Celtic languages and concentrate on East Asia instead. I also managed to do a little bit of Russian, but it wasn’t much.

Русский

Я немного занимался Анки (как склоняется «Анки»?) и повторил некоторые слова. Потом я прочитал текст из «Ну что, поехали?» и другой из третьего урока Коллоквиала 2. Первый текст был о королеве Анне Ярославне а второй о теплоходной поездке по «Золотому Кольцу». Я также повторил глаголы движения.

I repeated some vocabulary with Anki and read two texts. The first one was from my bilingual reader and the second one from unit 3 of Colloquial Russian 2. They were about Queen Anna Yaroslavna and boat tours around the “Golden Ring”. I also repeated the verbs of motion.

日本語

また日本語を勉強している。 「元気」の本 はなかなかいいで、 大好きだよ。 よく日 本語を勉強する予定だ。

I’m still working on unit 3 in Genki. There are lots of exercises and I really want to learn the new words, so I enter them all into Anki. Genki is extremely good and I really like it. I’m planning to study Japanese more often in the future.

中文

I have worked through unit 1 in Colloquial Chinese and also had a look at unit 2. This is what I can say by now, although I by no means know all the hanzi yet. As I said, I want to stick to pinyin for the time being anyway.

你好。 我是克利斯汀。 很高兴见到你。 请叫我若斯坎吧。 我是德国人。 我会说一点儿中文。

At the moment, the hardest thing is remembering the tones and reproducing them correctly, so I listen to the recordings a lot.

Other

I would like to write something in Gaelic or Irish, but as I haven’t done anything in either language, I simply have to say: "The rest is silence". Unfortunately, I can’t say that in Irish, but it makes me think of what "Hamlet" might sound like in a Celtic language. I guess I’ll never know, so I’ll simply keep reading Wuthering Heights in English.

Slán agaibh!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 541 of 646
29 September 2013 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
Been caught by the Anki bug, too, Josquin? It seems everyone is using that now. (I have
too, but I quit.)

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4029 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 542 of 646
29 September 2013 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
как склоняется «Анки»?

Да никак. Обычный случай слова иностранного происхождения. Конечно, разные люди думают по-разному, возможно, кто-то и попытается как-то просклонять какое-нибудь необычное слово (жду тебя в Фэйсбуке (Facebook), например), но люди поймут в любом случае.

Edited by Via Diva on 29 September 2013 at 4:40pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 543 of 646
29 September 2013 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
@tarvos: Yes, it's a love-hate relationship, but I simply don't know how to efficiently retain Japanese vocabulary without Anki. So, I entered my words from Genki and while I was at it, I saw my Russian deck and thought: "Why not?" So, I'm using Anki again, but I don't know if I'll repeat my decks regularly. It's a great tool, but it also takes a lot of time and energy.

@Via Diva: Спасибо большое!

Edited by Josquin on 29 September 2013 at 5:23pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 544 of 646
29 September 2013 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
I wish you had not reminded me of Anki. Major bad conscience attack approaching :-)

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version