Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
346 messages over 44 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 ... 43 44 Next >>
Adamdm
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5232 days ago

62 posts - 89 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Dari, German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 209 of 346
17 June 2010 at 3:32am | IP Logged 
nadia wrote:
I think all cultures and languages are fascinating. I'd love to learn Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Arabic, but the hieroglyphs, tones, and quaint scripts, while being fasinating, really intimidate me. I do hope to get to them one day, as I adore those cultures. And Native American languages - wouldn't it be fantastic to know what they speak like and what concepts their languages include and so on? :)

The only language I wouldn't want to learn is Esperanto, because it doesn't have any culture attached to it. I mean, where's the literature, the cinema? And we already have English as the universal international language.

Yes, I thought that too ...

Recently, I had a good day at a second-hand book shop. The estate of a deceased linguaphile must have just arrived - I scored lots of books in/about various languages, dictionaries, etc etc - including some in (as I later figured out, while examining my haul at home) Esperanto - one volume on the subject of ancient Akkadian, another on Gallic. A lot of the stuff written in Esperanto seems to be about language and philology. Rather ironic, if you think that the aim of Esperanto was to replace the wonderful diversity of natural languages, that Esperantists were so interested in languages. Kind of like a Christian missionary documenting the heathen rites of the savages he is trying to convert.

Anyway, the great thing is that you don't need to 'learn' Esperanto to be able to read it. If you have a bit of knowledge of some Europena (principally Romance) languages, you will understand it easily.
1 person has voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5845 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 210 of 346
17 June 2010 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
Chalk up another vote for Esperanto.

shahvlad
Belgium
Joined 5104 days ago

19 posts - 38 votes

Message 211 of 346
17 June 2010 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
From the top of my head: indigenous African languages, Dravidian and Turkic languages, Thai, Vietnamese and Japanese. And last but not least, Esperanto. And any other artificial language for that matter.

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5362 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 212 of 346
17 June 2010 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
Chalk me up as another person who thinks this thread serves no purpose other than getting people mad. Why not list your reasons why you don't want to belong to this or that ethnicity, why you don't want to learn about this or that culture, why you don't want to live in this or that country? It's pointless and just asking for offensive comments.
Adamdm wrote:
Rather ironic, if you think that the aim of Esperanto was to replace the wonderful diversity of natural languages, that Esperantists were so interested in languages.

Wait, what? Since when was Esperanto about replacing the diversity of natural languages? Zamenhof's goal in creating Esperanto was to have a worldwide second language so that people of different linguistic backgrounds could communicate with each other. It is a misconception that Esperanto was intended to be used as a first language to displace other languages the way that English and other major languages are currently doing.

Edited by Levi on 17 June 2010 at 11:23pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

chucknorrisman
Triglot
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

321 posts - 435 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Lithuanian, French

Message 213 of 346
17 June 2010 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
I have interest in all languages even if it's just a little bit, but I have set priorities, and I don't think I will be able to get to learn all of them before I die. I don't have any languages in the "to never learn" list, but the languages that are in my "to learn later" list are just most artificial languages, except Esperanto and Lojban.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ubik
United States
ubykh.wordpress.com/
Joined 5111 days ago

147 posts - 176 votes 
Studies: Latin, Arabic (Egyptian), German, Spanish

Message 214 of 346
17 June 2010 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this thread or its intent. People are so quick to get their panties in a bunch and in a lot of cases (especially people in the US), we are "programmed" to go through the motions of being insulted because thats whats driven into our skulls from the media and politics (one and the same mostly). If it wasnt crammed down our throats to get insulted at stuff like that, most people wouldnt even think for a second that something so harmless is actually insulting. Now, I cant speak for individuals who might come in and say something like "I dont want to learn Spanish because I hate MExicans!" or something -- thats obviously a racist statement (which no one thus far has made thankfully)

As for my opinion, Esperanto is an obvious choice. Its like a test-tube baby. Its just not natural -- not the real thing. Down from that, if my native language wasnt English, I would say English.

But my "real" choice would be French because among other reasons to learn a language (usefulness, resource availablity, and culture to name a few), the language also has to be aesthetically pleasing which usually means the sound of it, but to me it also means grammar, and for me most importantly: grapheme:phoneme ratio (which is the worst in that regard that I can think of -- other than maybe English). Pronunciation is very important to me, and for some reason that creates a mental block for me when I cant get beyond that step. Its probably due to my OCD (getting "stuck").

I also dont like tons of different diacritical marks on letters (for some reason this doesnt apply to completely different letters and scripts, but only to the Roman alphabet)

Now, I do love the culture (most notably the film industry), but also art, literature, etc. French cuisine is good, and most French people Ive met are cool so its not a personal thing. I just cant stand the language.

Another minor reason is that its already so popular. Its not that I want to learn something really weird because of chic factor, but the opposite *does* apply unless there are other reasons that outweigh the "everyone-speaks-it-so-whats-the-point" factor. Spanish is a perfect example of this. There are enough positive factors about it that even though "everyone already speaks it" I still want to learn it (granted not right away).

Some people have chosen theirs based on availability of resources or speakers or whether or not a language is dead or nearly extinct. I picked my choice based on personal preference.

5 persons have voted this message useful

Adamdm
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5232 days ago

62 posts - 89 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Dari, German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 215 of 346
18 June 2010 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
Levi wrote:
Adamdm wrote:
Rather ironic, if you think that the aim of Esperanto was to replace the wonderful diversity of natural languages, that Esperantists were so interested in languages.

Wait, what? Since when was Esperanto about replacing the diversity of natural languages? Zamenhof's goal in creating Esperanto was to have a worldwide second language so that people of different linguistic backgrounds could communicate with each other. It is a misconception that Esperanto was intended to be used as a first language to displace other languages the way that English and other major languages are currently doing.

Thank you for putting me straight.

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5228 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 216 of 346
18 June 2010 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Levi wrote:
Chalk me up as another person who thinks this thread serves no purpose other than getting people mad.

Agree with you there, pretty much.

Ubik wrote:
People are so quick to get their panties in a bunch and in a lot of cases (especially people in the US) [...] If it wasnt crammed down our throats to get insulted at stuff like that, most people wouldnt even think for a second that something so harmless is actually insulting.

Also agree with you. I personally like Esperanto and yet I'm able to read about the above folks who think it sucks without commenting. Ah crap! ;-)

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 346 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version