MarcusOdim
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4642 days ago

91 posts - 142 votes 

Message 289 of 346
25 December 2011 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
Any Asian language but Japanese or Korean, I can't stand the Chinese Languages
Or any language that, despite beautiful, would take too long to learn, it's simply not worth it (to me), I love when I try out something new to me like Catalan and I'm "surprisingly" able to read an entire newspaper having never studied the language
1 person has voted this message useful

jarm
Australia
Joined 4707 days ago

33 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 290 of 346
25 December 2011 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
Languages which I don't have good access to resources and speakers. After studying some minority languages, it can be really frustrating to learn a language when you simply don't have enough information on it. More or less under a couple million speakers, most languages don't seem to have much.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5661 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 291 of 346
25 December 2011 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
Rather than a language, I would identify an aspect of languages that makes it more
difficult for me to speak. That aspect is the "need" to "perform" a bit. I find Dutch and
German easier to speak because you can just "speak" them. For French and Spanish, I think
you need more enthusiasm, emphasis and some sense of drama. I guess I am just a
monotonic, reserved speaker, without the passion of an actor which I think helps for
Latin languages. Nevertheless, I am learning French and Spanish, as well as Dutch and
German.

2 persons have voted this message useful

birthdaysuit
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4612 days ago

48 posts - 101 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Swedish

Message 292 of 346
25 December 2011 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Unrealistic, but I'd like to learn ALL the languages of the world. I really can't think
of anything better than being able to speak to everyone in their native tongue.
4 persons have voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5051 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 293 of 346
25 December 2011 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
birthdaysuit wrote:
Unrealistic, but I'd like to learn ALL the languages of the world. I really can't think
of anything better than being able to speak to everyone in their native tongue.

Really? Even the Kusunda language?
3 persons have voted this message useful

birthdaysuit
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4612 days ago

48 posts - 101 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Swedish

Message 294 of 346
25 December 2011 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
Why not? You know what they say about languages on the verge of extinction? When that
language dies so too do all herbal remedies that the natives passed down over the
generations. Stories also. Just because a language isn't spoken by many, doesn't mean it
isn't useful. Or pleasant.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Carisma
Diglot
Argentina
Joined 5417 days ago

104 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC1
Studies: Italian, Mandarin

Message 295 of 346
26 December 2011 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
You know, if I had the time and someone offered me a free class, free books and free
audio on any language most likely I would say yes. But if I had to pick the last language
I would learn... Probably German because it is insanely difficult, or Arabic because
Standard Arabic is not so useful due to the dialects.

Humdereel
Octoglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4773 days ago

90 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written), Turkish, Persian, Urdu
Studies: Russian

Message 296 of 346
26 December 2011 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
When it comes to learning languages, I love each aspect of the language: speaking, writing, and reading, so I tend to go for ones that...

-I'm going to be able to speak with others
-One that has a rich literary history
-In general, one that I'll personally be able to use

This is what attracted me to Arabic and Persian. Yes, MSA isn't immediately practical for everyday speaking, but it gives you access to an incredible body of literature, and it is very important if you're interested in learning and seeing the relationships of the different dialects. Persian also offers a spectacular literary history, and I have friends that speak it and thus it has been of a lot of use to me.

So basically, if I can use it and have a strong interest in the culture, I'd go for it. As a result, I'm unlikely to study Mandarin, Finnish, Slovak, Japanese, etc. Although I tend to be interested in all world cultures, there's only some that interest me so much that I'd learn the language.

In addition, I have no interest whatsoever in artificial languages such as Esperanto. It's just not my plate of couscous.

Of course, there are exceptions to some of these rules, since I'm interested in some indigenous African languages that may not be known for their literature as much.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 346 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version