Yugoslavia
Joined 5198 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 217 of 346
18 June 2010 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Now, I cant speak for individuals who might come in and say something like "I dont want to learn Spanish because I hate Mexicans!" or something -- thats obviously a racist statement (which no one thus far has made thankfully)

Good thing I didn't say anything then. :-D

Edited by Delodephius on 18 June 2010 at 1:14pm

1 person has voted this message useful

justberta
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5380 days ago

140 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: English, Norwegian*
Studies: Indonesian, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 218 of 346
20 June 2010 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
Any language within a country I can't travel to, for instance because it's too expensive
or they don't allow foreigners at all.
I second Esperanto. I have never heard it spoken out loud, it has no culture, and we
already have English and Spanish.
I could probably do without Norwegian and German, except for their literature.
Something spoken by very few native peoples in the Americas, when would I ever need
that...

johntm93
United States
Joined 5122 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 219 of 346
21 June 2010 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
Esperanto-It's useless
or
Japanese-No need for it, I don't want to learn 3 alphabets, the only people to talk to are Japanese (very few here) and weeaboos (Americans who are obsessed with Japan because of anime, they are usually annoying and bad at Japanese)

Akao
aka FailArtist
United States
Joined 5131 days ago

315 posts - 347 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Toki Pona

Message 220 of 346
21 June 2010 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
I would actually like to learn Esperanto as a stepping stone... but whatever. On to the
point.

5. Korean - Number system, but this one is mild because I love the alphabet and the
accent.

4. Xhosa - I would much rather learn Zulu, and Zulu has very little resources to begin
with.

3. English - Even though it is probably the world's most useful language and I already
know it, I almost hate everything about it linguistically. It is just not enjoyable for
me.

2. Native American languages - Almost no resources, the writing systems are illogical
and the time needed would be a waste for such little result, but they sound pretty
awesome.

1. Maori (or any Aboriginal language) - Similar to Native American languages, but these
don't sound awesome. They are far from it. Not to mention the ridiculous length and
orthography of words.

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5491 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 221 of 346
21 June 2010 at 6:14am | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
Esperanto-It's useless
or
Japanese-No need for it, I don't want to learn 3 alphabets, the only people to talk to
are Japanese (very few here) and weeaboos (Americans who are obsessed with Japan
because of anime, they are usually annoying and bad at Japanese)

This is just a general comment and by no means directed just at you, but...

I'd really wish people would stop bringing up that Japanese has three (omg three?)
alphabets like it's some huge impediment or big thing. Japan has one really hard
writing system (Kanji) with two sets of very analagous and fairly trivial syllabaries.

Phrasing it this way is like saying: Man! English has two different alphabets
that you have to learn. In English you even mix these two alphabets in the same word
(crazy!).

I do mildly agree with your Esperanto and anti-weaboo sentiments though, haha.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5122 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 222 of 346
21 June 2010 at 6:19am | IP Logged 
egill wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
Esperanto-It's useless
or
Japanese-No need for it, I don't want to learn 3 alphabets, the only people to talk to
are Japanese (very few here) and weeaboos (Americans who are obsessed with Japan
because of anime, they are usually annoying and bad at Japanese)

This is just a general comment and by no means directed just at you, but...

I'd really wish people would stop bringing up that Japanese has three (omg three?)
alphabets like it's some huge impediment or big thing. Japan has one really hard
writing system (Kanji) with two sets of very analagous and fairly trivial syllabaries.

Phrasing it this way is like saying: Man! English has two different alphabets
that you have to learn. In English you even mix these two alphabets in the same word
(crazy!).

I do mildly agree with your Esperanto and anti-weaboo sentiments though, haha.

Sorry, I did kind of make it seem like I didn't know what I was talking about there.
Ironically I am trying to learn Mandarin with Traditional characters, so I guess for me the three alphabets isn't the main impediment.
But I don't really like Asian languages too much (although I'm learning Mandarin and will learn Korean)

apatch3
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5980 days ago

80 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: Pashto, English*
Studies: Japanese, FrenchA2

Message 223 of 346
21 June 2010 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
I despise the stereotypes against anime fans. Simply because we share a hobby that's greatly enriched by being able to speak Japanese doesn't make every second anime fan who learns japanese a "weaboo". In fact in the long run we're more likely to be successful than people who have no interest in the home country/ies of their target language and are just learning for the sake of learning.

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5699 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 224 of 346
21 June 2010 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
Akao wrote:

5. Korean - Number system, but this one is mild because I love the alphabet and the
accent.

4. Xhosa - I would much rather learn Zulu, and Zulu has very little resources to begin
with.

2. Native American languages - Almost no resources, the writing systems are illogical
and the time needed would be a waste for such little result, but they sound pretty
awesome.

1. Maori (or any Aboriginal language) - Similar to Native American languages, but these
don't sound awesome. They are far from it. Not to mention the ridiculous length and
orthography of words.

Actually you picked all the languages I am learning or want to learn... ^_^

Zulu actually is easier than Xhosa, pronunciation wise, but vocabulary and grammar wise
very similar... actually all Nguni language are mutually intelligible... if you hear
them talking here you hear things like "Zulu is just lazy Xhosa" and "Swazi is just
Zulu with all "t" turned into "z"... but about resources, there actually are a lot for
both Xhosa and Zulu in southern Africa, but getting them outside the region probably is
very hard. Zulu is kinda more useful cause there are just more people speaking it and
it's used as a lingua franca in many places.

The funny thing is that your reasons for not wanting to learn Native American langs or
Maori are exactly the reasons why I would want to learn them

This discussion contains 346 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version