Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Josquin’s Language Symphony (RU, IR, 東亜)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
646 messages over 81 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25 ... 80 81 Next >>
Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 193 of 646
17 October 2012 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
Quote:
I had some time for reading Old Norse sagas on the train

A priceless sight :D

You will laugh: Once I saw a man reading Homer's Odyssey in the original on the train! Compared to that, Icelandic sagas are only half as nerdy. ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 194 of 646
17 October 2012 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
Josquin, I have the 1997 edition of Colloquial Russian as a file (I don't have the
audio). PM me if you want a copy. It is indeed a very good and comprehensive volume and
I'm working through it one unit a week - I have done up and until unit 17.

Edited by tarvos on 17 October 2012 at 9:51am

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 195 of 646
20 October 2012 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
SATURDAY, 20 OCTOBER 2012

Thanks to tarvos, I now have a copy of Colloquial Russian 1 and can continue my studies of Russian. I have skimmed through the book in order to find a good place to begin and decided to start with lesson 9, which is a repition of stuff I already know, before lesson 10 will introduce me to more verbs of motion and especially a lot of unknown vocabulary.

I have ventured to make a recording of me reading out the first half of lesson 9 from Colloquial Russian. I would be thankful to any native speaker or advanced student of Russian to comment on that. I don't think it's especially good, but I tried my best. There's one mistake I would like to point out beforehand. I read: "... под Москвой на даче и подруги Сони". That should of course have been: "у подруги Сони", but I didn't want to make a complete new recording because of one minor mistake.

Here's the link to the file: Colloquial Russian 9. Just click on 'Download'. If there's a security warning (I get one on Firefox), please ignore it. There are no viruses or the like in the file. The file will be deleted from the upload platform automatically 90 days from now, so it's only accessible during that time.

Other than that, I have been reading Hrafnkels saga, so I covered both my target languages during the last few days. I have decided to drop Scottish Gaelic from my list of languages I study, because I will only dabble in that. I can't handle serious study of another language right now. I haven't done anything in Old English either, I only had a short conversation in Modern English with my flatmate's friend from Scotland. Her Scottish accent gave me a hard time, but I did quite well.

EDIT: I had to fix the link. It should work now.

Edited by Josquin on 20 October 2012 at 9:12pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 196 of 646
20 October 2012 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
That's good. There is a strange mistake: you forget to unvoice final consonats. год,
мороз, снег must be pronounced гот, морос, снек with clear т, с, к.
Your vowel reduction is sometimes insufficient. Под with clear o, месЯц and so on.
In general stresses are not marked well enough. The stressed syllable must be longer
than
unstressed ones. болщой, находилься, дольго (you may say находилса), "ли" in some verbs
must be soft, м in сами must be soft.Встреча I didn't here the first ф. ДрУзья - extra
reduction. Ш, Ж are not hard
enough, while щ in счастье is correct. Било instead of было. I'll write more
accurately
and in detail later.
Р is not always soft, when necessary. I mean before и: дарили. Сегодня c must be soft
here. The intonation is unfortunately non-existant.

Edited by Марк on 20 October 2012 at 8:05pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 197 of 646
20 October 2012 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
That's good.

Thanks Марк, but according to your corrections, it wasn't that good...

Марк wrote:
There is a strange mistake: you forget to unvoice final consonats. год, мороз, снег must be pronounced гот, морос, снек with clear т, с, к.

Thanks, I guess I'm a bit confused by my foreign languages. Most languages allow voiced consonants at the end of a word, while German and Russian don't. So, one might think it must be easy for a German to unvoice final consonants in Russian, but when reading out a text in a foreign language I obviously automatically want to voice them.

Марк wrote:
Your vowel reduction is sometimes insufficient. Под with clear o, месЯц and so on.

I thought so. Thanks for confirming that.

Марк wrote:
In general stresses are not marked well enough. The stressed syllable must be longer than unstressed ones.

Interesting. Will try to fix that.

Марк wrote:
The intonation is unfortunately non-existant.

Hmm, some people say I tend to speak a bit monotonously, but I guess that's not the problem here. I think the problem stems from the fact that I chose an unknown text which I didn't prepare. I'll post a new file with a dialogue from my Langenscheidt course which I'll practise before recording it. Let's see if it's better then. But generally speaking, I think getting the intonation of a language right is a rather advanced problem.

About hard and soft consonants: I know I have to work on them, but sometimes I don't even hear the difference...

Once again: Большое спасибо!

AndrewS
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4220 days ago

27 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 198 of 646
20 October 2012 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Марк, oho!
Josquin, you would be understood everywhere in Russia without any doubt. And with such analysis you can do much better, of course. What level are you going to achieve?

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 199 of 646
20 October 2012 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your kind words, AndrewS. I am aiming for a good B1 at the moment. I think that's the most realistic goal for someone who's studying on his own. Achieving a higher level would require a lot of input with original material or a stay in Russia.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 200 of 646
22 October 2012 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
You get hard and soft consonants right most of the time. It impressed me. You fail to
pronounce hard Ш and Ж, however.
One more thing: What's the position of your tongue when you pronounce hard т, д, н? The
tip of the tongue must be at the bottom of the upper teeth or even touch the lower teeth.
It seems to me that the tip of you tongue is higher when you pronounce these sounds.

Edited by Марк on 23 October 2012 at 12:32pm

This discussion contains 646 messages over 81 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version