Groupie
United States
Joined 4610 days ago

65 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 337 of 346
11 November 2012 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
For me, the last languages I would want to learn are Dutch and Kazakh.

I don't like how Dutch sounds, don't plan on going to the Netherlands, and know that many Dutch people speak
excellent English. I am already learning Swedish, which is similar to Dutch in this case.

For Kazakh, I have to say that Central Asia is probably the only part of the world that doesn't interest me -
desolate landscapes, extremely distant, I have never met anyone from the smaller "stans" and even if I did, it is
likely they would speak Russian (which I plan on returning to) or English.

I am tempted to put German on this list, for some of the same reasons as Dutch. However, I studied German for
six years in middle school and high school and it seems like hundreds of hours of class time would go to waste,
as well as a language that could be a good auxiliary language. Perhaps it's best not to go back to a language
because I "should" learn it again?
1 person has voted this message useful

zerrubabbel
United States
Joined 4395 days ago

232 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 338 of 346
12 November 2012 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
any dead language... it just seems like a waste of my time to learn a language that people dont speak... so off that
basis, the languages I do want to learn have many speakers, and many opportunities to practice and converse

Eternica
Triglot
United States
Joined 4867 days ago

24 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese, English*, French
Studies: Hungarian, Spanish

Message 339 of 346
13 November 2012 at 9:07am | IP Logged 
I think this is a potentially good topic since this helps you set your priorities
straight (especially when you want to learn every single language in the world). Of
course, it's a rather sensitive issue to say you're not "interested" in a certain
culture.

I'm just going to talk about the more common languages.

For me:
1. Italian (intensely overrated, IMO... this is the last major Romance language I'd
touch)
2. Czech (no interest; I absolutely find it ugly that a Slavic language uses the Latin
script: it looks so unnatural to me after having studied a bit of Russian)
3. Serbo-Croatian (just a question of priority)
4. Greek (not much interest here either)
5. Korean (not too interested in this part of Asia)
6. Hindi (don't think it'd be too useful either as Indians tend not to be too attached
to their language, let alone the fact that Hindi isn't every Indian's mother tongue)

I would've placed Japanese, German, and Dutch here too, but learning bits of these
languages has been too fun, so I can't completely abandon those possibilities. It's
hard to seriously really write anything off.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Asal
Bilingual Heptaglot
YugoslaviaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4211 days ago

25 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: Croatian*, Serbian*, SpanishC2, Latin, English, Persian, Macedonian
Studies: Norwegian

Message 340 of 346
03 December 2012 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
I don't plan on stopping at all, so who knows..

MarcusOdim
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4642 days ago

91 posts - 142 votes 

Message 341 of 346
07 December 2012 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
Any Slavic language:
Polish has too much czczczschschsch
Serbian/Slovak/Czech.. just sound ugly to me
Romanian, it doesn't matter how much I love the Romance languages, Romanian is just too slavic-souding to me
Russian, I actually used to like this language, but I've grown to hate it's ye ya yo you thing and they barely open they mouths to speak

Chinese languages, just NO
Arabic
Click languages

I've found my true passions, Greek, German, Finnish, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan, English and Swedish.

Edited by MarcusOdim on 07 December 2012 at 11:41am

cacue23
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4094 days ago

89 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: Shanghainese, Mandarin*, English
Studies: Cantonese

Message 342 of 346
26 February 2013 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
Errr... I don't know which language would be the last one I'd ever want to learn... since it would be a language that I never know and never heard of. I don't think I would know the names of every language on earth.

ling
Diglot
Groupie
Taiwan
Joined 4381 days ago

61 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Indonesian, Thai

Message 343 of 346
26 February 2013 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
Taiwanese (the Min-based dialect spoken in Taiwan). Sorry, but ugh. If there's any
language in the world I wouldn't mind going extinct...

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 344 of 346
26 February 2013 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
Thanks God for Czech using the latin alphabet :-D (and in that case, you won't probably
wanna learn Slovak, Polish and Croatian too).

I think it is very good to consider languages we don't want to learn because too many
of us, after seeing this huge world of choices, are too undecisive and somehow want to
learn "all of them". So, starting from the other side is not a bad thing.

For me, there is a list:

1.Klingon. Difficult and invented? And invented to be difficult? No way. But I may
learn Elvish one day.
2.Any natural language with less than 100000 speakers. Above that, it's ok for me
3.Any "small" asian language. May sound funny from a Czech speaker, but I mean all
those Thai, Vietnamese and so on. Sure, I could use Vietnamese quite a lot here. But
learning six tones just to read names of meals correctly?
4.those clicking languages of Africa. I can't imagine myself learning the sound. And I
don't think there is a lot to do with those, unless you go to the area where these are
spoken.
5.Indian languages. Yes, India is one of the strong roots of our world, languages and
culture but somehow, I don't feel attracted to those languages.
6.Romanian and Portuguese. It seems like the obvious choice for someone learning more
languages to continue in the family. And I like Coelho. But I dislike the sound of
these two. I am still undecided whether Esperanto will join this nwih list.
7.Romani (not Romanian. the gypsy language). For many reasons.

This discussion contains 346 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version