Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5198 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 297 of 346
26 December 2011 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
I'm 100% certain I would never want to learn Esperanto.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jellitto
Diglot
Finland
Joined 4695 days ago

17 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: German, Swedish, Japanese

Message 298 of 346
30 December 2011 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
The last languages me to learn are probpaply arabic and african languages. I am not interested in them, not in
language or culture. I'd like to speak Esperanto even if I don't need it in my life so much. And when I study other
languages, English is starting to piss me of!
1 person has voted this message useful

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4861 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 299 of 346
30 December 2011 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
I'm open to learning any language if I can get it to the top of my priorities list...

tarheel7496
United States
Joined 5524 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Mandarin
Studies: Greek

Message 300 of 346
01 July 2012 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
For me it's French, even though I took 2 years in High School. I learn a language because I love the country, the people, the culture, the history or plan to visit. I have zero desire to visit France as an American. I have been told numerous times by family and friends who have visited that Americans are generally not welcome there and that if your French isn't perfect that they are unhelpful and disgusted by it.

So French is right below Esperanto and Arabic on my list of useful languages to learn.

However I can see how someone would be offended by this thread.

Everyone's opinion will be different. The only language you shouldn't learn is the one you don't want to learn. To each his own.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4431 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 301 of 346
01 July 2012 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
tarheel7496 wrote:
For me it's French, even though I took 2 years in High School. I learn a language because I love the country, the people, the culture, the history or plan to visit. I have zero desire to visit France as an American. I have been told numerous times by family and friends who have visited that Americans are generally not welcome there and that if your French isn't perfect that they are unhelpful and disgusted by it.

So French is right below Esperanto and Arabic on my list of useful languages to learn.

Everyone's opinion will be different. The only language you shouldn't learn is the one you don't want to learn. To each his own.

I've heard that mainly they don't have patience for the Americans who address random people off the street in English. It must also be a Paris thing because I'm pretty sure people from NYC and London can be just as rude and unwelcoming too.
6 persons have voted this message useful

tarheel7496
United States
Joined 5524 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 302 of 346
01 July 2012 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
sillygoose1 wrote:
tarheel7496 wrote:

I've heard that mainly they don't have patience for the Americans who address random people off the street in English. It must also be a Paris thing because I'm pretty sure people from NYC and London can be just as rude and unwelcoming too.

Good point. Although I've actually found New Yorkers to be quite helpful in my few trips there. Maybe I just asked the right people or I got lucky. :)

ElBrujo
United States
Joined 4503 days ago

29 posts - 52 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 303 of 346
01 July 2012 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
tarheel7496 wrote:
For me it's French, even though I took 2 years in High School. I
learn a language because I love the country, the people, the culture, the history or
plan to visit. I have zero desire to visit France as an American. I have been told
numerous times by family and friends who have visited that Americans are generally not
welcome there and that if your French isn't perfect that they are unhelpful and
disgusted by it.

Everyone's opinion will be different. The only language you shouldn't learn is the one
you don't want to learn. To each his own.

I'm sure there's more to France than just Paris. And I highly doubt that Americans are
'not welcome' in Paris. Sounds like nonsense to me.

Also, why not pass judgement through first-hand experience and not hearsay?

Edited by ElBrujo on 01 July 2012 at 2:32am

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarheel7496
United States
Joined 5524 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 304 of 346
01 July 2012 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
ElBrujo wrote:
tarheel7496 wrote:
For me it's French, even though I took 2 years in High School. I
learn a language because I love the country, the people, the culture, the history or
plan to visit. I have zero desire to visit France as an American. I have been told
numerous times by family and friends who have visited that Americans are generally not
welcome there and that if your French isn't perfect that they are unhelpful and
disgusted by it.

Everyone's opinion will be different. The only language you shouldn't learn is the one
you don't want to learn. To each his own.

I'm sure there's more to France than just Paris. And I highly doubt that Americans are
'not welcome' in Paris. Sounds like nonsense to me.

Also, why not pass judgement through first-hand experience and not heresay?

I admit it's not first hand experience and I admit I am generalizing as I've never been to France. But it's not hearsay. I trust the people that have had the experience and they are all well traveled. More than just a "Paris" experience.

People decide to learn and choose not to learn languages for a host of reasons. Some seem silly to other people. This may be one of those instances but after all we can't learn EVERY language so I'm thankful for a reason to eliminate some. Otherwise I would never sleep. :)

This discussion contains 346 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version